Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Haibike electric bikes – anyone tried one?
  • chojin
    Free Member

It seems like I have quite a long way to go before I’ll ever be fit enough to ride my human powered bikes again (long story), so I’m contemplating selling my FS and road bikes to fund a decent eBike.
    Haibike seem to be the only company out there that sell half decent (i.e. proper) MTBs with electric assistance, has anyone ever tried them? Or does anyone know of another brand that sell good eBikes?
    I’d prefer FS simply so I am able to sit down for longer so as not to tire out my legs.

*edit: Anyone want to buy a Yeti ASR5a or a Planet X carbon road bike? 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Can bung a Heinzmann motor on pretty much anything – a Specialized FSR with a motor went out the door today 😉

chojin
    Free Member

Heinzmann… I haven’t looked at that option if I’m honest! Tell me more 🙂

Do they fare ok in the mud?

chojin
    Free Member

Bump for the morning crowd.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, fine in mud – they’re simple DC motors with gearboxes, the downside is that there is some noise, the upside is they’re powerful especially at low speed, and reliable. They’re available for front or rear wheel – the rear wheel needs a screw-on block but it’s possible to get 8-9spd ones. Torque is up to 50Nm, which is pretty good.

The batteries normally go on a rear carrier – on a full sus that’s a bit tricky, can put it on a seatpost carrier or fit it into the frame.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Just get a Stealth Bomber and be done with it 😀

On a serious note, if you wanted a decent mtb with electric power I believe Cube, Corratec, KTM and Scott may have suitable offerings. I’m sure there are more too!

If you’re more into DIY and want more power (and maybe a more capable bike) then you could look at a DIY option such as a hub motor into an existing bike.

I think some of the manufacturer bikes are looking pretty good these days though – especially those with Bosch power.

ton

chojin…….i bought a haibike xduro fs in may last year.
    the fully sus version, built with a pretty good offroad spec.
    i used it to ride offroad around calderdale, which is a pretty testing enviroment, i also used it to do a 300 mile offroad tour in the yorkshire dales and north yorks moors.
    it proved faultless……until the day it broke.
    it flew up climbs, even loose rocky ones, it was fine downhill even on rocky terrain.
    i snapped the frame, and getting it sorted throught the shop i bought it from and throught haibike and winora proved a terrible process.
    if i were buying a offroad ebike again i would choose another brand, but with the same bosch system.
    a rear wheel drive system is not a good one for offroad riding.
    it causes the rear wheel to spin out and lose grip/traction when climbing.
    the ideal system is a bb mounted pedal assist one like the bosch or panasonic one.
    have a look at KTM, SCOTT OR GRACE bikes.

bencooper
    Free Member

Um, BB-mounted systems are rear-wheel-drive 😉

The reason they’re less likely to spin out is that they’re less toquey at low speed than a DC hub motor.

ton

bencooper, that is what i was trying to say….torque on a bb mounted system is not as torquey as a hub motor.
    i just dont come over too understandable when i type, 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Low-speed torque can be tweaked, though – it’s also a matter of adjusting the ramp-up time on the controller. It’s one of these good thing / bad thing things – lots of low-speed torque is brilliant for getting up hills and starting off, but too much will make you wheelspin.

Interestingly, front wheel drive can sometimes be better off-road – you effectively get 2WD as your legs are driving the rear wheel.

chojin
    Free Member

Is it possible to retro fit the Bosch system to a frame? Or does the frame need to be specifically designed to accommodate?

ton

the frame looks designed around the motor….i may be wrong.
    i have a 56cm touring haibike for sale…..with 2 batteries.
    you are more than welcome to come and take it for a good test ride.

chojin
    Free Member

Where abouts are you in this fine country, Ton?

ton

chojin, i am in Leeds. are you nearish?

chojin
    Free Member

Leeds, nae sorry – I’m not sure I could be further away 🙁 I’m a resident of the south coast.
    Thank you kindly for the offer though!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Haibike electric bikes – anyone tried one?’ is closed to new replies.