Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Gym or Turbo Trainer for winter? What's your cup of tea?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

What will you folks be using this winter? (or already use)

(Planning my winter riding)

My gym membership runs out next month and I’m alrady thinking of blowing the dust of my mag turbo trainer.

Jamie
    Free Member

I am buying some lights for the bike and digging out my headtorch for running. Enjoy winter running/biking personally.

Probably be playing some badminton/5 a-side as well though.

mikey74
    Free Member

Here is a novel idea: how about go outside and ride a bike?
    😆

uplink
    Free Member

We have very good spin classes at our gym – pretty much cycling specific so 2 of those per week
    1 weekend proper ride
    2 or 3 runs if I can get my knees to tolerate it again

Jase
    Free Member

Turbo every time, can tailer it for your specific requirements.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m guessing here but I reckon he’s already considered that and dismissed it because he doesn’t want to

just a thought 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Because sometimes the weather is really really shite.* Plus time constraints maybe?

*Which is mostly fine to run in, put a pain in the balls to cycle.

kudos100
    Free Member

Gym all year round. Sorted.

mrmo
    Free Member

And if you want to use your time and get fit, sometimes it is better not to go outside but rather use a trainer.

gcubed
    Free Member

Agree with mikey74 , gym – boring , turbo trainer -boring ( only good for injuries ) Get lights , Get out , Ride !! End Of

Jamie
    Free Member

Get lights , Get out , Ride !! End Of

As much as I applaud your enthusiasm, it’s not always that easy surely?

gcubed
    Free Member

Seriously , getting out on a freezing cold crisp winters morning is what memories are made of , you get a totally different aspect of your area, well worth keeping your riding going right thru the winter regardless of weather . I can see the point in countries where they have that much snow that it is physically impossible to ride but we dont really get that in the UK . Don’t become a fair weather biker 😀

uplink
    Free Member

Don’t become a fair weather biker

why not?

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Lycra shorts under the baggies. Lights. New tyres maybe.

gcubed
    Free Member

I live in Ayrshire Scotland and yes when you get up and look out you think ‘What the !!! ‘ and just want to go back inside but get that first mile or two under your belt and you’ll be fine. Mind over matter , its never that bad when you actually get out. Go one give it a go 8)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thanks for info and kick/motivation! Good to see I’m not alone with Turbo tv and winter bike.

For the last two years -I can’t handle cold weather (runs back inside) and I was the one who used to nag’ everyone to come out for Winter night rides and show off my reflective leggings 😯

Getting my thyroid hormones checked too as I’m shivering and it’s only 16 degrees C! -probably my fault for riding in warm weather too much.

Like some of you folks, I will have very little free time till mid June. The turbo will be my social life 😯

Oh and wear slippers when walking around the Turbo Trainer – after stubbing my toe I can do a brilliant Bruce Lee final blow yell 😆

(Will try the odd Sunday 2 hr ride once a week if it is dry…mtfu I know!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

most weather is couch weather – it looks much worse from the couch than the saddle
    Ride but do use turbo but it is dull so I tend to ride unless it is seriously windy. On our usual night ride we ride or get called names
    Get some nutty mates who will ride in all weather and ride in all weather

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ll be riding my bike, I sort of wish I had a turbo trainer even though I know they’re frowned upon by any serious cyclist.

Might join a gym aswell, just so I can say “I go to the gym”

I live in Ayrshire Scotland and yes when you get up and look out you think ‘What the !!! ‘ and just want to go back inside but get that first mile or two under your belt and you’ll be fine. Mind over matter , its never that bad when you actually get out. Go one give it a go

Yes, thats spot on. Once you’ve done the first mile its fine. I went out today and it was absolutely hammering it down, did the first mile and I was fine. Ended up staying out for about 3 hours in the end.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

The bulk of my riding will be done outside as normal, except for when the snow is too deep, and then it’ll be turbo or spinning classes. Gym (weights), running and climbing will be the same as the rest of the year 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Turbo trainer all the way..

Other things i use are a balance ball for core work and gym mat for push ups etc. I’d like TRX gym band but theyre expensive.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Get out there….

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Turbos are for when you’ve got broken ribs/arms/whatever.

Gyms are for …. well TBH I don’t know why anyone would consider going to the gym as an alternative to going on an MTB.
    Supplement to, not alternative to.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Gym or Turbo Trainer for winter? What's your cup of tea?’ is closed to new replies.