• This topic has 33 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Haggling with a car dealer…. need your help please!!
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all I need your help.

We have been and test drove a mazda 6 sport and liked it so much that after a bit of haggling we put a deposit on.

Part of the haggling involved getting two front tyres replaced which they agreed to do so after that we shook hands and I was passed onto the sales manager to sort the finance out. When that was sorted I asked him to check what was being done to the car before we collect and he said the are servcing it and replacing 3 of the tyres which I was happy with.

Anyway after thinikng about it all weekend I’m not really happy with it and wiuld prefer the car to have 4 new tyres .

Also after after comparing the finance to loans availible on the net it seems I can get a much better deal online that the one they have offered potentailly saving £25 a month .

Now I haven’t signed anything yet although we are meant to be colllecting the car Wednesday.

Do you think I would be being a bit cheeky contacting the garage tomorrow and trying to get them to fit another tyre and also explain about the loans availible to see if they will reduce their payments ?

Or is it tough titty to me ?

Cheers

Steve

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you think I would be being a bit cheeky contacting the garage tomorrow and trying to get them to fit another tyre

Yep. How would you feel if someone did that to you?

How much is another tyre on your own money? £100?

project
    Free Member

They cant do anything about the finance as ts a seperate company that pays them commission.

Put the spare on the 4th wheel

renton
    Free Member

Tyres are around 130 – 160 quid
    Doesn’t have a spare just a can of foam.

Thought I was doing good gettimg two new tyres in but they were replacing them anyway so would a 4th make that much difference to them?

Edukator
    Free Member

Npthing signed means that you have no obligation on the finance front but you signed the check on the vehicle deal.

I’m lousy at haggling with car dealers, one attempt last week resulted in a higher price than my first visit! It looks like my next vehicle will be an on-line purchase as I’m failing to get within 1000e of a price match.

scaredypants

Your spare may well be a brand new one anyway, if it’s a relatively new car

I guess you could ask them to please make sure that the 3 new ones match the spare as you’re intending to make a full set of new tyres that way

(my guess is one of their “3” will be out of your boot otherwise)

(edit:) ah !

molgrips
    Free Member

If I were you I’d ask nicely, but NOT threaten to renege on the deal. That wouldn’t be cricket. Niceness might be enough, and would win you friends.

csb

You haven’t signed anything yet? Not even to say that you’ve paid a deposit and under what circumstances it’s refundable?

If not, then I don’t think you’ve legally agreed to buy the car and what you’ve paid is a ‘holding deposit’ that they’ve charged to make sure you’re serious but have no right to keep.

dr_adams
    Free Member

i think you might have to be a bit careful – the finance might be from a third party and as such they might not be involved in the deal was a watchdog thing about this a few weeks back where someone cancelled a car and the finance wasn’t cancelled… so might make your position weakened if you can’t cancel the finance?
    If it was me, might be worth a trip over on the pretence of checking what the situation is – i realise you haven’t signed anything but i assume they have the finance in place and have credit checked you and the like…. so have a trip over and just confirm everything and see what is occuring.
    Which three tyres are they replacing anyway? i would always want to replace the tyres on drive axel at the same time so this would be an issue to me?
    Go and voice your concerns – as said previously they will get a % cut on the finance deal so if you wanted to arrange your own finance then they might not have been so keen to move on price/parts

Junkyard
    Free Member

if i offer them more money what would they do?
    Worth negotiating imho then deciding

easygirl

Don’t worry about upsetting car dealers!
    I would get a loan from the cheaper place, phone the garage and tell them ,they obviously won’t give you he 4th tyre then, but a £25 a month saving is significant in my book

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Can you afford to walk away and lose the deposit… my Mrs did something similar recently.

She managed to charm the deposit back and then negotiate a further £1k off the price as she became a cash buyer.

the-muffin-man

We have been and test drove a mazda 6 sport and liked it so much that after a bit of haggling we put a deposit on.

First mistake! I usually say I quite like a car but have got a few more to see. Then leave my number – they usually call back within a day or so with a much better offer. And if they don’t there are thousands of other cars on the market.

In answer to your specific question, does it actually need another new tyre or has it still got plenty of life left in it?

renton
    Free Member

Thanks fir the replies.

The dealer is a mazda main dealer and the car is a 60 plate.

Do dealers have any sort of obligation to make sure tyres match at least in terms of wear as won’t having one brand new tyre and one worn tyre make the car handle funny ?
    j
    I’ve always. Changed tyres as a pair.

singlespeedstu

So you agreed to something and now you want to change your mind.

You sound like a bit of a **** to me.

renton
    Free Member

Fronbt two were. Shagged but I though the backs were ok.

renton
    Free Member

Singlespeed stu we still want the car but would prefer it to have 4 new tyres that’s all.

Not changed my mind at all as it is a lovely motor.

Thanks for the name calling though………..

singlespeedstu

we still want the car but would prefer it to have 4 new tyres that’s all.

You should have told them that at the time then.

Can’t see anywhere i’ve called you a “name”.

Just said you sound like a bit of a **** to me. 8)

Northwind

Personally I’d say deal well and in good faith, and do not renege if you decide later you could have done better. Brings dishonour upon your house.

But equally, there’s likely nothing to stop you, apart from the dishonour bit.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Dont forget that taking finance from a dealer makes a tri-part agreement which gives you better consumer protection than paying cash/bank loan/personal loan. (effectively as long as its a hire purchase agreement you could approach the finance company to sort out any major problems you have with the car in the future that cant be resolved by the garage) £25 per month is a saving but over which term?, and also many online finance offers show an advertised offer which applies to AAA credit ratings – it isnt always offered to everybody when you get past proposal stage. Most used car finance rates start at around 5% flat at the moment but it does depend on the term and age of car,The dealer wouldnt want to loose the finance business so i would (politely) state you have been offered a better rate and ask them to shop around a bit for you. If you had a verbal agreement on the tyres at point of sale the deal may have been structured on that basis and they could say no to two additional tyres. However why dont you ask if they could supply them at cost if you get a no… which would normally be 20% off the standard retail price.

donsimon
    Free Member

Should’ve gone for the A6. 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

hard day stu?

dishonour on SH car dealership dealings?

andypaul99
    Free Member

Can you afford to walk away and lose the deposit… my Mrs did something similar recently.

She managed to charm the deposit back and then negotiate a further £1k off the price as she became a cash buyer.

If she got a further 1K off the car was too expensive in the first place. Used cars dont have 1,000 profit to give away unless there is a very good reason. well done!

singlespeedstu

cynic-al – Member

hard day stu?

Not at all

Drove back from a saturday event, washed the bikes then pub and curry.. 🙂

footflaps

You’d be amazed at how little money car dealers make, even the big groups like Pendragon can just scrape net a profit of £10m on a turn over of £4-5b – the shareholders would get a better return with a cash ISA in a high street bank.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

would you do the same thing at your LBS?

footflaps

People assume the mark up is huge in cars, but with new cars theres about £200 profit in a £20k car for the dealer. The dealers survive on bonuses from the manufacturer for meeting targets and servicing. It’s a mugs game, no one would become a car dealer if they knew the economics of it (I only do as GF works in motor trade managing dealers).

bonchance
    Free Member

Do onto others etc.

But honestly: The comments, which suggest you are obliged – to treat some dealer you just walked into; with the respect you might reserve for a friend. That seems bonkers? 60 plate main dealer 4 new tyres no less … 🙂

bonchance
    Free Member

Every body in the motor trade peddles stories like that – some people believe it I guess?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

but with new cars theres about £200 profit in a £20k car

No there isn’t. Mark up on new wheels is about twice cost price. And I have that from a couple of dealers I’ve known for 20+ years.

There are overheads; but that doens’t equal £200 per car at the end. That would be insane. That wouldn’t pay for the coffee in the showroom.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The dealer may be making quite a bit on selling you finance. By refusing that you might find the discounts on the car are no longer available to you.

Effectively you may have to start the deal again.

luke
    Free Member

Give them a call ask them if they will swap all 4, as Mazda reccomend changing in sets of 2. Some of the Mazda 3’s have a light that tells you to swap front to rear every 6k to get the best use out of them.
    If they say no ask them how much to replace it, but don’t put that cost of the tyre on the finance or it will cost a fair bit more over the loan term.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I thought tyres should be replaced in pairs.. I wouldn’t run a brand new and a barely legal

hora
    Free Member

So you agreed to something and now you want to change your mind.

I’m saying nowt on that 😆

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Haggling with a car dealer…. need your help please!!’ is closed to new replies.