Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Gymnastics rings
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Looking at reviews there seem to be a number of decent sets of gymnastics rings out there that have issues with their strap buckles; does anyone have a set they’d recommend/any to avoid?

It seems wooden rings are the way to go, unless anyone knows different.

footflaps

Yep, I’ve got those rings, no problems with the straps at all – 80kg ish BW.

not mastered that iron cross yet though!

inverted Iron Cross is where it’s at now…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Cheers gents, purchased.

Let the frustration begin :mrgreen:

footflaps

A friend has had good progress with GMBs Rings One course…

https://gmb.io/r1/

The main pic at the top of that page is a local GMB trainer at a Crossfit box in Milton, Cambridge. She’s demoing a 45 degree RTOH (rings turned out hold) which is quite challenging for something so simple.

alcolepone
    Free Member

what do you use to mount the rings at home?

footflaps

mine are looped over an RSJ in the workshop

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Wd2vhx]Workshop[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

plyphon
    Free Member

Get ready to feel very, very cumbersome.

the-muffin-man

mine are looped over an RSJ in the workshop sex dungeon

footflaps

I’ve had to stop using them after tearing my Pec doing Bulgarian Ring dips (Gymnastic Bodies Foundation Course, Hollow Back Press progressions). Waiting for it to heal…

Coyote
    Free Member

@footflaps = jealous…

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I’m moving in with footflaps

footflaps

I’m moving in with footflaps

I’ve been told I snore, is that a problem?

thecaptain
    Free Member

I made my own with some plastic pipe, sand and a hot oven.

footflaps

I made my own with some plastic pipe, sand and a hot oven.

Brave man, I wouldn’t fancy going upside down on home made rings…

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I’ve been told I snore, is that a problem?

I snore so that’s a match.

teasel
    Free Member

I think we should all head to Footflap’s place for an STW powerlifting meet. I take it there’s a bench tucked away somewhere…

🙂

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Had mine a couple of months and just nailed the muscle up, trying to get it more strict so no momentum from pulling up fast, slow and controlled is the goal.
    Slowly and carefully training for the iron cross as well, a couple of years is what i’m thinking at the moment.
    If anyone is interested my antics are on Instagram @fiftyplusfit

footflaps

I take it there’s a bench tucked away somewhere…

It’s in the photo, up on the cupboard at the back..

ahsat

I’ve the same rings over a beam in the garage. Not used them yet as the new place as too lazy to get the van out the way first! Main thing is too loop the strap through the buckle the right way, you’ll quickly work it out!

Does anyone have any programme suggestions as I’m a bit out of practice and p20 is also planning giving it a go?

footflaps

Does anyone have any programme suggestions

Look up GMB Rings 1 course (linked above somewhere). Well worth the $95 or whatever it is.

Earl
    Free Member

twinw4ll – that’s epic.

Bagstard
    Free Member

footflaps, how bad a tear? Just a bit of bruising or serious tissue damage? Mine was torn back in 2002 bench pressing and it’s never been the same since, I only use dumbells now.

isitafox
    Free Member

Don’t get plastic rings, I got a wooden set from China off ebay. I weight 92kg and have done me perfectly well and were only £15

thecaptain
    Free Member

ff, well they are hollow so the strap goes right through them and actually carries the load.

footflaps

footflaps, how bad a tear? Just a bit of bruising or serious tissue damage? Mine was torn back in 2002 bench pressing and it’s never been the same since, I only use dumbells now.

Grade 1 (lowest) level of tear according to Physio, will heal in a few weeks. It’s at the attachment point where the Pec joins the humerus, which apparently is good (no idea why).

FuzzyWuzzy

Lo STW scores another niche point, I had no idea home gym rings were even a thing, let alone several on here have them

teasel
    Free Member

Main thing is too loop the strap through the buckle the right way, you’ll quickly work it out!

Heh

Yeah, they’re excellent when set up correctly, lethal when not. I have mine wrapped over a pull-up bar/cage thing I made out of box section steel and an old squat rack.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Footflaps do you deadhang? i’ve found it awesome for building strength, i do it for around 5 minutes total a day. Fixed my dodgy shoulder as well.

footflaps

Footflaps do you deadhang?

Not specifically, however some of my core exercises (GB Foundation series) do involve a lot of hanging off Stall bars. This is my current Core workout, 5 rounds of

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5CeRHajKo[/video]

Doing this 2 or 3 times a week at the moment, building up to 5 sets of 5-10 reps of each exercise, ideally with ‘perfect’ form. First exercise (negative body levers) I need to pike less (have got better since this vid), 2nd one is pretty decent form. 3rd one is crap as my hamstring flexibility is terrible so can’t hang with straight arms and then lift my legs to my hands, so I’m doing too much work with lats.

teasel
    Free Member

Inspiring; I gotta add Eye Of The Tiger to my workout playlist…

😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Gymnastics rings’ is closed to new replies.