• This topic has 23 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Haldon Hill – Weird goings on
  • ajantom

Just got back from a ride up on Haldon, rode up St Andrew's and got annoyed by the FC felling at the top, but that's a different post 😀

On the way back I was bombing down St Andrew's at top speed, just got to the bottom and had to slam on the brakes as a bloody car was wedged up the bridleway. There was a youngish couple there, and when I asked them what they were doing driving up the bridleway the bloke answered, "something to do innit." Weird.

The car was properly stuck in there, and filled the whole width, so in the end I had to climb over the roof! The bloke then had the cheekiness to tell me not to scratch his paintwork 😆

Like a good citizen I took the reg number and called the local plod when I got back, they're going to go and have a look – the lady I spoke to suggested that maybe they had driven up there for a bit of how's your father! All in all quite an odd end to a ride!

snaps
    Free Member

Lost novice doggers?

ajantom

Could be, though the fact they were so nonchalant about being there was the weirdest thing. They also had a lurcher with em – maybe looking for a field to do some rabbiting?

dropoff

Have the FC started felling Grillside then ? And if so how bad is it ? Was going to go down there tomorrow 🙁

ajantom

Top bit of St Andrews with the jumps is fecked. Also notices ALL over at the entrances to the smaller hillside trails basically saying these are illegal and we be felling all over the place, do not ride them if you value your safety. But in slightly more legal language.

dropoff

Cheers, Bugger !

snaps
    Free Member

Is the new red section open yet?

ajantom

Don't think so, but didn't go down there today.

Bikebreaker
    Free Member

Exreme dogging, or would that be doing it somewhere like Tesco's carpark?

Del

i cleared a line through the top bit of standrews yesterday, ready for the night ride, to join the old twisty turny bit before the lane proper.
    when i was up there they were working the third fire road down ( so if you'd rode all the way down the jumpy stuff that would be the first bit of fire road proper you hit that brings you out into the bowl bit by the standrews start ).
    Teapot was still there and untouched – those trees are quite young still so i preserve hope they'll leave that bit alone.
    the red is not finished yet, though some sections appear complete. the official line in emails from the forrestry is 'please don't ride it', but if that's the case they should sign it appropriately. currently all they have up is 'don't ride for your own safety', which wouldn't do much to disuade the average mountainbiker i wouldn't have thought – they'd be better off trying to appeal to consciences if there is a good reason not to ride the trails IMO.
    rat run is a bit battered in the middle where they're cutting the red through.
    it's not all bad news. there is some new stuff in places you may not think to look. shout if you want showing.

OP, do you have anything to do with phonic?

ajantom

OP, do you have anything to do with phonic?

Yup, DJ badgerstyle, Sunday night show 8-10pm. Or Tom to my mates. Yourself?

CountZero

The car was properly stuck in there, and filled the whole width, so in the end I had to climb over the roof! The bloke then had the cheekiness to tell me not to scratch his paintwork

that's where Danny Mac skillz come in handy, just bunny onto his bonnet, ride up the screen and over the roof, then manual off the boot. Seemples. :mrgreen:

ajantom

I wish! 😛

Del

ah! friends. Naomi ( Cat and Naomi ) and Doug ( Souled out Saturday ). Doug is on here now and then and rides too. he's djing up at the hub sunday BTW.

ajantom

Cool, think I know Doug – at the Hub sunday, you sure? Thought that was being refurbished at the moment (it's been bought by Joss Stone and her mum……I know! What will they do to it!?)

Del

hang on – the centre on haldon hill, not the pub in town! 🙂

ajantom

Ah, confusion, it is late!

Didn't know they did music n stuff up there. What time?

Del

they don't do it very often. seeing him later on – i'll ask.

neilforrow

'he's djing up at the hub sunday BTW'

they keep that quiet… del.. you going up there on sunday? also you riding this weekend?

Del

prolly, but not sure what's on. having a 5hite load of wood delivered in half and hour, that i need to get stained, as my neighbour is helping me build a fence monday/tuesday.
    down at turf this eve, BTW, if you fancy a pint. about 5 on.

foxyrider
    Free Member

sounds like teh Haldon Doggers Society – Newbies – I have heard toes curling stories about what goes on up there!

neilforrow

turf locks?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

So is it borked for a weekend trip there or is it broadly the same as a month or two ago?
    Thinking about an early one there either tomorrow or Sunday.

Del

Neil,
    yup.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Haldon Hill – Weird goings on’ is closed to new replies.