Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hacksaw blade for carbon
  • Filthy
    Free Member

Just about to pop down to screwfix for a blade, looked on the website and they list a 32Tpi. Will that be ok for lobbing a chunk off my carbon bars or do I need something with more teeth?

Filthy
    Free Member

or what about this grit edged jobbie?

screwfix blades

z1ppy

dunno about that but a face mask is recommended apparently, to stop the nasty bits of carbon fibre being breathed in…

Richie_B

If you have a standard length hacksaw get a composite blades that don’t have teeth but file their way through & don’t risk picking up fibres. The price of carbon bits makes risking it with a standard blade iffy.

wwaswas

don’t get grit edged, too much dust – it works like a very fine rasp.

just get the one with the most tpi.

Dougal
    Free Member

Wear a mask, us a grit-edged blade as suggested above.

Highly recommend a carbocut blade, as this cuts through fibres rather than tearing at them.

xander
    Free Member

I did this recently on my Easton EC90CX fork. Was worried, so found a bit I kept when I had a shop chop my last carbon road fork. I used a 12″ 32TPI blade from Screwfix, but wrapped the tube either side of the cut line in gaffer tape to make sure no splinters/ fraying. Use a mask as above. I have a vice mounted cutting guide and used a tiny file to clean it up.

Perfect job!

N.B. The grit-edged blades Screwfix sell are way too course for a carbon steerer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hacksaw blade for carbon’ is closed to new replies.