Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Half good bar and stem combo?
  • ton

toughish like, for me.
    idea’s

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got nukeproof warhead stem and ragely carbon wiser bars on my hardtail, no complaints about them yet and pretty light for the money. The Pitch has Evolve Am stem and nukeproof warhead 760mm flat bars similalry no complaints. Bought both setups on the stong/light/cheep basis, picking the lightest bit’s at arround £45 each, although I was more bothered about them being stiff than anything else as the old stem was quite flexy (specialized OEM 70mm on the pitch) and the race face has been much better.

crftom
    Free Member

raceface turbine seem to be the flavour at the moment

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m rather enjoying the el-guapo ancho from on-one, all 810mm of it. Cheap too. Just got a 50mm controltech dh stem on at the moment, a stems a stem.

crftom
    Free Member

Turbine Stem

GW
    Free Member

I’ve got

rather irrelevant I’d have thought

if it’s for DH at your weight I’d be tempted go with a burly 22.2 BMX stem and moto bars.

RealMan
    Free Member

Every rider knows how important a good stem is when you’re heading out on the trail as it forms the link in your control between your bars and fork and a good stem can be the key in transforming a bikes handling and improving your ability to pick through tight singletrack or over rocky terrain.

….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got

[quote]rather irrelevant I’d have thought[/quote]

Why? Like I said, I went out and picked the stiffest/lightest combinations for the money I was spending, tried a few other’s and they were either less stiff (specialized OEM) or much heavier (easton vice) or much more expensive (thompson). So as oppinions go I’d say I backed it up better than “bmx stem and MX bars”, which might be Ok, but then again they’re designed to be clamped to the yolks about 6″ appart, not in a 1″ wide stem.

….

Agree or disagree? I reckon the OEM Spesh stem on my pitch flexed more than the sketors, it was certaily a more noticable difference swapping the stem (to easton vice) than it was later swapping the forks to lyriks. So I’d be inclinded to agree. Although I’d probably say that there’s less difference between 2 good stems as the Evolve AM that replaced the easton vice only felt marginaly less stiff so appart form swapping and testing them back to back you’d not notice.

vorlich
    Free Member

Thomson/Sunline V1 745?

I’m 15st FWIW

IHN

Can anyone, honestly, feel ‘flex’ in any half decent bar and stem? Really?

monkeyboyjc

type of riding?
    rise?
    weight?
    price?
    width?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Sunline V1 stem & alu bars on the BFe

Easton Haven stem & carbon bars on the Soul

All very good.

Clobber
    Free Member

I can feel my V1’s flex

ton

if it’s for DH at your weight I’d be tempted go with a burly 22.2 BMX stem and moto bars.

just had a good look.
    they come up bloody cheap in comparison to mtb stuff.
    cheers mate.

GW
    Free Member

Yer welcome 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

Renthal/Renthal?

PJM1974
    Free Member

YMMV but for not a lot of cash you can have a D31Eight stem from Raleigh which is pretty good. I’ve got one on my hardtail with a set of Funn Fatboy bars for all of my 711mm wide hardtail kicks.

I reckon the OEM Spesh stem on my pitch flexed more than the sketors, it was certaily a more noticable difference swapping the stem (to easton vice) than it was later swapping the forks to lyriks

I’ve had this happen before. I once swapped a Spesh stem to a Hope and instantly noticed a difference in stiffness, which I’d previously blamed on the forks.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Half good bar and stem combo?’ is closed to new replies.