Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Half-link chains
  • gingerss
    Free Member

Are they any good?

I need a 3/32 one and reviews seem fairly critical of them in terms of stretching and breaking.

I don’t want to go for a 1/8 size chain as I had one previously and I think it’s the reason why my front chain ring ended up being chewed up.

Any positive experiences with using these in 3/32 size on a singlespeed for at least 6-12 months?

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Spend the money and you will be fine, avoid cheap ones.

thomthumb
    Free Member

not really.

Andy-R

Why bother? – just use something like a KMC Z610.

gingerss
    Free Member

Andy, I have quite a neat tensioning solution, but it’s a little limited in range in that it’s only about 3/4 of a link.

So, my options are to either find a half link chain of good repute, or change my tensioning solution.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just fit a 3/32 hlaf link to a standard chain?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Infact, here you go, Ive done the work for you

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chain-half-link-3-32-inch-each-prod6982/

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Half-links are more “stretchy” than standard links, as the double-kink in the side plates can be bent back. So a chain made of them is going to stretch waaayyyy fast. But a single link in a normal chain should be fine.

wwaswas

my experience of a half link chain was that it weighed abotu 4lb’s – I think they’re mostly designed for bmxers to grind on…

gingerss
    Free Member

Thanks all. Very helpful link David, cheers.

jonba
    Free Member

Slightly confused by the stretchy comments. I always assumed stretch was wear at the pin and surrounding roller rather than elastic stretch. If that is the case I can see no reason they would stretch any faster, maybe the wheel slipped?

I’ve always used gusset or clarks and as above they weigh loads as they are often designed to grind.

Check out crc including the bmx section.

jonba
    Free Member

Is it possible to buy those halflinks in bulk anywhere. It’d be much cheaper to do that and use a cheap singlespeed chain than spend £20 on a halflink chain everytime.

No, halfink chains aren’t the same as standard chains so you can’t just buy one and split it unfortunately. It migh only be aesthetic but the plates are a different shape.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive used half link chains on my bmx, they always stretch very quickly. But its no problem to just remove a link and then they’re good again after that.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Half links are stretchy and heavy.

A half link chain gives you adjustment of +/- 1/4″, altering your chain ring size by 1 tooth gives adjustments of +/- 1/8″. These dims are in terms of CS length.

Go for a neat regular chain, then adjust chain length with chain ring size?

6-12 months from a chain, you’ll be very lucky to get that from a half link chain. On my BMX, with a 1/8 chain, i get about 6 months before it has “stretched”.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I always assumed stretch was wear at the pin and surrounding roller rather than elastic stretch

It is on a normal chain, the bend in the half-links give an extra failure mode.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Half-link chains’ is closed to new replies.