Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Half a bambi in the freezer, give me your venison recipes please!
  • Nick

My word that’s a lot of meat, what shall I cook?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stew it with beer

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Curry it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stu_N

Assuming it is wild red deer, then use the very best cuts (fillet/ silverside/ topside) like you would good beef. Go for a fuller red to go with them.

Haunch etc make great casseroles. Google Delia Smith’s Venison with Madeira and chestnuts, that is an amazing dish. Lamb recipies work well with the “on the bone” – e.g. shanks, but turn the oven down 20-30C and add 30-50% to cooking time.

The crappy bits of wild venison have loads of flavour but are a tad difficult to digest. Turn them into stock and you have an amazing base for gravy/ pie juice or game soup.

Roe is more delicate, so treat more like lamb than beef.

yunki
    Free Member

warm sandwiches – lots of ’em.. on a bit of white sliced with ketchup

heuer27
    Free Member

Pan fry the the joint to seal it put it in a warm oven, gas mark 5 ,with lots of butter basted over it .Continually baste whilst cooking . Do not overcook the meat it should be proper pink inside. Let the meat rest before serving.
    Make up a sauce with a full bodied red wine adding some bitter chocolate at the end letting it melt into the sauce . Serve with steamed winter veg and mash.
    WARNING This is not a diet recipe.!

Stu_N

BTW because venison is inherently slightly sweet, wines with a lot of Syrah/ Shiraz, Mouvedre or Merlot in them totally flatter the meat and the wine. Anything Cab Sauv led with bugger the meat and the wine. We’ve done loads of research into this 8-S

Nick

Cheers folks there’s some good ideas there, must def try a choc sauce I think, plus Madeira and chestnuts sounds bang on to me.

Have done it in beer before and that always comes out well, barded with shards of frozen streaky bacon pushed into cuts in the meat then smeared with mustard, braised in a bottle of old peculiar 😀

niallmb
    Free Member

pour a bottle of red wine into a slow cooker and add the venison. Go to work and come home to the most amazing meat ever.

Rules for the wine are simple: If you wouldn’t drink it, don’t cook with it

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Half a bambi in the freezer, give me your venison recipes please!’ is closed to new replies.