Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Haha, Sainsburies caught wanting to get more money out of customers…
  • simonm
    Free Member

Classic catch. pretty funny.

Drac

Business wants customers to spend more money shocker.

nemesis
    Free Member

Only 50p?! They need to think bigger!

Is anyone remotely surprised that this happens? Surely everyone knows about it?

Cougar

Quality.

Best bit of that is Morrison’s account wading in at the end, actual LOL for that one.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Retail business caught being a retail business.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

In other news; bear seen exiting the woods, toilet roll in paw.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sainsburies

Heh.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Shows how much notice the staff take of the corporate message. Didn’t even read the sign before putting it up I suspect.

Drac

Shows how much notice the staff take of the corporate message. Didn’t even read the sign before putting it up I suspect.

Or a disgruntled employee.

johndoh
    Free Member

What? They want my money? How dare they.

I’m going to start shopping at……

Errr…..

Ahh.

captmorgan
    Free Member

And finally………

Traffic light changes from Red to Green..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehhh, every job I’ve ever done has had some sort of upselling invovled, even engineering. In a supermarket it was usualy just a case of asking everyone “is that everything?” (allong with the usual bags for life and making sure the sweet counter was full).

stumpy01

Yeah. It’s no different to shoe shops asking if you want insoles/polish/shoe horn etc. when buying a new pair of shoes.

Obviously it was not meant to be put on public view, but hey ho.

Better than our local Tesco’s favourite con of putting an offer for a particular item on the shelf, but actually stocking a different size of the same item in it’s place, so the offer doesn’t actually apply……they love doing it around Christmas time when everyone is busy busy.

retro83
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    Better than our local Tesco’s favourite con of putting an offer for a particular item on the shelf, but actually stocking a different size of the same item in it’s place, so the offer doesn’t actually apply……they love doing it around Christmas time when everyone is busy busy.

Or, they’re staffed by low paid temps around that period who don’t give one trillionth of a fart about items going in the right place.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Absolute con – we got caught by that once and got into a decent sized row at the tills – furious I was ! EDIT it’s not your local store, its a company wide con

toby1

I can see a small rain storm in a teacup somewhere locally … do people who get upset about this stuff have nothing better to do?

Klunk
    Free Member

how does that work anyway ? does the checkout man/women ask “do want to go large on that pot of yoghurt ?” or “have you got enough spuds ? go on have extra roastie!”.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

More like the “Would you like to buy a bar of chocolate for a £?” at the till which really hacks me off?

lunge

Better than our local Tesco’s favourite con of putting an offer for a particular item on the shelf, but actually stocking a different size of the same item in it’s place,

Ahh yes, this is a classic Tesco trick. Normally they have the full sized item at full price for a week then drop 50% off it as a sale for a similar price. They then sneakily replace the full size item with a smaller item and leave the sale price in place. Often the package is the same size, it is the contents that have decreased so you have to look at the packet weight to notice. They’ve done this with Cadbury’s big backs of buttons recently. Dirty behaviour.

To the OP, I’m not sure why this is news. Company want us to spend more with them? Wow.

nealglover
    Free Member

More like the “Would you like to buy a bar of chocolate for a £?” at the till which really hacks me off?

Well, would you ?

If not, just say no thanks and move on with your life ?

What’s to get hacked off about.

russ295
    Free Member

Some one posted a video on my FB weighing a £1 pre priced pack of bananas at asda, it showed 54p on the scales.
    I’m going to try it next time I’m there.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Business wants customers to spend more money shocker.

That was the exact same thing I thought when I read the thread title.

Jamie
    Free Member

Some one posted a video on my FB weighing a £1 pre priced pack of bananas at asda, it showed 54p on the scales.

So something packaged up cost more than something loose?

Facebook. First with all the big stories. Next week…is water wet? What we found out will AMAZE you!

pdw
    Free Member

how does that work anyway ? does the checkout man/women ask “do want to go large on that pot of yoghurt ?” or “have you got enough spuds ? go on have extra roastie!”.

“Did you find everything you were looking for today?”

russ295
    Free Member

Yes water is wet. Bit like your sarky reply.
    It was in my local asda posted by someone I know, so it wasn’t the general bs that’s on fb.
    Would you be happy to pay 46p for a plastic bag?

johndoh
    Free Member

Well, would you ?

If not, just say no thanks and move on with your life ?
    I always say no. It annoys me because sometimes I automatically say no when they ask if I want cash back and I walk away realising that I actually did want cashback 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes water is wet. Bit like your sarky reply.
    It was in my local asda posted by someone I know, so it wasn’t the general bs that’s on fb.
    Would you be happy to pay 46p for a plastic bag?

Ok, I apologise. Coffee has not kicked in yet, but my point does stand that introducing packaging into the equation will affect the price of a product.

russ295
    Free Member

But 46p ffs! 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Looking forward to my Saturday morning shop. Get to the checkout – “I’d like to just give you 50p but…. I’m not going to. Have a nice day.”

D0NK

our local Tesco’s favourite con of putting an offer for a particular item on the shelf, but actually stocking a different size of the same item

I’ve had this, got offered it for the sale price, easy to do if you’re just in to get an item or two, difficult to spot and argue against if you’re doing a big shop.

a £1 pre priced pack of bananas at asda, it showed 54p on the scale

was done on some TV programme a while back, sometimes loose cost more, daft pricing, just need to check what you’re buying (and use the calculator app on your fone)

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

It’s a stupidity tax.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Generally loose is cheaper. Why someone is surprised that something that has been picked up, weighed, put in a bag and re-boxed is more expensive than something that skips that whole process is beyond me. I agree 85% increase is a lot but is that’s sometimes the price of convenience.
    And if anyone thinks that Sainsburys is the only company who has their staff try and get more money out of their customers is living in cloud cuckoo land. Any shop that doesn’t do that ain’t staying in business very long. Directly or indirectly every retail outlet does it.
    This was just someone mistakenly putting the poster up in the wrong place.

grievoustim
    Free Member

with the whole prepacked/ loose thing – you just need to check the cost per kg which is displayed (by law I think) on the label or price ticket on the shelf

I thought everyone did this – generally loose is cheaper but not always. Whats interesting is that loose is often cheaper than pre-packaged “value” branded fruit and veg, which is not on IMO

ourmaninthenorth

I’m going to try it next time I’m there.

Ah, two things I don’t do: Facebook and Asda.

Drac

Looking forward to my Saturday morning shop. Get to the checkout – “I’d like to just give you 50p but…. I’m not going to. Have a nice day.”

That’ll teach them as the staff member looks with a WTF? expression.

The pre-pakced thing is a well known profit maker as people love convenience they all do it even cheap stores like Lidl.

montarius
    Free Member

I don’t understand how the staff working at a supermarket have any influence over this at all?

The only thing stores can do is run promotions or print coupons at tills but this is something decided by the store manager / sector manager surely?

Its not like they can approach a customer and say “go on, push the boat out, add another banana to that bunch”.

mogrim

I don’t understand how the staff working at a supermarket have any influence over this at all?

The guys and girls at the till in my local supermarket are all trained to mention the product they’ve got on offer this week (available at the till, of course) – not a problem when it’s soup for example but it’s often beer…

Cougar

I always try to work out the best value for a given item using the ‘price per volume’ figures, like whether a four-pack of soup works out cheaper overall than the “three for £2” offer on loose cans. Yet, I cottoned on to the pre-packaged thing far too late. Buying, say, three loose onions rather than three in a little string bag is like a third of the price or something silly. Easy to assume they’re comparable if you don’t check.

Supermarkets are convenient, but they’re sneaky bastards and very good at it.

Drac

“Ok so that’s 1/2 pound of cured ham, we have some lovely cheddar on offer would you like a taste or the there’s Mexicanna cheese only half price this week, there’s some sample at the end of the counter if you’d like to try some.”

Then there’s good facing, product placement, asking customers if they need anything else many different tricks really. Some so simple we probably never noticed them.

Oh and the mexicanna is very nice but I resisted. I did buy the half price oven trays I was after though, the sneaky buggers had labels saying out of stock but they were not even other sizes trying to catch those that don’t pay attention out.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s called upselling, and is part of standard retail practice and training. I bought some school shoes for my daughter – “Would you like some patent scratch repairer to go with them?”

Just bought a bike? How about money off a helmet, lock, water bottle?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Haha, Sainsburies caught wanting to get more money out of customers…’ is closed to new replies.