• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Gym work to compliment MTB riding
  • oldskooler
    Free Member

Afternoon all, just wondered if anyone did any gym work in any of their training for MTB?

somouk
    Free Member

I do gym work as well as mountain biking for general fitness but it all helps out on the bike.

Still do plenty of cardio but other disciplines like rowing and running then add in some heavy weights and core work.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Training or just keeping fit over the winter?

former get a turbo and trainerroad and do 2×20 evey other day

latter, rowing, squats and spinning

steezysix
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.bikesjames.com – some useful exercises on there.

zilog6128

Yep. I do a free weights (barbell) workout based around squats, deadlift, etc. Basically a whole body workout but really works legs, core, shoulders, etc. which is handy for MTB and IMO the best thing for (general) strength improvement.

Painey
    Free Member

I used to do spinning and found it really helped, particularly as I used to crank the resistance right up.

allthepies
    Free Member

I go to the gym three times per week (work lunchtime). 5 mins on the rower then weights + core strength exercises. I’m only in there for 30-40 mins but feel better for it and beats sitting at my desk or walking round the uninspiring town centre.

oldskooler
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, it was mainly for training over the winter so I can come back stronger/faster in the summer. I specifically want to be able to sprint for longer yet still have the ability to go all day.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Core

GEDA
    Free Member

Pumptrack

DanW
    Free Member

Unless you are doing gravity based MTB (where upper body conditioning is helful) or you are talking about competing in very, very short sprint only races (such as those on the track), no gym work will make you faster on the bike.

To get faster on the bike you have to ride the bike. A turbo or roller is the way to go alongside the long outdoor rides. Also, getting better at sprinting does not just require lots of practice sprinting, you need a good overall power profile- the low end stuff helps the top end stuff too.

As others have said, if your aim is more to stay generally active and have a mental break from time to time then some gym time serves those purposes- it won’t help making you faster on the bike though. Other gym benefits for us non-pros is sorting out any muscle imbalances you might have neglected over the Summer with the temptation of good weather and will be needed to be sorted before bike specific gains can be made. Stretching and flexibility should be happening year round and be habit I would say. You can help along some of the things that might limit your ability make bike specific gains but with the foundations in place it’s down to the bike stuff you do.

brooess
    Free Member

Core strength for a healthy back, climbing and power
    Stretches for conditioning and keeping injury at bay

+1 for Pumptrack if you have one. You get a great upper body workout and improved technique and it’s far more fun than the gym

ds3000
    Free Member

I have an unsightly ’emu’ type neck, what exercises (nexercises?) could I do to produce a thick muscular American football type jobbie?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shrugs will get you the bouncer style neck. (big weight in each hand, and ‘shrug’). Will make you look daft though if that’s all you do.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, it was mainly for training over the winter so I can come back stronger/faster in the summer. I specifically want to be able to sprint for longer yet still have the ability to go all day.

Sprinting power is very short term. Gym work on your sprint now will be of no effect in January let alone the Summer. Endurance and threshold power on the other hand lasts for months or years. That’s why roadies will be training now for next summer with long rides now, then threshold workouts in the spring, followed by tweaking their sprint just close enough to competition that they’re not knackered from overtraining on the day.

Spinning and Rowing will at least keep your cardio on form and the weight off over the winter if you can’t face similar workouts on the Turbo. IMO spinning is very comparable to MTB’ing form a cardio/leg perspective, especialy if combined with pump track/BMX over the winter to work on core strength.

Depends though, if you’re superfit now then just maintaining a base of the winter is fine. If youre not superfit now or never plan to be then there’s no point in long term planning, just go spinning and enter a winter XC series for motivation and you’ll still come out fitter for next summer.

coogan
    Free Member

I just do loads of spin classes and running at the gym. Spin classes made a big difference fitness wise I’ve found.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I’ll help you out if you like? I’m a physiotherapist; have worked at Headley Court (6 months), constructing personal and group rehab sessions. My special interest is functional (all levels) rehab/pre-hab/screening…which is what you’re seeking.

If you’re close to Sheffield/Chesterfield then pm me. I take all currency, esp. JD 😈

docgeoffyjones

I second having a look at Bikejames.com. This guy really knows his stuff he has a blog and a podcast both contain really good stuff on training for mountain biking.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lovetubs, can I drop you an e-mail with some physio questions?

DanW
    Free Member

The only thing with the BikeJames site is it is very gravity orientated. If this is your riding and goal then great. If your riding is more XC/ Marathon and this is what you want to get faster at then you have to be aware of the specificity of what you are investing time in.

I wouldn’t follow it all blindly thinking 3 hours of his exercises will make you a faster XC rider but picking and choosing the bits that apply to you and your riding with a bit of critical insight is the way to go.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Gym work to compliment MTB riding’ is closed to new replies.