• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jonba.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gym guru's assemble. Bad back and "the gym" help.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So after this morning’s consultation it would appear doctor bad back says I’ve got to live with it as he’s not willing to operate.
    I’ve got degeneration of two discs in the lower back which causes me plenty of pain but I tend to get on with it.
    However the latest visit to the docs was prompted by it actually hurting to walk and the main thing stopping me from riding.
    Pain/nerve blockers is an option if I can’t strengthen/ease my back pain via exercise.
    So having never set foot in a gym where the **** do I start? Swimming is another option but im shit at it to be fair.

oldtennisshoes

Pilates

perchypanther
    Free Member

Swimming is another option but im shit at it to be fair.

Take lessons and get better at it?

Yoga?

Time machine and the sense to listen when some old guy told you that 200mm dense concrete blocks were called grunters for a good reason?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Try Yoga. Sister in law has a similar problem and swears that it has helped her.

oldnpastit

Have you done the standard bad-back physio exercises that the NHS put out?

(It’s a subset of Pilates, but without having to be humiliated in front of a bunch of women who seem to do the exercises effortlessly).

makkag
    Free Member

Swimming – I fractured my spine after biking accident 2 years ago and met a c7/6 fused patient in physio.. he swore by swimming helping him recover faster and stronger. I hated swimming and really had to build up slowly but now its part of my routine and keeps the pain at bay more effectively than anything else i do. Get some lessons vary the stroke and buy some waterproof headphones.. it can get boring without some tunes

oikeith

Swimming isnt that bad, took me about a month to go from drowning man treading water to becoming a mer-man…

The first few times were painful but youtube videos re learning freestyle and breathing techniques really helped me and then I was away!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

First thing if your not of low body fat lose some weight, it’s common sense that any extra weight is going to exacerbate the problem.
    If you can be arsed to do that then next step is to learn to hip hinge, stop bending over and grinding away those bones.
    Next step learn to deadlift and squat correctly, watch hundreds of youtube videos and get a trainer who knows what he/she is doing.
    Strengthen those spinal erectors, if you do these things you will eventually improve significantly.

This is not really a problem of the body, but a problem of the mindset.
    Get yourself a plan. Execute said plan.

I am in no way qualified to give advice of any kind, but i do have a core of steel.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d recommend pilates from my own experiences but I can see why swimming might work as you are supported yet able to excercise which would be particularly good in the short term.

Not all pilates classes are created equal. Try and find a small one, particularly at first. It is quite subtle and your body will naturally try and cheat at the excercises to make them easier. It takes some one who knows what they are doing to correct you and make you do things properly.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I would definitely recommend pilates as well. Try and find an independent instructor if you can who will understand your needs more. This will build your core strength.

I would also be tempted to seek a second opinion on the operation advice having had 2 ops on disks myself.

Careful on the anti-inflammatories as they have now caused me kidney issues !

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Do you think it would be worthwhile seeking out the advice of a physio to get an initial set of stretches/exercise to do? All the gym, swimming, pilates and yoga stuff is going to do you the world of good in the long term but if it were me I’d want to start with half a dozen very specific exercises that I could do every day.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve lived with back/disc issues for 15 years. The main think I have noticed is the stronger my “core” is, the less it hurts. Bridges, deadbugs, planks, hypers galore. Dont even think about deadlifting whatever you do, even now I won’t go heavy on DLs, it’s too high risk. The other thing is assess how you sleep. You want to avoid rotation so if you sleep on your side with your legs apart (recovery type shape) then you WILL need to change it sooner rather than later.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks so far. Ive done physio and had acupuncture via the same physio etc, she was good but i’ll be dead honest its a bit too rich at 40 quid a week for one visit so gave it up after a month as i wasnt really seeing much improvement. I am stiffer than a board to be fair and appreciate this doesn’t help my predicament. Doc reckoned they discs are only slightly protruding and will not fully slip/herniate or get any worse than current.
    I’m a victim of my own 20 year old exuberance (stupidity) and wondered why the old boys on site would let me carry the stone sills and quoins up the ladder on the job where I reckon it all began.

mogrim

If you’re going to start swimming stick to crawl or backstroke; breaststroke puts quite a lot of strain on your back IME. You should probably also avoid kicking drills (using a float out in front of you).

Also what twinw4ll said – I get a lot more back problems when I put on weight.

oldtennisshoes

Swimming will help with cardio and upper body (largely). Pilates will help to strengthen the core – the muscles that you need the strength in to support your back.

jonba
    Free Member

lot of crossover in physio and pilated (in terms of teachers). You might find a “fitness studio” that does both. There is a place near me I did some private physio and the guy also stuck needles in me* and offered pilates instruction – we had a conversation in pilates terms as I was familiar with the excercises. They were very similar to the physio stuff just more general.

Wierdest thing ever, been meaning to look into it. Better than any massage about 4-5 days later but I could barely move at 24hours. Felt like I’d done a race.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gym guru's assemble. Bad back and "the gym" help.’ is closed to new replies.