Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Haldon (or alternatives: half-term riding with a 14yr old)
  • OCB
    Free Member

Half-term seems to have moved this year, which means it [now] collides with my week off … 😥

So … what’s Haldon got to offer a competent, fit-enough 14 year old riding a decent ‘normal’ XC bike? I’ve only ridden up there once in about 10 years so I’ve kinda lost touch, and the FC website is a bit light on detail. I’m not worried about riding anything on the sly … if the set trails are ok, that’ll be fine, (an’ I’ve generally got a nose for finding other stuff anyway).

He’s got a good riding range, so I’m eyeing up a trip into the heart of the Southern Moor, but if the weather is going to make that hard going / risky, or, if his mum is too concerned about it, Haldon might be an alternative to our normal back-lanes and bridlepaths.

Failing that, is there much riding up the other side of the Teign Valley, in amongst the lakes at Kennick / Tottiford and Trenchford?

(Disclaimer: this is with my cousins lad, not an example of poor parenting 😉 )

munrobiker
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was there this week. There were kids everywhere at the trail centre- the Red trail was good fun with nothing difficult. Thoroughly enjoyable and the youth will like it because it’ll make him feel fast. The blue is good too.

The sneaky stuff was good but a bit “rad” in places if he’s new (I was surprised by how interesting it was- muddy and wet with bus stops and roots everywhere on a decent gradient).

Visitor centre seemed comprehensive so there should be trail advice in there.

monkeyboyjc

Haldon would be fine. There is a face mix of trails – family ‘blue’ through to red and a black DH. Theres also a small pump track up by the car park.
    As for the other side of the teign valley, there’s quite a few bridalway routes but I’d stick with haldon.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

First time at haldon I really didn’t gel with it. Skip forward 8 months and tried it again and it’s ace! The blue is flowy and the red is flowy and fairly technical without being too daft.

I reckon he’d love it…

Mbnut
    Free Member

Hi

I take my lad, just turned 13 and he loves it.

Pump track and small skills area are ok t warm up on and gives the kids somewhere to play while you enjoy a cuppa.

The Blue – A flowing track that has a few loop options that allow you to do a short loop, not very exciting, to the long loop, very pedally on the far side of the road, and the middle loop which works very well. It is a flow trail with very doable climbs and it rewards speed, the faster you go the fun it is… my lad has got quicker and quicker round there and has started to get the fabled ‘flow’ so a great trail for a learning youngster.

The Red – is another flow type trailthat again can be done in loops. The first loop is a good distance for a youngster and is quiet flowy with some small sections that require some better bike handling skills, a good progression on from the Blue. The second loop becomes rougher in places and leads down to the Black section.

All in all for a 14 year old that likes riding it is a great place to gain confidence on the Blue before going on to the Red first loop.

I’d say go twice in the week and progress correctly and he will takes big steps forward in terms of confidence, strength and skill… make sure he has the basics right though, eyes up looking down the trail and speed adjustment done before rather than in the corners and bingo… he will be left buzzing.

OCB
    Free Member

Ta!

That sounds like a decent ride anyway – not just as an alternative if the ‘moorland adventure is off.

🙂

TiRed

The skills centre is worth the trip alone. My 14yo has ridden Afan, Cymcarn and Cannock this year (plus Swinley regularly), and he still raves about the Skills centre at Haldon. It’s very good and not just for kids. My 11yo liked the blue run, despite the rain.

The Red run is on the side of the hill and not overly technical. The black excursion was fine on his FS, and a little hairy on my rigid (it was raining). There is a longish drag of a hill back to the top, and my 14yo only “does down”, so you’ll be waiting.

The cafe is excellent.

walla24
    Free Member

Haldon has a lot to offer 🙂
    Pop into the bike hire shed and talk to the tall lad if you need any trail advice

Oh and if its not raining, come in the morning! Much much quieter 8)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Haldon (or alternatives: half-term riding with a 14yr old)’ is closed to new replies.