Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Hair clippers
  • aracer
    Free Member

Any recommendations for some hair clippers – I tend to just have a #4 all over when I go to the barbers, and rather than trying to save money I’m trying to save hassle (and actually get my hair cut) given I’ve not managed to find a spare lunchtime to go this year yet.

Anything cheap at Argos any good, or where else should I try?

wheelz
    Free Member

You could try one of these* – bit shorter than a #4 though!

*It’s even bike related, as Chris Boardman tweeted the link earlier today!

Stoner
    Free Member

Id always go for wahls.

When I had a lazy hair cut at Uni that’s what I used. Nice and heavy and precise blades.

Wahl Professional.

End of thread.

scaredypants

I bought a cheapish one ages (8yrs ?) ago – remmington maybe

still works fine. Can’t see that an expensive one would do more than last even longer (fine if you’re a barber but meaningless to a single home user IMO)

loddrik
    Free Member

I use remmington titanium. Every set of Wahls I have tried are crap by comparison.

Joe public Wahl’s I’ve found to be poor.

Professional Wahl’s work & last.

My wife’s a barber and I’m a skinhead (erm…balding slightly).

Davesport

Same as AsSTR 😯

I’ve had my Wahl’s getting on for 15 years & they’re still going. They’ve periodically cut through the frorest of barbed wire that Mik calls hair 😀 perhaps he’ll be be good enough to furnish us with some pictures of the results….yowser….

< Ducks & runs for cover >

D.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm – I presume you’re talking about the £30+ ones? Nothing in the £10 range which is worth getting (I was hoping my link might be a hint to my intended budget)? Or are http://tinyurl.com/6ggalkf likely to be any good? As noted by some, they’re not going to get that much use, so pro-quality not really required.

How much do you pay at the barbers to get your hair cut?

Surely you wont have to miss many cuts to make a return on a decent set, which will actually cut your hair better than a cheap set from day 1 anyway?

People baffle me with false economies sometimes.

aracer
    Free Member

a decent set, which will actually cut your hair better than a cheap set from day 1 anyway?

Yeah, but how much better? Are the cheap ones really that rubbish, or just less durable (which is completely unimportant)? The economics of how much I save not paying for haircuts applies just as well, but I’ve also saved myself another £20.

From personal experience I’ve found they do cut hair better, but then I have really crap fine hair. Why is longevity not an issue though?

Cheap blades will begin to drag sooner than you think, especially if you have thick hair.

aracer
    Free Member

Why is longevity not an issue though?

Because they’ll get less use in a year than a professional set gets in a day.

yodagoat
    Free Member

I agree with Mr Sport. I’ve always had the best results after he’s used his Whals. Grand result.

Fcuikng champion!

Kahurangi

Cheap ones have cords, which are annoying and don’t cut as well so snag and pull your hair, which is painful.

I upgraded to some remington(??) ceramic cordless. The blades are much better and it’s nice to have it cordless. The guards are a bit flimsy but remington replaced mine FOC when it broke.

Harry_the_Spider

I too have Remington ceramic cordless. Not too expensive, no need to lube ’em and they have lasted for donkeys years.

Mugboo

as a barber of 24yrs i’d say professional Wahls will last a lifetime for home use.

the design has not changed in that whole time.

legend
    Free Member

Anyone tried rotary clippers? I like the concept but have idea if they actually work

Pieface

I recently upgraded from heavy corded to a lightweight cordless unit with self sharpening blades. its a clever all in one unit without combs to faff about with, its got an adjustable comb length. It is made by Philips but is about 40 notes

chunkypaul
    Free Member

just get a cheap £18 one from sainsburys – nothing wrong with them, when it dies it dies, who cares its only a chuffing hair clipper not a piece of art…

i normally have a grade 1 chop every three weeks, which is about £138 pa if i go to a barbers so thats £120 extra pa to blow on shiney stuff

allthepies
    Free Member

These:-

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/mens-grooming/180degree-rotating-cutting-element-qc5170_00/prd/

£30 at Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4426051.htm

Available at Asda etc also…

Edit: Sounds like the same one Pieface has

Got a set for Christmas, brilliant!

You gotta love stw. The op asks a question about hair, gets 2 replies from actual barbers and still people argue the toss.

You know what – buy the cheap ones.

Pieface

I have a set if Wahl clippers you can have for the cost of postage

monkeychild
    Free Member

Best thing i did was upgrade to some wahl professionals. Had remmingtons and babyliss and they didnt last. These wahls are amazing!!

MrSparkle

15+ years from my Wahl’s. Excellent bit of kit and have paid for themselves many times over.

aracer
    Free Member

gets 2 replies from actual barbers and still people argue the toss

Maybe that’s because the OP doesn’t need the same thing durability as barbers. Have you understood yet how little they’ll be used (I’m not planning on passing them on in my will – would a barber need to replace a cheap set in 2 weeks, because that’s about the lifetime usage they’ll see)?

anokdale
    Free Member

Buying cheap ones does remind me of the mate who is tighter than a camels starfish in the desert, the nice cheap ones packed in halfway through the job and half his head was no1 and the rest was not LOL cue turning up for work with head covered by hat until a barbers could be visited. Buy cheap buy twice. 😉

I was thinking of getting a set of them babybliss rotarty ones, anyone used a set.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Hair clippers’ is closed to new replies.