Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hadrian’s Wall
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Anyone here ever cycled the length of it? I think National cycle route 72 follows it generally, but i was wondering if was possible to cycle along side as much of it as remains so to speak?

Any ideas?

Ta.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I doubt it. some of it maybe but I went to look at some bits a couple of years ago and it was just running thru fields

midlifecrashes

I walked the middle section of it which is also the pennine way last year. Away from the cycle route it’s not a viable ride, mostly footpaths, loads of stiles, walkers, archaeology etc. Nice walk though.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Hmmm its a shame as some sections ive seen in photos and videos have a foot path running along it which looks like some quite nice rocky offroad riding.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

There is much better riding a few miles away either side. As others have said – one to leave to the sheep and walkers.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I went from reading this thread to searching for info on Eddie Kidd, . . . weird!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

So is it a case of it not being physically possible i.e. non access to cyclists footpaths / no right of way. Or is it a case of its awkward and theres loads of stile/ramblers so theres better places to ride.

I’d really like to ride the length of it if its possible just so ive done it.

CaptJon
    Free Member

For large parts of the Wall there isn’t actually any wall – the middle section is the most complete part, and the Eastern end runs through urban Tyneside so not very exciting. Plus there is the right of way issues, if you went all dodgy and rode the footpath you’d get fed up of walkers, stiles and steps. The offroad C2C might be an alternative option. Otherwise ride some of the moorland around the Wall rather than trying to ride next to the Wall.

Or slick up/get on a road bike and do Route 72: http://www.cycle-routes.org/hadrianscycleway/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hadrian’s Wall’ is closed to new replies.