Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Haldon Off Piste
  • Bucko

Sorry to create a whole thread about it but I’m heading to Haldon this week for the first time in about 6 months and I just St wanted a few hints or advice about the trails affected by the felling. Steak and chips was closed near the top and I guessed that Kim Jong-il and the other trails that side were also affected.

Is that still the case?

Del

Hey Up.
    all open apart from Harassment/The Wine Line below the Blue, which has been closed for ~ 18months, and Smelly Ring, which is closed at the bottom of the Chute – there’s no access to the blue without going right to join Ring Ring.
    Timmy has put some berms on Ring Ring parallel to the Tabletop, turning off earlier – very obvious line, and they’re really nice. 8)
    A bit of Teepee has been harvested ( should you care ), otherwise Kim etc all fine.

amedias
    Free Member

Timmy has put some berms on Ring Ring parallel to the Tabletop, turning off earlier – very obvious line, and they’re really nice

They are indeed, (soon to be) Mrs Amedias had a giggle fit after her first run down them a few weeks back and promptly span her way back up for two more goes 🙂

Pretty much everything is running really nicely up there at the moment.

Bucko

That’s great news guys, only ridden there about 2 or 3 times in thematic 18 months due to moving to Somerset. Cheers

kermit
    Free Member

Ooh. This is an interesting thread! 🙂

I’ve been to Haldon a couple of times, as it’s the nearest place I’ve found to my parents in ilminster to take my kids (9yr old happily sailed round the red route on Saturday), but the notion of anything a bit more fun for when my wife lets me off the leash would be very welcome!

My full suss usually stays at home on family outings, but if anyone can provide any pointers to stuff that can be handled by a middling trails rider on a 115mm travel steel hardtail, I’d love to hear it! 😀

Del

it’s all on strava, but i’m happy to show you around if you like. early mornings aren’t really my thing but most other times i can do ( around normal working week ).
    otherwise roll around with your eyes open.

Clink

I’m down that way with work today so hoping to pop in on way home. Any pointers to where off-piste is – or am I best just to explore?

sammaratti
    Free Member

What part of Haldon are you guys referring to here please, ive only ever done the graded trails and unaware of any other sections.

Please could someone point me to these trails.

ajantom

Explore, Strava is your friend. Lots of trails on both sides of the road. Be aware that some of the stuff is pretty technical, very different from the red and blue runs.

sammaratti
    Free Member

ajantom,

Yeah I think your probably right. Although I wouldn’t know where to begin with strava.

I tend to only go to Haldon for a quick easy blast because as you say its not very technical. However if there is more technical stuff to be had then that’s really good and worth knowing about.

Gunz
    Free Member

I looked on Strava and there were only 3 routes off-piste. Is this right or should I type something in apart from ‘Haldon’?

ajantom

Strava heatmap – zoom in on the area, and then use that as a guide to where trails start. I’ve used this technique in the Quantocks, etc. for hard to find trails and it works quite well.

Clink

Technical is good but I don’t use Strava – can I still access the heat map?

ajantom

Yes, you can use the heatmap without being on strava.
    But seriously people, what happened to the art of following your nose? Some trails you find will be pants and some will be cool, but that’s half the fun of exploring a new area. Just pedal round the woods and you’ll see trails heading off into the trees.

Clink

I agree – but only had one hour and wanted a blast. If I had a few hours I’d happily explore.

Gunz
    Free Member

Good point Ajantom, I’ve got 5 hours planned for Haldon this Saturday in preparation for the 24/12. I’m really rather looking forward to exploring (haven’t had the time to do that since those long lost balmy ’93 Summers on my first Kona).

Bucko

Does anyone know if the planned felling and trail closures this week will close much of the off piste?

Del

Not as far as I’m aware.

Oh, in case the person who likes to take trees out of the lines is reading this, please stop it. There are plenty of fire roads if you like straight lines. 🙄

Bucko

Good news Del, I loved it so much last week that I’m heading down again with some mates this week. Ring Ring is better than ever

Bucko

And whats the deal with Cafe side? I went through on my way to St Andrews lane last week expecting to find Tea Pot but was met by a gnar fest?

ajantom

Yeah the Café side has seem some…umm…development in the last couple of years!
    The FC have given permission for building and even help them out with timber for jumps, etc. It has meant that even the tamer trails like teapot and skid risk have gained features like jumps and drops.

Del

no – teapot is still there, just very under-used now, as ‘about time’ gives more distance for the same drop, and there are also one or two other trails that are not too gnar we use on that bit of hill, so usage, at least by us, gets spread. if anything teapot has been dumbed down as one nice feature got cut to make way for a step-up on one of the crossing trails.

you’ll have to come for a spin Bucko. there’s maybe stuff you haven’t seen since the last time you were out. I know you’re not on normal working hours but I have a couple of weeks off in august, and actually, could do with a day off soon, come to think of it….

carlphillips
    Free Member

Cafeside is ace.
    Not sure what’s going on with one trail being locked though?
    Bucko long time no see hope all is well? Surely you have enough going on in the quantocks not to visit haldon!
    Triscombe trails are amazing!

Bucko

Would be good to get out for a spin again Del, I’m hoping to catch up with Luke on a thurs or fri in a couple weeks so maybe we could sort something out. My no. is in my profile if you want it.

I’ll check cafe side out a bit more next time, I only passed through quickly the other day.

Carl, Triscombe is amazing and I get out on the hills twice a week, i’m finding new trails all the time and my Soul with 140 forks is absolutely loving it.

v666ern
    Free Member

Stoopid question – When you say ‘café side’ do you mean the chalet café or the actual café on site, if the first then I can get exploring!

ajantom

To the east of the A380 – so behind the Haldon Chalets Café.

v666ern
    Free Member

THANK You, thats what id hoped – its very flat behind the site cafe 😳

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Haldon Off Piste’ is closed to new replies.