Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • had enough of the commute, is this normal.
  • mrmo
    Free Member

had my new job for a week now after being on the dole for a few weeks. The job is 30miles of motorway away, so the commute doesn't take long, but half hour of motorway is boring the life out of me. it is too far to ride, there is no sensible train option to get home. And what i am also noticing is how much diesel is costing, even though i am getting 60mpg, that is still a gallon a day!

Is there any hope of me relaxing into the commute, is it just that it is a new job? or should i start looking again?

mrmo
    Free Member

That article was what i was thinking, it isn't going to get better. At least the money i am getting is better than the dole, i will have to see what they offer once i get a permanent contract as to whether it opens some options, but in the meantime i will keep my eyes open for something closer to home.

The time isn't the issue, i enjoyed the 13miles each way bike commute i used to do. I guess it comes down to the fact that i don't like driving, it is something i do because there aren't alternatives.

sofatester
    Free Member

If they have locker and shower facilities why not ride once or twice a week? Should be less than 2 hours on a road/slicked mountain bike.

Will break the boredom and you can use the days you drive as recovery.

uplink
    Free Member

Don't go via the motorway?

30 miles [IMO] isn't bad – I'm currently doing a 250 mile round trip 3 times a week but I make money on the diesel rather than lose it

BigJohn

You'll soon incorporate it into your sleep patterns (no, honestly, you need less sleep when you drive regularly) and then it'll be fine. Especially if you get used to a radio station, like Radio5

falkirk-mark

Can you not drive part way and cycle the rest.

mrmo
    Free Member

there aren't any facilities, showers/lockers at the new place, and i haven't yet found out if there is anywhere i can safely stash the bike.

If i can corner my boss long enough it is one of the questions to be asked. The plan in my head is to catch the train in the morning and ride back in the evening as i think it is a workable compromise.

tails
    Free Member

Can you not drive part way and cycle the rest.

💡

RichPenny
    Free Member

You could also drive in with bike in boot, ride home, then back in the following morning.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘had enough of the commute, is this normal.’ is closed to new replies.