Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Halfords bike to work, what brands?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

What brands of bike can you get through the bike to work scheme in Halfords? Does it have to be what they have on their site? I'm looking for a touring type bike for a mate around £700?

wwaswas

they've always claimed they can get pretty much everything – even brands they don't normally sell/have no agreement with distributer on.

Admiralable
    Free Member

I got a Scale and Allez through Halfrauds cycle scheme so yeah they can get most stuff.

stanfree
    Free Member

After promising myself I wouldn't do the scheme this year Ive found out that Ive only 2 weeks to apply . Im thinking of getting a khs which appear to be available on cycle to work.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Ive just got a Cube through them. You get a special number from them and give them a call and you should be laughing.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I got a Charge waiting for me, if they let me take it away next time!

druidh
    Free Member

Lots of small retailers can also take the Halfords voucher, so that should widen your choice.

For a £700 tourer, consider the Ridgeback Horizon.

Crell
    Free Member

Apart from Leisure Lakes who are linked to the halfords scheme, if there are any other "small retailers" in the E Mids that take the voucher that can do a 14" Cube Acid in White / Red drop me an email (in profile),with about £300 of accessories to add as well to use up the voucher. I'd rather give the business to a LBS (none of mine take the voucher).

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers everyone.

Lots of small retailers can also take the Halfords voucher, so that should widen your choice.

Anyone know if there is a list of smaller retailers where you can use the voucher?

You get a special number from them and give them a call and you should be laughing.

Is it just a case of going or calling a Halfords store to get the special number from them?

druidh
    Free Member

Albanach – Member

Anyone know if there is a list of smaller retailers where you can use the voucher?

I've never seen such a thing, but we do (The Bike Chain, Edinburgh)

druidh
    Free Member

Crell – ygm

stanfree
    Free Member

Just go on the official cycle to work scheme website and type in your postcode then they will show you participating LBS in your area.
    My questions are what If bikes are discounted in sales do they still count also If you bought online what setting up would you need to do i.e do brakes need brake fluid , do forks need air are gears set up etc.

5lab

different scheme

i've just popped into my local shops – about 50% would take it, but only on full list price. if you want to avoid the hassle, just tell halfords you want xxx bike nad they'll get it for you

Crell
    Free Member

Cheers Colin, YGM.

Albanach, the helpdesk told me that no-one else could take the voucher. I then asked them about Leisure Lakes and there were a few "err's". It seems to be a bit of a grey area, but there's no list as it were – you just have to ask your LBS. The terms don't seem particularly favourable which is why so few seem to participate in the halfords scheme.

The Halfords "special number" is just the one that's on the voucher for the helpline. As for brands, last year they didn't like Focus, Genesis and Merlin to name but a few, but best just to ring them and see what they say. They do a broader range "officialy" than the one on the site that includes Salsa, Kona and a few others IIRC (All the stores have a catalogue with the bigger range in it), and then there's "special order" as well which is what the helpdesk can sort out – e.g. brands not on the website or in the in-store catalogue that they can (choose to ) sell.

druidh
    Free Member

stanfree – Member

My questions are what If bikes are discounted in sales do they still count

That is going to be up to the retailer, but you must bear in mind that Halfords or Cyclescheme take their "admin" charge out of the dealers margin. Throw in the cost of PDI/build and a free six-week service and it can soon become uneconomic for a small retailer to offer any sort of a discount.

also If you bought online what setting up would you need to do i.e do brakes need brake fluid , do forks need air are gears set up etc.

All bikes should be fully built and PDI'd before being sent out. So, you'd mostly need to fit/straighten handlebars, pre-load the headset and fit a wheel or two.

The main issue regarding distance selling is that Cyclescheme insist that the dealer see photographic ID from the buyer before handing the bike over. We've yet to discover a way in which this can be undertaken remotely 🙂 The rules may be slightly different for Halfords.

iainc

Roddy – they take them at our club shop -)

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Best to phone the halfords line with a list of bikes you want. Be prepared for them not to be able to get that many of the more 'niche' brands such as Planet-x, Focus (Wiggle), and probably BMC now they're Evans only – they just won't deal with Halfords. I was about 6 into my list before the one I got was an option.

I got a Cube (it's very good), and it was delivered pre-built direct from Leisure Lakes, but all done over the phone to the helpline.

I'm getting a Felt or Cervelo in september.

Albanach
    Free Member

Roddy – they take them at our club shop -)

Cheers Iain! Looking to get out on Wednesday for the first time in way too long, maybe see you then!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Halfords bike to work, what brands?’ is closed to new replies.