Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Had my patterdale terrier Sweep spayed today – so gutted! :-(
  • romster
    Free Member

Well today i had to finally have my little "sweep" the patterdale terrier spayed. Absolutely gutted about the whole thing, but with a 15month old little boy and new house on the horizon – it just had to be done. She's not in a great way this evening which is pretty damn horrible to see. Absolutely brilliant dog, came from a working background and couldn't recommend the breed enough. She had her first litter of pups around 18 months ago and i really wanted to breed her again because she produced 5 amazingly healthy happy dogs and 2 bitches, all of which went to great homes. Few piccies below (including the one dog pup i was desperate to keep hold of but the missus wouldn't let me because we'd just had our son), also included one from about ten minutes ago of her curled up in a lifeless ball on her big bed. Poor little bugger……i think i need a quick nip of something alcoholic – i thought i'd be cool about the whole thing, but really i'm not! 🙁

Sweep chilling now trying to recover……….

Doing what she love's best….chilling after a stupendously long adventureous walk……….

This has turned into a bit of a tradition now – she loves it. lol

One of many photo's that makes me feel sad because she was a great mother to this dog…..:-( quality photo

Like mother – like son, this little rascal was her double!

Respect to the patterdale, and long live Sweep! 🙂

bruk

She looks fab. She will be a bit groggy tonight and need some extra TLC but will be back on her feet in no time. Dogs are so much better at this kinda thing than us wimpy humans!

There are many health benefits to her being spayed too so don't think you've done wrong by her.

romster
    Free Member

Just feel like we've taken away one of her biggest talents, being a mother! I need to MTFU i know…….the other things is we're just hoping her personality doesn't change.

She is amazing with our son, i mean like really good – better than we could have ever wished to be honest and we want it to stay that way.

Has anyone had a dog/bitch that dramatically changed after being spayed? That'd be interesting to know…..

Woody
    Free Member

She'll be fine.

Cracking dog BTW and I really don't know how you were able let her son go after seeing them together. I'm gutted for you just looking at the pic 😥

tonyg2003

Great looking dogs. I thought that Patterdales were mostly dark coated? Are tan coats unusual?

romster
    Free Member

Tell me about it Woody – they we're insepereable. He was the last one to go though, went to live out in Derbyshire on a farm. It just wasn't right to keep him because we'd just had the baby. 🙁 Still get regular photo's of him though to this day……. 🙂

romster
    Free Member

Are tan coats unusual?

Patterdales can be black and tan, red, brown, or just plain black but they all tend to have the bristley wirey coat.

You do tend to see the black and tan ones more than the complete tan…..

trout
    Free Member

Great pics Romster
    We were going to have Paddy the Parsons Russel de nutted but then a friend of my daughters wants to mate him with theirs so he may be a dad soon , I do wonder if it changes them cos I would not like him any other way the little cheeky bastid .

romster
    Free Member

Cheers mate. Going to be a long night tonight, the vet said she'd perk up around 12 this evening for walkies because she's been pretty much immobile ever since we picker her up, and she's just stood up for the first time now so i'm going to bail and take her out so she can do her thing and get some fresh air atlast…..cheers for the comments all.

One last piccy – night all!

romster
    Free Member

Amazing what 24 hours does!! She's back on top form this evening – although however hard i try to hide her tablets in "indulgent" doggy food, she's having none of it! 🙂

colnagokid

Great pics romster, love the ones with the pup! Give her a biccy from me 😀

bruk

Ah they do bounce back so quickly! If only we could heal as quickly. In a week it will be as if nothing happened and it won't change her personality or character in any negative way either.

romster
    Free Member

Yeh i'm pretty amazed tbh with her recovery speed. Vet did warn us to force her to rest though because she'll try doing something silly thinking she's better (running up the stairs for example) and pull herself causing a lot of pain.

She's a different dog again today though – great result so far…..well impressed.

Karinofnine

She's lovely. She'll be fine, dogs get over this kind of thing in a really short time – they have the advantage of not endlessly examing their consciences to see if they made the right moral decision too!

hora
    Free Member

😀

Del

i was away when our spaniel got spayed. she went through the mill a bit according to the GF, cos she's a proper softy, but she came out the other side fine. she ate much better afterwards, oddly, whereas before she was a real 'picker' at her food. 2 years on she's still a great dog, though being a spaniel, selectively deaf!
    we adopted a patterdale from the rspca a few months ago @ 18months old. it's taken a little while for him to trust us, as his previous owners were an old couple, and their 'training' was somewhat old-school, but he's really coming out of himself now. nice little dog, and the two of them get on well.

mate she is abso bloody lutely gorgeuos! I want one, and the pic with her stood next to her pup is fabulous.

(Ok I just used the word fabulous to describe a cute puppy, I think I will go to my room and listen Elton! )

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Great looking dog.Patterdale is top of my wish list when I eventually have a dog.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Had my patterdale terrier Sweep spayed today – so gutted! :-(’ is closed to new replies.