Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Gym foam roller
  • DrJ

I want to buy a foam roller for self massage (that’s my word for it …) Of course what seemed like a simple purchase turns out to be complicated by a myriad of choices, mainly – long or short, foam or some sort of plastic stuff with a ridged pattern. What should I buy?

You may say that I should just show some independence and make my own mind up, but what if I buy one and next week it turns out that another sort is a STW niche must-have? Then where will I be?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Keep it simple, start with a normal foam one, that not too hard. Because it hurts, a lot.

Be careful too, as you can do yourself an injury with it 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Long black rumble roller. It hurts but in a good way 🙂

stever
    Free Member

Look at this momma! http://moremile.co.uk/accessories/foam-rollers/more-mile-supreme-spikey-ball-massage-stick-mm2182.html
    Works so far. Can’t see that it’s worth paying a lot. There’s no magic to them.

MoreCashThanDash

Aldi have some in on Friday, £6.99 I think.

No idea what it will be like, but as most of their stuff is serviceable, I’m taking a punt on one.

cjr61

I always suggest getting a blue one first to ease you in!

Self-Myofascial release (yep i’m a geek!) isn’t always effective with everyone and too much pain/discomfort will limit the benefits also. Easy rule of thumb is to match the density of the roller with the density of the athlete. If you’re super muscle and no fat (aren’t we all on STW though!!) i.e. high density muscle then go for the nobbly black rollers, if you’re like the rest of us ( :roll:) and a little more insulated for winter then blue is a bit softer.

The aldi one looks pretty good as a starter and really cost effective way of testing it out.

I wrote a free info sheet for my athletes which you’re welcome to download. (Mods it’s all freebie and i’m not touting for business, hope that’s OK).

Clicky Foam Roller Freebie

DrJ

Brilliant, thanks 🙂

cjr61

😀

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Yes, but is it going to “love you long time?”

eddie11
    Free Member

Didn’t think there was much of a science to it. The more mile/ start fitness ones are a metal tube and nobbly foam outer. The colours mean nothing on them. They seem to work, they certainly do the hurting bit.

cjr61

General consensus is that if the rolling leaves you bruised it’s too hard a roller….ohh err! 😕

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Prepare to cry when zou get onto your hamstrings and thighs it hurts like hell!

brooess
    Free Member

I bought a cheap one and it cracked so I reckon it’s worth forking out £40 for The Grid, which seems to be the most recommended.
    You’ll find out very quickly that you have tight spots you never knew you had. but after a few weeks of carrying on despite the pain, you do soften up so I’d recommend it. Where it does really hurt you can still do the exercise but take a bit of weight off the roller and keep gradually at it until you can do it without the pain.
    Really good for keeping DOMS at bay and allowing you to do a hard effort again the next day if you’re in serious training

Onzadog
    Free Member

I personally prefer “the stick”. Easier to use so used more often. I’ve got a foam roller which I just use for upper back some times.

gee
    Free Member

I never knew so much pain could hide inside such an innocuous looking inanimate object.

GB

Philby

I never knew so much pain could hide inside such an innocuous looking inanimate object.

+1

singletracksurfer

Want to try one myself, but looked on Amazon & Ebay and there are LOOOADS to choose from.

Think I’ll go for a black knobbly one – anyone have any specific recommendations?

Thanks.

jonny-m
    Free Member

If you’ve never used one before I would get a smooth one, they’re all pretty much the same. I had a 66fit one I got from Amazon for about a tenner.

Once you get “used” to that I would recommend paying a bit extra and getting a rumble roller, the blue one!
    The black version is extra firm and after 2 years I’m still not ready for that yet.
    Google Rumbleroller, totally recommended in my professional opinion, pricey but solid!

singletracksurfer

Noted. Thanks. Ordered a smooth to start with 🙂

TubsRacing
    Free Member

Love that the last of 20 odd sports equipment items in the Aldi specials is a tube of ibuprofen

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO1VRTv-GJs&spfreload=10[/video]

RobHilton
    Free Member

Interesting review: http://www.swolept.com/posts/critical-foam-roller-review-rumbleroller-vs-the-grid#.VKY4kiusWao

Conclusion if I struggle with long sentences: cheap is best; hard regular roller > grid > rumble roller, but the boss is a PVC pipe – only for the hardcore!!

DrJ

Well, I ordered one from More Mile (website above) and requested next business day delivery (extra cost, obviously), which should have seen it into my greedy hands today. However, the useless idiots didn’t even send it til today, so it will be delivered Monday. When I will be at work. So they won’t be able to deliver it. Unacceptable.

jimmy

Noticed a few In TKMaxx earlier. They looked quite nobbly.

MoreCashThanDash

tried the Aldi one for the first time tonight.

Ouch!

vickypea
    Free Member

My physiotherapist just uses a cheap rolling pin

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Gym foam roller’ is closed to new replies.