Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • H PLUS SON Archetype
  • xyeti
    Free Member

Been looking at wheels for a month or more, i’d narrowed it down to 2,

Stans Alpha 400
    Archetype

Just looking at the H Plus Son Archetype Aaaaaand just about to Purchase on Strada wheels website where i noticed they dont reccomend these wheels as they dont build true?

Any one got any experience of these wheels, I’ve got HOPE Pro3 hubs and fancied getting these built up on these hubs, I’m after the Black ones, the braking surface will srub off but i’m on canti’s not disks,

pete68
    Free Member

My wife and I both have a set , built by jra about 10 months ago. Done about 5000 miles on boy sets and have never needed truing once and still dead straight. That’s using discs though.

tang
    Free Member

Same here on discs, I’ve belted mine off road and they’re great.

thekettle
    Free Member

I built a set for myself last week, they are true. A mate build them onto Hope hubs, his are also true! Both being used on discs, can’t comment on durability yet.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Alphas are shite.

Ask any other wheel builder to build you up some Archetypes. Best road rims by a mile.

kilo

Loads of people in our club seem to have them never seen any problems reported on our forum

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

In terms of durability; far harder wearing than the Alphas, which were as soft as piss and wore out in about 3 months over winter.

munded

Archetypes are great. Mine had rim brakes, stayed true for ages. Until took a front wheel puncture at 45mph. They needed a true after that stack. But came up fine. JRA will build them right for you…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Likewise. Got mine build with 28/32 spokes. Hit a rock and managed a double puncture, double tyre tear. Wheels are still straight.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I had a pair of stans alphas for a few months. They where made of cheese. Swapped them from some Halo Aerorage rims. Really Pleased.

Tyres where also a **** to fit on them.

I have a set of Hplus son TB14 on my fixed gear bike. They look really nice but do seem to wear quicker than a open pro.

djflexure

I looked at them but ended up getting DT RR440’s instead which have been great. Rear can be asymmetric which has potential advantages too.

xyeti
    Free Member

Thanks, confirms what I’ve heard from other users and what I have read from 99% of reviews, was a bit shocked at the disclaimer on their site and thought, ah………

djflexure, ive been looking at the DT RR551 and some Ambrossio ones, I think I’ll still go for the Archetypes, 32H with these Pro3’s.

I reckon they’ll be fine, just need to get these Marathon Plus off at the same time and get some Durano’s on.

Thanks

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like my Archetypes on ultegra hubs. Really nice to ride. Still underwhelmed by braking (rim) though. Maybe just not found the right match of pads. I don’t brake much so doesn’t bother me that much 😉

JoB
    Free Member

there was a batch of Archetypes that was iffy that wouldn’t build well and kept snapping spokes, which is what Strada are referring to, mate had some wheels built up with them and they went constantly, they’re okay now though i think as referenced by comments above

any wheelbuilder will have their favoured rim-de-jour and i’ve always gone with what they say because they probably know more than me

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’ve had archetypes twice now on miche primato hubs. The first rims did 6000 miles until they wore down part the indicator without ever being anything but true. No signs of any problems with the second ones either. Superb rims.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

as JoB said, I think there was a dodgy batch a while back. No problems with mine. Tough as old boots.

cynic-al
    Free Member

DTF you are actually moaning about Alphas as a winter rim?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Got Archetypes on both my bikes and they’re great. I asked this very same question on bikeradar last year and Strada came on there to comment.
    Here you go http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13020726&start=140

xyeti
    Free Member

I thought the 400″s with the bridge were stronger than the 340″s

I’m wanting strength and a wider rim,

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Archetype types as JoB said had a bad batch a couple of years back but fine now built about 250 pairs with them last year and can say hand on heart none have come back the same with the TB14’s loads built none have come back.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    DTF you are actually moaning about Alphas as a winter rim?

😀 Yes! Although I expect my rims to run well in all weathers and not wear out after a few months of use.

wallop

I’ve got dark grey Archetypes on Miche super light hubs – they are sexy as hell!

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Just to offer some balance I have some Stans 340 and they have been faultless.
    Used through 3 winters with fusion 2 tubeless and scwalbe one’s tubeless.
    Haven’t wore out yet!
    Max

xyeti
    Free Member

That’s it then, Archetypes it is, Cannondaleking, how can i get comms with you?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

dan@handcraftedwheels.co.uk dude I’ve also got a few sets built up in different set ups on offer as well.

xyeti
    Free Member

What kinda offer???????

What Hubs Annnnd what spokes???? Nipples?

I’ve sent an email, i clicked your username and saw the link, just been looking at some wheels you have built up.
    I put my number in the email, please ring me tmrw.

freeagent
    Free Member

For a bit of balance, my experience with Architypes hasn’t been so good.
    I had a set built about 10 months ago (28/32H) onto Hope pro hubs for my Giant Defy.
    I talked it through with wheel builder (based up North-often raved about on here) – who insisted they’d be perfect for a 100KG rider.
    Since then they’ve been in my LBS 3 times – each time it is for the rear going out of True.
    My LBS don’t like them (Bromley Bikes) and say they won’t build with them.
    In hindsight I should have got my LBS to build me some wheels.
    I’d not use Architypes again.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

I have a set on my commute built by JRA. They get abused daily and still as true as the day they arrived.
    JRA said they were strong. They certainly seem it.

gringo

95kg rider here on 32h/32h Archetype rims and Ultegra hubs. Been fine for 1500 miles or so in all weathers. Solid and still true. No issues with recommending them.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m quite happy to accept I might have got either a duff rim or a crappy initial build though…

prezet
    Free Member

Running them on my Equilibrium with Hope RS hubs. Running perfectly true and have taken quite a few pot hole knocks. Great rims.

xyeti
    Free Member

Is any one finding that the holes around the nipples are filling up with muck, grit, trail dog and unicorn shit?

Read a few reviews to suggest it’s clogging up, I’m bobbing these on my CX / Gravel bike so they will be seeing a fair bit of rough muck and grime.

edsbike
    Free Member

I got a set from JRA on Pro2 (disc) 28 spokes F&R. They went pannier touring across Europe and many thousands of miles commuting as well as some CX racing. Still dead straight.

I built a pair of grey anodized on Chris King R45s for my (canti) road bike. Anodizing wore off in the first ride (so much for being ‘hard’ anodized) but they are still straight, not had to touch them. Not the lightest wheelset but they ride lovely.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anodising on mine lasted a few weeks and looked pretty good until I took the bike for a ride around North Devon. All gone on a single ride!

I built mine on ultegra hubs with 32 dt comp spokes (I’d have gone less spokes but the rims were originally for a different project). Radial front and 3x on the back. Ridden a few months now and they are still true.

Quick survey… what pads are you folks using with your archetype rims?

freeagent
    Free Member

Swisstop Green.

I think they stop pretty well, but this is a ‘summer’ bike..

gringo

I just use the standard 5800 105 pads. They are on their last legs though so will be looking to swap them out soon so interested in the survey results too.

maxlite
    Free Member

Had them for a year now 20/24 on miche primato hubs, no problems….just wish the anodising didn’t wear off on brake track 🙂

Built by http://www.bespoke-wheels.com

gray

The anodising thing is the only reason I went for a Pacenti SL23 instead on my last wheel. I don’t like my road bike to look too scruffy. Silly really.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The anodising thing is the only reason I went for a Pacenti SL23 instead on my last wheel. I don’t like my road bike to look too scruffy. Silly really.

Once it’s worn off it looks fine. Just looks like a brake track.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘H PLUS SON Archetype’ is closed to new replies.