Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Ha Ha fatty
  • avdave2

given the weight of the wheels already I could see me running a Rohloff on one of those.

My first thought when looking at fat bikes, it seems daft to design bikes designed and otherwise ideal for the filthiest conditions winter can throw up and then to use derailleurs. However I think there is an issue with hub spacing with most fat frames when using hub gears. I don’t know if anyone has managed to adapt a Rohloff to work with the wider spacing.
    There is a 9:Zero:7 frame with a rear 135mm hub spacing but I don’t know if there are any others.

scotroutes

The Pugsley is also 135mm, as are a few smaller brands.

You are, however, missing the point slightly as many of the newer releases are being targeted at “trail” users rather than snow/sand riders. Mind you, a quick look at the Iditarod bikes would indicate that many riders are happy with 170 or 190 rear ends.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Apaprently Sandman have tried a fat bike with a Pinion gearbox. Now that would be superb..

iolo
    Free Member

Ok, Maybe not peanuts to build.
    It won’t be too expensive as I’m sure being a Nicolai it will be overbuilt so the tubes wont need to be fancy.
    On One can build a whole bike with gears for less than 900 pounds.
    What’s the different between bikes apart from the brand names?

mt
    Free Member

The difference could be labour costs and the amount of frames manufactured.

On One and other pretend manufacturers have the economies of scales that using the same factories as many othe cycle sellers. I presume that Nicholai still make there own bikes in Germany.

iolo
    Free Member

Is “niche” really worth that much extra?

wwaswas

Is “niche” really worth that much extra?

for some people, yes.

Same as some people buy an Audi or Miele dishwasher or whatever.

You may not agree/understand but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense to others.

I wouldn’t spend £2500 on a Santa Cruz or Yeti frame but I can understand that some would

messiah
    Free Member

1350 euros is only 51 euros more than an Argon AM 🙂

Once you’ve seen a Nicolai in the metal you get an appreciation for why they cost what they do; they may look like other bikes from a distance bit nobody else builds frames like Nicolai do.

scotroutes

I imagine that parts like this aren’t cheap?

iolo
    Free Member

I had a Nomad. That I could understand as santa cruz had to pay licence for VPP and with their premium the mk1 frame was not so expensive.
    Such a price for a hardtail is crazy. A singlespeed downhill hardtail at that.

wwaswas

Such a price for a hardtail is crazy.

in your opinion.

Plenty of carbon and Ti hardtails go for a lot more than that.

messiah
    Free Member

Those parts above that scotroutes shows a picture of are welded together to make the chainstay and seatstay bridges hollow.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m not denying they’re well made.
    Most bikes today are fit for purpose and well made and conform to CE.
    In order to justify that additional money is it any better than the On One Fatty?
    That’s what I find hard to comprehend.

wwaswas

Is your Nomad better than an El Guapo?

iolo
    Free Member

I sold the Nomad WHEN i was skint,never rode an El Guapo but I hear it is a good bike.I have a second hand 06 S Works Enduro complete bike that cost half of Nicolai frame.I bought this 3 years ago.
    I also had a second hand 456 that was amazing but I’ve just sold it due to illness.
    If you do buy the Nicolai I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

wwaswas

so you bought and sold bikes priced according to the amount of money you had available at the time, the same as everyone else does.

If I had £1400 for a frame that would be on my list same as a very expensive Nomad was on yours when you had what it cost.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

That’s the first bike I have seen in years that I WANT for no reason whatsoever.

+ 1! 😀

AlexSimon

I see a bike just about every day that I want for no reason whatsoever.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Ha Ha fatty’ is closed to new replies.