Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Had job interview – "Please come in for a trial day" ???
  • trailmonkey

have to say that it’s an open plan office so my days of casual stw’ing at work could be over should i get the job

tails
    Free Member

I don’t really. Not done too much for myself since leaving Uni but worked for other makers. Currently teaching cabinetmaking at a College.

Where did you study High Wycombe? I did a couple of years cabinet making and then design, wish I had followed through with making now!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

As above really, I’d be sceptical if it was a relatively unskilled job and wonder if they were just after a free day’s work. For anything a bit more involved it’ll be costing them to have you there as you won’t do anything productive. If you want the job why not? You’ll learn something about them and it’ll probably be useful experience however it pans out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trekster

Both my son & daughter got their respective jobs a result of a similar exercise.
    Daughters first job interview to become a teacher and she had to spend time in the classroom environment. She impressed so much(she later found out)that no-one else got considered for the job.
    Son was looking for a change and got invited to a similar event as the OP to test out his autocad skills. He was being assessed on whether he could transfer his skills from and electrical background to a civil engineering one. He got the job based on his skills and the fact that he was the first interviewee that had turned up wearing a shirt, tie, and shoes!! He now has a degree in civil engineering paid for by his employer and is going for his chartered eng certificate 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Whatever it is. Good luck tm. Hope they don’t shaft you like that last lot. 😐

trailmonkey

ta dd.

ste_t
    Free Member

I’m in hospitality and if an applicant interviews well then they are invited back for an ‘unpaid working interview.’ The length of the working interview is usually 2-3 hours, as that is plenty of time to assess how the applicant takes instruction, how quickly they pick things up, whether their attitude to work is right for us and also for them to decide if they feel the job is suitable for them.

It has to be made clear that it is unpaid, so we always say ‘interview’ rather than ‘trial.’

I’m amazed that such methods aren’t more common to be honest, as it is a system that works.

trailmonkey

just a quick update.

i had the trial day on weds and it turned out not to be part of the competitive interview process, more a case of does it suit me, do I suit them.

anyhow, they’ve emailed me today to offer me the position, references pending, which i’m pretty happy to accept as they seem like a really cool company (typically totnesian) staffed by bright capable people.

in my case they probably need to satisfy the diversity plan and introduce an idiot into the pool.

bye bye joblesstrackworld – again. 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

well done you–what is the office internet policy, have you asked yet?

Cougar

Congrats.

Lend me a tenner.

druidh
    Free Member

Nice one.

trailmonkey

thanks all,

jy an hours unlimited usage at lunch, so you haven’t got rid of my nonsense just yet.

cougar, i’m sure we can arrange something based upon an outrageous rate of interest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nice one

crispybacon
    Free Member

I’m assuming that you didn’t turn up on your ‘Winter’ bike then ;o)

chakaping
    Free Member

Congrats.

I was going to say I think these are AT LEAST as useful for the employee as the employer – gives you a chance to assess the office dynamic, chat informally with the other staff and suss out whether you’re going to end up with a boss from hell/working with Andy Gray and Richard Keys.

Cougar

cougar, i’m sure we can arrange something based upon an outrageous rate of interest.

Do you accept repayment in fish?

5AM
    Free Member

Good news and well done.

trailmonkey

thanks for all the well wishes – tis a wonderful community here 8)

yunki
    Free Member

well.. I’m loathe to wish you well.. who am I gonna ride with during the week now..!?

blinkin’ Totnesians..

trailmonkey

you’ll have to save it for the weekends and come out with the d-mo posse dem

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah I see, sorry, missed this thread earlier. 😳

trailmonkey

well i should think so. have a good hard think about what you’ve done.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Had job interview – "Please come in for a trial day" ???’ is closed to new replies.