Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • hair clippers recommendation
  • grynch
    Free Member

Ok… who can recommend me some hair clippers ….

I don’t want to go for the Kojac look, but what we call in the states “ a number two “ ( no potty jokes please ) err.. no. 2… is that a term used in the UK for a close cut haircut?

Anyway I’m tired of paying my local barber Chf 45.—(about £ 25. — ) and figure I can do have a half decent job myself………..maybe.

Harry_the_Spider

£25 to get buzzed!?

Go for a ceramic bladed cordless.

A Remmington will set you back about £20 in the Swiss version of Argos.

thomthumb
    Free Member

go to hair dressing supplies – much better quality of clipper for the same money.

disco_stu
    Free Member

i've cut my own hair for the past 15 or so years, its easy enought to do just makde sure you take your time , use a mirror and your hands to feel for any parts you've missed. its worth trimming the hair from different directions to get a good cut as well

i've always used wahl trimmers and they've been pretty reliable.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…your hands to feel for any parts you've missed

What other part of your body could you use? 😛

sofatester
    Free Member

Foot? 🙄

grynch
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

£25 to get buzzed!?

thats the going rate in town.. a mate of mine has found one guy that will do it for about half that but there are two problems there for me.

1) he's about 20miles outta town and I don't feel like blowing a saturday morning just for a cut.

2) he's an albanian refugee, and call me racist, but I just ain't that brave.

grynch
    Free Member

(( waiting for the racist back lash ))

pjt201
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

Go for a ceramic bladed cordless.

Cordless clippers are generally rubbish. Not enough power not to snag on my thick locks. I'd go for something professional, from a hairdressers supplies place as above. Might cost you more like £50 but are bombproof.

I'm going to ingore the blatant, and unnecessary, racism.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Been doing mine for years. Now got a Phillips rechargeable – a cable is a real pain. This one has settings 1-5 and a little hoover/collector thing that stops the bits going everywhere. IIRC about £35 from Boots

tankslapper
    Free Member

Husqvarna 256?

nickc

Missus uses a Babyliss? one she got from boots for £15.00. I presume it must be OK, as none of my friends have commented that I look like a scarecrow, nor do small children run away as I approach. Been going strong for 2/3 years now.

thomthumb
    Free Member

as with pjt i have thick hair – something like a coconut mat. so cable and professional is essential.

tails
    Free Member

either the wahl bellissima cordless

or the wahl predator corded

both can be bought for under a 1er on ebay, buy cheap buy twice. I have messed about with cheap clippers none have lasted more than 2 years. Considering you spend £25 a go it will pay you back in half a year

joemarshall
    Free Member

I have a Wahl one (Super Taper I think), came from some hairdressing supplies site for £40. It doesn't look as fancy as the consumer ones (looks very practical), but it appears to work very well. It has a cable, because I hate the way rechargeable things always turn out to have flat batteries when you actually want to use them. I don't think the cable is a problem.

They come with combs so you can put on a number 2 comb, and in theory all you have to do is run it all over your head and it is done. It is fiddly to do it yourself without missing patches, if you have someone who lives with you, get them to do it for you, quicker & easier. I have my hair cut outside in the yard, or in the bath if it is raining, just because it is easy to clear up (plus if you cut your hair outside in spring, you get to watch the birds pick it up for nesting material which is nice!)

Joe

richmars

Yes, go for Wahl. I had some cheap ones which just stalled in my hair. Spent a bit more (still only about 2 haircuts) in Argos and very impressed. If it only lasts a year I'll have still saved about £100, and that doesn't include savings from my son's haircut.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Once you get your hair length down to a number 4/5 or less the power is not important, however thick your hair is.

Having a cord is a problem because you almost certainly can't use it in the bathroom which is the ideal place to do it.

This is the Phillips. Hoover means no clearing up, and you don't have to faff about changing the combs for different lengths. Had it for about 3 years. Does my head 5-6 times between charges

Bush
    Free Member

Been cutting what hair i've got left myself for 20yrs..always had Wahl clippers.

If you want to cut it in the bathroom over the sink, use an extension lead !! Its what i do. Can do mine in about 5mins on grade half.

B.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I have a corded clipper made by TEKnique a little bit louder than a Wahl but its vibration free and has been running for about 4 years now.

Round my way its about £7.50 for a cut including a beard trim. I reckon my £30 clipper from Sallys hairdressing supplies has saved me £300+

grynch
    Free Member

thanks all, I've got a beard trimmer with the little hoover thing so I think I'll look for one of those in clippers ( the beard trimmer, I think, is just not up to the job with about a one inch wide cutting head )

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Wahl super taper, will last forever, buy cheap buy twice.

jon1973
    Free Member

CaptainMainwaring – I have one of those, isn't it a beard trimmer?

lorax

Wahl Super Taper – worth every penny

sq225917
    Free Member

Wahl, with cable and ceramic blade, anything else is just ponce.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘hair clippers recommendation’ is closed to new replies.