Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • GXP SRAM S1000 2×10 crank – can't get the dam thing off
  • vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Anyone else has problems releasing the 8mm hex thread? Trying my hardest to turn it counter clockwise but just won’t budge. Anyone got the solution? BB getting a tad Grindy so time to renew.

Thanks in advance

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Long Allen Key, stand on it and bounce

davros

Yeah I had trouble with mine. You just need some serious leverage; much more than a standard length 8mm hex will give you. Big wrench should free it.

everyone
    Free Member

I find the easiest way to release it is to shock the Allen key. Either jump on it or use a hammer.

Be careful though, it can ping out if you’re not careful! Don’t blame me if you lose an eye.

Dogsby

I took mine off a few weeks ago and had loads of trouble getting it off. I had to stand back and thunk whether I was trying to turn it the wrong direction as it would not budge. Only solution was to attack it with confidence!

Also, when I got the hex bolt thing out I couldn’t get the crank arm off. I put an old crank removal tool into the hole in the arm vacated by the hex bolt thing, put a drift pin in the crank axle and tapped it off. Worked a treat.

Good luck

Dogsby

ebennett

Yep, they’re a bitch to get off sometimes, particularly if it’s not been off since new. I got the LBS to get mine undone when it was in getting some work done anyway, they said it was as above, long lever is the key!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I used a long allen key and stuck a seat post tube on the end of the key for extra leverage. Man it was on tight!

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

I’ll gel a 8mm hex for the torque wrench, should be enough leverage on that if I wack the torque up, either that or get some sort of tube on the go. All this to sort a creaky crank out!!,

njee20
    Free Member

That’ll **** your torque wrench too.

Handlebar on the end of an Allen key.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If they’re anything like older race Face, 24″ breaker bar with a proper 8mm hex socket on the end, and if required ****t it with a big hammer

Frankenstein
    Free Member

How much torque in Nm does it state on the instructions?

40-60Nm and I would normally use a 3/8″ torque wrench with some leverage/rubber mallet on the cranks.

Or leave overnight with WD40?

vitusbigwheeler
    Free Member

Done 8mm hex socket, normal 3/8 socket bar, half a dozen cable ties to brace crank arm against the frame and went with a good push.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘GXP SRAM S1000 2×10 crank – can't get the dam thing off’ is closed to new replies.