Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • Had my first run in with a "terrortorial Parker"
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Our friends parked slightly up from the front of our house when they arrived late last night. Old bloke who lives next door (we are detached) approached me (first time since we moved in September) asking if I knew who’s car it was. Told him yeah,it’s our visitors and he started going on about how it’s his parking space in front of his house. Probably didn’t help me laughing at him and saying “really? It’s not the end of the world he has to take a few extra steps” He made himself look very silly IMHO ranting. What is it with folk? I wouldn’t be bothered as I have a drive and so do they.
    TL:DR my neighbour is a grouchy git and I’m glad they’ve sold their house.

Junkyard
    Free Member

One of those i just explain that the road is a free for all and if they think its theirs I will be happy to see the land registry proof that they own the highway.
    That said there is very little to be gained form deliberately antagonising a neighbour.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My neighbours the opposite , she was appologising for her son in law parking infront of my house.

I said fill yer boots , i dont own the road just dinnae block my drive.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeychild
    Free Member

To be honest. They parked there thinking it was the best place as they got here late. The neighbour was aggressive from the off. This is why I laughed at him. Nowt queer as folk.

breadcrumb

My last house (semi) had room to park two cars outside, one in front of ours and one in front on the neighbours. The only time I got slightly annoyed was when a visitor would park right in the middle and half on the pavement.

There was really no need for it, the road was wide enough to double park if necessary. Selfish bastards.

Flaperon

Nutter next door bought an old banger, taxed / insured / MOT’d it and them dumped it half on the pavement outside his own house to ensure no one else could park there.

Used to make me laugh every time I drove past it.

hammyuk
    Free Member

It’d have ended up several yards down the road blocking the junction round here…..

aracer
    Free Member

Strangely enough I do own the “road” in front of my house – not just our drive, but also the bit which us and the next two houses use to access their houses and drives, and which they sometimes use for parking. I suppose if I really wanted to I could tell them not to park there, but I’m not a grumpy old git (well not about my neighbours parking anyway).

hammerite
    Free Member

Embarrassingly I’ll admit to being a territorial parker. A bit of background though, we’re a house of two drivers – one car, one can. Neighbours either side – one has three drivers and four cars, the other also has three drivers and have a van and three cars. We all have a garage – but it’s not big enough to get a medium sized car in. We all have a driveway big enough for one car.

There is just enough road space in front of the house for a LWB van and a car if needed. I always used to park so that if needed someone else could park in behind our van. However, it seems that whenever one of the neighbours has visitors and we’re not in their visitors park so that it’s only possible to get one vehicle outside our house (and put the car up on the path which isn’t needed at all). It really annoys me! When I have visitors I tell them where is best to park so that we don’t annoy any one else on the street.

I’ve started to park a little more inconsiderately so that no one else can park outside without blocking next doors drive. I know it’s wrong and petty but I can’t help it!

In a couple of years time Jnr is likely to be driving and both neighbours are each likely to have another driver too. We’re considering dropping the kerb outside the house and turning the tiny bit of front garden in to a parking space to help things out a bit.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Lol just come back from being out and he’s outside his house parked mostly on the pavement. Wouldn’t mind he has a driveway and garage for his….. One car lol. What a sad man. He’ll be crying when the kids round here scratch it riding their bikes
    past it etc.

Just realised the weird auto correct typo in the title too.

slowoldman

I thought the title spelling was deliberate. I got mildly irritated when I got home the other evening to find sister of neighbours had parked right across my driveway, which made getting the car in a tad awkward. I had obviously better spray the drop kerb with luminous paint to make it more visible to dullards.

thepurist

Is pavement parking legal round your way? If not, shop him to the plod.

spekkie
    Free Member

Parking across a driveway in unacceptable. Parking outside someone’s house is perfectly acceptable. Wtf is wrong with people that this needs explaining time after time?

monkeychild
    Free Member

^+LOTS.

CheesybeanZ

Parking across a driveway in unacceptable. 

It is but its perfectly legal if there’s no car on the drive .

slowoldman

Sometimes I have a huge desire to buy a ratty old Land Rover.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I do think they must be missing something on their life to actually get that riled about it.

DT78
    Free Member

One of my neighbours puts cones out… I did get pissed when someone parked 3 campervans outside my house and opposite and then didn’t move them for over 6 months. Don’t mind cars that move regularly but when one just doesn’t move its bloody inconsiderate.

Eventually they were moved when they started to be vandalised. Not by me I might add.

globalti
    Free Member

When I lived in Paris you always left the handbrake off because you knew somebody would shove your car with their bumper to create space.

STATO
    Free Member

My girlfriends Granda has a problem with the neighbour parking his works van even slightly in front of his house (very considerate neighbour, tries not to but next house along not so much so van sometimes a bit further across), which is odd given her Granda has a double drive but no car! Sadly it tipped him over the edge a little while ago and the old guy went wandering/missing for 8 or so hours. Doctor diagnosed him with some condition (don’t know details) but it stressed the family out a lot, as for an old guy he is otherwise sound and sharp of mind.

spekkie
    Free Member

“My girlfriends Granda has a problem with the neighbour parking his works van . . . . . the old guy went wandering/missing for 8 or so hours . . . . otherwise sound and sharp of mind”

I’d say the 8 to 10 hr thing trumps the sound of mind thing.

project
    Free Member

livedin a flat in a terraced stret, when i was poor, elderley old dear next door woke me up one morning at 05.30 to tell me to move my car as her daughter was due to arrive at 09.00 hrs and required my space as it was hers.

I pointed out i didnt own a car, or have licence at the time, she then proceeded down the street to knock other neighbours up.

project
    Free Member

and a top tip , if you want to get rid of parkers outside your house, mix bread with cooking oli or chip lard, and throw on car roof and bonnet, birds will descend like alfreds hitcock the birds and peck the car to bits, and leave a nice oily mess.

singlespeedstu

Have you ever actually tried that without getting your face smashed in…

flap_jack
    Free Member

Just seen Gangsta Granny this afternoon. Great seeing the Parker getting his comuppance 🙂

Also, like what you did with ‘P’arker…

tails
    Free Member

I can see why it is frustrating, my next door neighbour has I think around 6 cars. Why should I park 40 yards up the road because they can’t stop breeding. But like you say it’s not my road but I still feel put out after a long day at work.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I share a driveway with two other houses; its a narrow lane that then branches off into separate parking spots outside each house. Never really have any problems these days but when one of the houses had a lot of lodgers living there I’d occasionally come back to find that apparently fit surfer dude types couldn’t be bothered to park down the road and walk 20m to their mates house but instead had to park right outside. This would stop me from getting to my own driveway (and my neighbours would also be affected). I just used to park behind them and go indoors. Cue a sheepish knock on the door when they wanted to leave which I would always ignore for at least 10 minutes before answering. They soon learned not to do it.

tinybits
    Free Member

My brother in law moved to a guite terraced street in Bath. He couldn’t park outside his own house so parked further up the street. The guy who owned the house it was parked outside came out to tell him to mive on as it was his space and my bil, notorious for his short temper and fouls mouth told him to F off you C, and wandered off.
    Totally unremarkable up to the point I moved in next door to the guy he’d sworn at who then proceded not to talk to me for 4 years once he’d made the connection. Made me snigger though!

project
    Free Member

Have you ever actually tried that without getting your face smashed in…

neighbour of my mates did it to my car, and a few others he got evicted,

thebrowndog
    Free Member

I lived in inner-east Sydney for a while and parking was at a premium. The bloke two doors up paid a mint to have a “driveway” built into the kerb outside his house. He didn’t actually have a driveway on his own land – just the lowered kerb, then the footpath and then the side of his house. All the neighbours thought it was hugely funny to park over his “drive” even when there were other spots just to get another rant out of him.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Serious social problems cars are.

People are now extending their properties as they’re unable to upgrade to larger houses due to unavailability or expense. This means drives are getting built over or garages turned into additional rooms.

Children are staying at home longer due to affordability issues for first time buyers. Cars are cheap so everyone owns one but nowhere to park them. The streets are now becoming a dumping ground to the detriment of the roads and to children that at one time could play in them.

Pot holes have developed initially from shoddy backfill after mains replacement but because a two way street has now developed into a slalom course the continuous wear from heavy four wheel drive vehicles and the generally larger, heavier modern cars that we now have driving at their high speeds as the drivers try to get to work on time means roads are dangerous for cyclists, pedestrians (drivers go on kerbs to get through a space that doesn’t exist), children who lack the space to let off steam and even foundations of nearby houses as the vibrations reverberate through the street.

These are all very real problems that has got increasingly worse within the past seven years.

Down my road is a taxi driver that has four vehicles parked along the street, a labourer who has two cars and a lorry. There’s many others but where’s this problem going to end? Do people see it as a problem? Will it get worse or better? The recent trend round here suggests that we’ll have more cars on the street as more people are extending their houses.

Anyway that’s the parking don’t get me started on the smell of diesel fumes. More and more diesel cars around these days and as a daily bicycle commuter living outside London I couldn’t bare to imagine what it’s like commuting in London. Cycling’s not only hazardous because of crazed car drivers but also the fumes their emitting aswell.

Somebody somewhere needs to put a stop to our obsession with cars.

Cars are causing friction with people who should otherwise be friends because that’s when good neighbours become good friends.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve no issue with people parking in front of my garden. The issue is just a few inches one way and its impossible to J-reverse a car onto the drive. It’s ALWAYS a few inches out so I end up parking up the road probably parking in someone’s sacred spot 😀

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

This quote from The Fall of Public Man by Richard Sennett seems appropriate:

“Today, we experience an ease of motion unknown to any prior urban civilization, and yet motion has become the most anxiety-laden of daily activities. The anxiety comes from the fact that we take unrestricted motion of the individual to be an absolute right. The private motorcar is the logical instrument for exercising that right, and the effect on public space, especially the space of the urban street, is that the space becomes meaningless or even maddening unless it can be subordinated to free movement. The technology of modern motion replaces being in the street with a desire to erase the constraints of geography.”

The motoring industry has sold the idea of door to door convenience and freedom of movement, and by buying a car they think that they’ve paid for that right.

DrJ

When I was living in Edinburgh I drove to work and parked on a street (near Kings Buildings). One day I found a number of cones outside a house in the stretch of road I usually parked. I thought f*** that and parked inside the cones. When I got back I found a shitty note on my windscreen I tore it up and drove off.

Next day I parked again nearby and when I was leaving the car a lady came out and aplogised for the note she’d left. She said she’d acted hastily because she had been stressed by having to carry her handicapped son from the end of the road due to not being able to park closer.

I crawled away under the nearest stone …

donks
    Free Member

A few years back our neighbour bought and sold old bangers and had God knows how many littering the road (Victorian terrace street). He used to twitch his curtains waiting until me or my house mate went out then run out and move one of the cars into the spot as it was more convenient. We sometimes just pretended to go out drive up the road a bit then reverse back into the space just to see the look on his face.
    We have a space of sorts in the alley way at the rear of the house and use this as there’s never anywere to park but our neighbours have now also taken to using it…… It’s actually on our property (I think?). Not said anything to them yet but I had to actually lift my bike over his car last week when he parked about 8 inches away from the back gate.

yunki
    Free Member

Uh oh, I’m slightly concerned that I may be the neighbour that’s parking by your back gate Donks 😳

You don’t live in a slightly run down seaside town in Devon by any chance?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Pleaderwilliams have a read of John Adams essays on Hypermobility, a more academic treatment of the same concept.

I think Japan has a process where you have to demonstrate you own space to store a car before you can buy one.

Round here in some streets up to 2/3 of the roadway is used for car storage, denying use of space for movement or recreation. Vehicle storage is a serious social issue.

tinybits
    Free Member

I think Japan has a process where you have to demonstrate you own space to store a car before you can buy one.

I like this idea (4/5 car driveway here…..)

tpbiker
    Free Member

Wait for him to drive to the shops then park your car outside his house…just for giggles like…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Had my first run in with a "terrortorial Parker"’ is closed to new replies.