Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Half decent hybrid SUV?
  • Kryton57

Toyota – is that it? 😐

aP
    Free Member

Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid
    Mercedes GLE500e
    Lexus NX300h/ RX450h

bamboo
    Free Member

Biscuits anyone?

matt_outandabout

Biscuits anyone?

Kettles on.

Three pages, one apology and two aggressors.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m getting in here quick.

Is this part of the new and exciting (or whatever it was) phase where you’re I’m no longer yearning for material items? Hang on, found it – I’m at the bottom of a rise of re-invention, of a new adventure that’ll have more integrity and meaning. It’s all about loving the planet 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Define SUV?

Peugot 3008?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nexus NX300h is nice, I looked at one recently but I’m not that keen on its styling. It’s odd from a number of angles that you’d expect it not to be.
    Blooming quiet and comfortable though, nippy considering the weight of the thing, bit small inside (smaller than my XC60) but by golly the seats are spectacularly comfortable and the vision out of it is excellent. It’s all a bit complicated inside guiding through all the menus on the screen, too many to figure out in the weekend I had it. I averaged 46mpg, but I do drive like my grandad in his slippers, and the salesman said it should do 50aves.. the rear boot is remotely opened and it’s fabulous.
    The car I drove was Gold (it was awful in that colour) the white ones are nice enough but if I go for one it’ll be black so it can hide all the odd angles..
    I’d give it 9/10, it’s just a bit on the expensive side if you add a couple of items to it (but most are standard)

It’s on my list.

From £32k..

molgrips
    Free Member

I averaged 46mpg, but I do drive like my grandad in his slippers, and the salesman said it should do 50aves

Yeah these efficient cars benefit from loosening up over the first year or so.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Righto. So id better get saving for whatever i want to in 12 months! Ive no issue keeping my current car.

Anyone who responds to this thread is wasting their time for at least 12 months 🙄

Kryton57

Its no secret from the last thread that we’ve been test driving, and although she now wants an X1, its too expensive there’s no Hybrid option. I need to restart the process…

flange
    Free Member

I need to restart the process…

hahahah brilliant! So 135i, RS4…there must have been others?

(Having taken the piss, I will say that I bought my last car from a Lexus dealership and they were flipping brilliant. Can’t speak for the cars (mine wasn’t a Lexus) but based on the service I got, I’d consider one for my next car)…

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’d contest there is no such thing as a decent SUV.
    If you want to go off-road, get a 4×4, if you want room get an estate.

Rockape63
    Free Member

ridiculous….you sit higher in an SUV than an Estate, which peeps like!

… the rear boot is remotely opened and it’s fabulous

So after the test the only thing you really liked was the remote boot! 😀

iainc

fifeandy – Member
    If you want to go off-road, get a 4×4, if you want room get an estate.

or if you want a decent everyday compromise, get a 4×4 estate 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

or if you want a decent everyday compromise, get a 4×4 estate

Careful, we’ll end up back at an RS4 with that line of thinking!

aP
    Free Member

Or a C43 estate…

flange
    Free Member

Or a 520/530/535/540/550d M-sport estate

Kryton57

Not my choice.

Mrs Kryton wants an SUV, she’s only 5’3″ and believes estates are for old people. And as a result of the financials I’m now in for the 120d for the long term, with only about enough cash to by some winter wheels/tyres for that.

tjagain

SUV hybrids are greenwash. Lifetime environmental penalty worse than buying an normal car of similar internal space and much worse than buying a car that actually meets your needs rather than one that is needlessly large

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Upgrade the wife?

My other half wants a Vantage. Or a Defender.
    Will probably end up with another Volvo estate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Agree with SUVs being greenwash – if you give a shit about econonmy, don’t get something that’s much larger than it needs to be.

Lifetime environmental penalty worse than buying an normal car

If you’re talking about hybrids then this is far from proven, and we’ve had this argument before.

flange
    Free Member

Tell her she can’t have one? Does she REALLY need one? 46mpg is a bit of a joke from something that claims to by a hybrid. My 135i will do 40mpg on a run and it was a damn sight cheaper to buy than that thing up there. That’s with a bike on the roof too, at 70mph.

A tinder account is free…

darrell
    Free Member

VW Tiguan

there’s (or gonna be soon) an hybrid version

the new Volvo XC range have hybrids

Bimbler
    Free Member

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, not just a hybrid, a plug in hybrid. Dunno if it qualifies as half decent.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, I really liked the remote opening boot ! I’ve never had one that you can wave a hand or foot near it and it opens, quite amazing (swoons)

Told you the X1 was expensive, if you cost it up it’s about the same cost as the NX.. and the NX isn’t built on Mini underpinnings either.

I agree with the Hybrid greenwash comments, does make you think all that tech gathered from all over the world put into one car that will get you from a-b the same as a small diesel doesn’t make much sense.

But it’s a lovely car.. but I’m coming “down” from an XC60 because I think that’s a bit big and silly for one person.. so maybe the NX isn’t the solution and I should wait for the XC40 small Diesel engined one.

But this ain’t my thread, and I love reading Krytons threads so I’m oot.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If you’re talking about hybrids then this is far from proven, and we’ve had this argument before.

And to be fair, now the big manufacturers are really driving hybrid tech, the strategies and useability (and lifetime) of the hybrid tech is jumping (almost) weekly.
    Even 2 year old stuff is pretty much stone age in hybrid terms, as it will have been designed 4-5 years ago, using 5-7 year old cutting edge technology. Such was the design cycle of a car.

We’re now getting stuff/ideas/concepts from the manufacturers and looking at putting it in to cars we are already developing……..

FWIW The penalties for not reducing tailpipe emissions AND whole lifetime emissions are going to be horrific in 5-8 years time. No one has actual numbers, but we are talking thousands per car for the higher emissions bands. Which is (for some) the difference between staying in business and not.

And 10 years ago, hell, even 5 years ago i’d not have had a hybrid unless it was half the price of an equivalent conventional powertrain. Too many compromises and nowhere near good enough.

Seriously looking at hybrid for the next lease car, then possibly electric after that. And that’s including a 100 mile a day commute.

molgrips
    Free Member

We’re now getting stuff/ideas/concepts from the manufacturers and looking at putting it in to cars we are already developing

I get rather excited about new efficient car tech 🙂

Rockape63
    Free Member

anyways….the Elephant in the room, is not which car to buy, but whether to continue with diesels or buy petrol instead. I was reading that all the people buying diesels now and in the coming years will possibly face a big reduction in their value, thus buggering up their ongoing PCP plans.

Might be more economical, but everyone is wising up to the fact that they are poison!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d hesistate to put new SCR diesels in the ‘poison’ category. I’d like to see proper figures.

matt_outandabout

.you sit higher in an SUV than an Estate, which peeps like!

In which case we would mainly all drive people carriers, as they have high seating and even better visibility out.

Fact is that SUV things are as much fashion image as practicality – in fact most are a triumph of image over practicality.

Yes, I am mr_beige in my grey people carrier….

binners

geoffj

Seriously looking at hybrid for the next lease car, then possibly electric after that. And that’s including a 100 mile a day commute.

Snap! Currently pondering the stick or twist when the current PCP deal ends. I’m not sure keeping hold of even a 2 year old diesel is a good idea in the longer term. But then I’m also amazed at the continuing high numbers of diesel cars I see on 17 plates. Madness – surely.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I had the money I’d probably have a Passat GTE for a main car and a Zoe or Leaf for a town car (for the mrs, I cycle of course).

Rockape63
    Free Member

Fact is that SUV things are as much fashion image as practicality – in fact most are a triumph of image over practicality.

Of course, so whats the problem? They make people (women mostly) happy!

flange
    Free Member

If I had the money I’d probably have a Passat GTE for a main car and a Zoe or Leaf for a town car (for the mrs, I cycle of course).

Jesus Christ really?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes really. Why Jesus Christ?

flange
    Free Member

The car you aspire to is a Passa..

I’m just being awkward and baiting because I’m bored working my notice.

Tallpaul

The new VW Tiguan with the 150ps 1.4 TSi will get you high 40’s MPG if driven sensibly. Healthy discounts and strong residuals make the PCP deals pretty attractive if you are buying new.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, I aspire to a Passat.

Never heard of inverse snobbery? 🙂 Virtue signalling?

iainc

But then I’m also amazed at the continuing high numbers of diesel cars I see on 17 plates. Madness – surely

why is it madness ? I have one of those 17 plate diesels – a large family estate, on a 4 yr pcp. I do 20k miles a year, often journeys which wouldn’t fit with electric or hybrid charging. VED may cost me a couple of hundred extra when I tax it at end of years 1 and 2, and the manufacturer will no doubt want it back for a swop during year 3. So I get a 40 mpg comfy torquey car, on an affordable pcp, with low deposit, and after 3.5 yrs, change to something else. No madness there IMO

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Half decent hybrid SUV?’ is closed to new replies.