Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Half link and single speed
  • clipless
    Free Member

Hello all, sorry if this has been asked before but…..
    Are any of you successfully using half links to tension chains on single speeds??

Advise would be appreciated 😉

wwaswas

It might work for a bit and give you a ‘magic ratio’ but any significant chain wear will tend to leave you with a loose chain.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

got one on the timing belt of my tandem now probs.

Are you trying to run a singlespeed without a tensioner?
    In my experience just take the photo then stick a tensioner on the back it just works better long term.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Use The **** Search

fenred
    Free Member

I use a half link on a 3/32 kmc chain, been on for 2 years without any issues. No tensioner, slot d/outs and single ds chain-tug.

emac65
    Free Member

Use the **** search,how hilarious… 🙄

Anyway,+1 what wwaswas said………….

tomhoward

I use one, but with horizontal dropouts so no real tensioning issues, just a bit of tinkering every now and then.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

emac65 – Member
    Use the **** search,how hilarious…

Hardly.

It’s supposed to be a helpful, straight to the point reply. This topic has been covered loads of times before.

Stop being a lazy **** 😉

binno
    Free Member

better off with just a half link than a complete half link chain as they are noisy and wear fast.

emac65
    Free Member

Hardly.

It’s supposed to be a helpful, straight to the point reply. This topic has been covered loads of times before.

& yet it fails to do any of those things…It just makes you come across as a complete ****………..
    & here’s the smiley face to show it’s just a jokey tongue in cheek comment 😉

or is it……. 😈

clipless
    Free Member

Thanks for all your replies.(Most) where very helpful and a special thank you to davidtaylforth for making me feel welcome to the forum!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sorry, I need to reign it in.

somafunk

I used to run one with my soulcraft and sram pc7x chain as i had an irrational/aesthetic dislike of chain tensioners, it worked ok for a few weeks/1000 ish miles but then i’d have to replace the chain and halflink or fit a tensioner, needless to say i eventually got over my dislike of tensioners.

The halflinks were poorly constructed and were quite often not made to the same width as the sram chains so i’d need to file down the rivets on the halflink to get them to fit the sram chain links.

If i was doing it again in that fashion with horizontal dropouts i’d be tempted to use the problem solver eccentric bottom bracket gizmo.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

WI eno hub does the job.

D0NK

where are you guys getting your half links from? not seen any for a while, CTBM seems to be out, LBS too.

nedrapier

Amazon, I think. Or SJS?

Or Clee. Yes. Last one they had at the time!

Pretty sure it was a Gusset one. No issues at all with 8 speed KMC chain.

D0NK

cheers

ndthornton
    Free Member

Im about to buy one of these – do they come with link pins?

nedrapier

Can’t remember whether mine did, sorry. Call the shop?

Other shops are available, that was just near the top of google shopping and not charging £4 for postage. I’ve not used them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Half link and single speed’ is closed to new replies.