Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Half marathon in 4 weeks time, will i make it??
  • willard

Surely the beating of your own heart is sufficient music?

Uhuh. Maybe I’ll have to after this lunchtime’s fun run. It started raining as I left the office, pissed down for the whole 10k and stopped just after I got back. Literally just after I got back.

I’m not sure if my iPod still works properly and my running kit weighed a tonne when I took it off. Thanks to the 25mph headwind for the last 4k I was also shivering and couldn’t feel my fingers.

Still got a better than average time though (0:54:36), but need to try and take about 5 minutes off if I want to get anywhere near my self-imposed target time.

I love this running business.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t mean to be horrible, but you’re not really approaching anything near respectability until you’re running 10k in under 50 mins. 8min miles is running, anything more is jogging.

willard

No, that’s what I keep telling myself DD. I look at my times after I get back and keep getting angry with myself about it.

A lot of it is just me getting to a comfortable pace and not pushing myself past it. When I used to run with a GPS I could at least look at the speed and pace and make sure that the two were on track with what I wanted. I might try that for the race actually.

I would also like to point out that I have _never_ been able to run this far in my life, so doing 10k three times a week is quite an acheivement for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Count
    Free Member

Is anyone else on Nikeplus.com ? I could put up a challenge for STW posters.

I always use Nike+ to record every run and use the website to enter challenges and set training goals.

willard

http://www.mapmyrun.com – Google Maps mashup-tastic.

Same sort of thing I think. Says I have run 62 miles this month so far.

antigee

deadlydarcy – Member
    Don’t mean to be horrible, but you’re not really approaching anything near respectability until you’re running 10k in under 50 mins. 8min miles is running, anything more is jogging

and could be running for pleasure rather than the 10k PB which seems to be the be all and end all for many road runners

oldgit
    Free Member

You’ll be alright 1.36 I reckon.
    I say that because I did that time on 40mins of running when I was racing bikes.
    Gave up the bike for a year and did a 1.23.07 in the Leighton Buzzard 1/2. In the finish photo I’m amongst load of really old blokes crossing the line.

zaskar
    Free Member

He should blogg his training and write a book!

AdamT

finbar, giving you the benefit of the doubt on your 1:29 off 30mins treadmill but I’d love to know, however, what other training you were doing?

I ran the Mighty Deerstalker in Traquir nr Inneleithen on Saturday evening, having not done a single run since the 2008 event….. The race is about 13-14k, and climbs Caddon bank and then the big scree slope behind Inerleithen. Despite riding every weekend, I struggled, and although I still finished mid field in 2hrs 15 (464th out of about about 890), my legs were tight on Sunday, and by Monday I had to work from home as descending the stairs was almost an impossibility!

finbar
    Free Member

First time i ever did a half the longest i’d run for was 30 minutes on the gym treadmill and i managed to finish in 1h29m something.

So, you’d only run for half an hour on a treadmill in a gym, then you ran a 13 mile race in 1hr 29mins…averaging under 7 minutes a mie…fair dues…but I don’t believe you.

Schoolboy cross country – not more than half an hour, bit faster than 7 min miling though 🙂

Other training? Swimming, road cycling, three or four runs a week. I honestly never did more than half an hour at a time though, and always at the gym. God knows why, i never run on a treadmill if i can help it now.

On the treadmill i’d normally do the hills programme and at about 14-15 kph.

willard

I wish I could do that… My tactics for the race next weekend are:

1) Find someone that is faster than me and stick with them
    2) Don’t get tripped up
    3) Finish

But to be honest, if I can beat 50 minutes I’ll be a happy man. Then I’ll start thinking about half marathons and the like.

surfer
    Free Member

Don’t mean to be horrible, but you’re not really approaching anything near respectability until you’re running 10k in under 50 mins. 8min miles is running, anything more is jogging.

Depends on you definition of respectability DD 😮

willyboy
    Free Member

i’m doing sheffield half too (my first one). Am currently running 6 or 7 miles once a week (+ walking at weekends/ biking) and am going to run around derwent (about 10 miles – derwent dambuster event) the saturday before. Other than that i’m not doing any other training. I just want to finish rather than being obsessed with a pb time. Hope you manage to finish ok – i’m number 1069 btw

swisstony
    Free Member

i went out last night which was fine but worse was after i went on mapmyrun, turns out i only did 3 miles in 30mins, i thought it must of been about 5! Anyway i’ll keep going and reassess after a fortnight, closing date for entries is the 14th so i’ll hopefully have a good idea if i can do it safely by then, riding tonight though, still got my priorites right!

marsdenman
    Free Member

will you make it?

depends – where the run is and how you’re getting there:-

in Sydney and you’re walking there – sorry, no chance
    in Sheffield and you’re driving – you should be fine……

oh, is that my coat over there….. 🙂

BTW – best of luck fella, I can’t run the length of meself…..

cxi
    Free Member

I’m doing the Sheffield half as well. Ran Stafford as my first half a couple of weeks ago – managed 02:03:44, so target this time is under two hours. I’ve been putting in 30 to 40 miles running a month since January. I was very stiff (oo-er) the day after Stafford but dragged myself out to run a very very easy ~2.5 miles that evening and I think it helped.

Finbar – you’re obviously a racing snake!

Count – Another Nike+ user/addict here 😀

I prefer MapMyRun.co.uk over the .com version – less general crap built into the site.

swisstony
    Free Member

Well i did it, managed to get out 5 or 6 times before and finished in 1:51.47 so i’m very pleased with that, a bit stiff today though.

London Marathon next year!

willyboy
    Free Member

Did you stalk me? I did a 1h51.47 in the sheffield half yesterday (number 1069) Bizarre.

I’d had enough after 9 miles, as it was far too hot for me. Well done.

Jamie
    Free Member

My sis did 1hr52 in the Sheffield half yesterday. She has now challenged me to run the London Marathon with her next year so reckon I better start training 😕

swisstony
    Free Member

willyboy, how weird is that, no i didn’t stalk you though i would have said hello if i’d realised. It was strange running it as i didn’t really enjoy it as such but was glad with how i did.

Jamie, give it a go, i’ve been swept along with the whole marathon thing so i suppose London is the next step, plus i’m 39 next year so it’s one of those things to do before you’re 40. I don’t want it to affect my biking though.

willard

Good going Swisstony!

I managed to get my 10k done in a fraction over 47 minutes, so I’m now about to start training up to half marathons. I say “about to start”, but there may be a slight delay whilst I try and recover from this weekend’s hillwalking in Wales.

Feeling a little bit knackered this morning…

swisstony
    Free Member

well done, you beat your target,

I think it’s a pretty straight forward jump from 10k to 10 miles, what’s in a letter! then if you can do 10 miles you can do 13 (speaking from my extensive knowledge and experience of running!)

cxi
    Free Member

I clocked 1:58:11 for Sheffield yesterday – was a tad warm in places but still a new PB for me so happy with that. The crowd up Ecce’ Road was fab.

swisstony
    Free Member

Well done, yeh i was suprised how many people were along the whole route but esp Ecce Rd. My wife and kids had made a big banner for me which spurred me on.

willard

Cheers Swiss… I like your way of thinking and I reckon if I can switch off, it’ll be easy to do a half marathon (he says after a weekend of hill walking in the Brecon Beacons).

Speaking of being optimistic though, I’m now trying to get into the ballot for next year’s marathon. Optimistic? Me? Never!

I don’t know what’s come over me though. I never used to be a runner, and within the space of a month, I do a 10k run, this thing in Wales and I’m now scouring Runners World for half marathons. I’m even thinking that triathlons are a good idea. Is this wrong? Am I ill? Stupid?

swisstony
    Free Member

I know what you mean, i’m going to do the Great Yorkshire Run in September and i’ll keep an eye out for any other local ones.

I’ve just onto the London Marathon site but it’s bogged down, i didn’t realise it was a ballot.

As for triathlons, i had thought about those but i think it would start to get very competitive and i’d need to train alot more which for me would take the ‘fun’ element out of it?

willard

Fun is relative. Quite frankly I get a buzz out of the adrenaline both before, during and after runs, especially when other people are involved.

it’s like looking at a mountain and saying “Shit that’s tall” at the start and getting keyed up, then doing the ascent and feeling tired and keeping going, then getting to the top and thinking “Hey, I climbed that”.

I want to do the same thing with running. 10k was nice, but I felt fine during and after it. I know I can go further and faster; I just need to find out how far and how fast.

willard

Finally done it…

Now entered into the ballot for next year’s marathon.

swisstony
    Free Member

me too, apparently you’ve got a better chance of running for a charity and going through them to get one of their guaranteed places, i’ve gone through NSPCC.

willard

I’m going to try and go through Help for Heroes and a couple of other charities too, but I thought I had better get in the ballot first.

brassneck

Isn’t that like… tosh?? It depends on the course, thats why a lot of runs are weighted on runner websites by PB potential.

My 10Km from home includes nearly 200M of up (and I suppose an equal amount of down but the two never really seem to compensate for each other), if I hit 50 minutes for that I’ll be a happy man.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Half marathon in 4 weeks time, will i make it??’ is closed to new replies.