Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Half link chains suitable for mtb chain ring? (complete newbie content)
  • hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Right, so I am going to have a BB30 frame with vertical dropouts to include a hanger, and have a FSA mtb chain ring so guessing that means I need a 3/32″
    like so:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/chains-c64/ybn-half-link-chain-p2534/s6536?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ybn-half-link-chain-upg-ybn-mk918-n&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CLW4r_q1-cYCFWYOwwodKUQOQA

Do half link mtb chains make life easier when adjusting chain wear and tension?

I’m guessing errr hoping I won’t run into difficulty…?

I’d rather not have a ss tensioner attached to the hanger.

Guidance welcomed.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Half-links stretch* like a mother – don’t bother. Just one half link in a normal chain can work fine though

* Technically they don’t stretch, but happy with that terminology

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Yes, I had briefly read somewhere, think it was a crc review that people were encountering problems with a half link gusset slinky chain for the reasons you mention above probably.

Ok thanks so what a standard Sram SS chain then?

benji
    Free Member

Have used the KMC half link for well over a 1,000 miles with no issues with breakages, etc. It was ideal for me as the ratio I wanted to run left the dropouts too far to the back, half link meant they were all the way forwards.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/kmc-half-link-332-5243-p.asp

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Ok then, I shall look into this tomorrow, thanks for the info guys. 🙂

cp

I run whatever chain comes off one of the geared bikes when it’s getting too worn for the good bikes.

Always keep going for ages, only gets changed when the next chain comes off a good bike.

With your chain ring though you can run 3/16 or 1/8, geared or ss.

I’ve never found ss specific chains to offer much over a 8, 9 or 10 sorted geared chain. In fact the sram pc1’s I’ve used have been appalling. Very quick wear.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

so KMC are an option although rust in no time I found before.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just buy a single half link and use a normal chain. It won’t necessarily mean you’ll not need to use a tensioner though.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Yeah that’s what I am more than likely going to do.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Half link chains suitable for mtb chain ring? (complete newbie content)’ is closed to new replies.