Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • GXP cranks on a Hope External Bottom Bracket – any problems?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thinking of getting a new XX1 chainset and wondering as i have a hope external BB if converting it to a GXP one using the hope/gxp converter is a problem?

does everything run ok? doesnt affect bearing life nor will my cups come undone etc?

just before taking the plunge want to make sure its just as efficient as HT2 cranks and a hope BB have been

messiah
    Free Member

My XX1 has been fine on a Hope BB that had a years use before. I needed to grease the bearings as they were dry but so far so good for 2 months.

chiefgrooveguru

The adapters can sometimes cause the plastic bearing cover to turn when pedalling which can make the odd annoying noise. Apart from that it works really well. My Hope BB lasted for something like a hundred times as long as the GXP BB and is still going strong – but the crank’s self-extracting bolt system failed so they were binned recently and replaced with a Shimano set. GXP adapter was knocked out and Hope BB continuing to perform well. When everything else on the bike was running silently that noise did get grating when it started and wouldn’t stop for a few weeks…

ChrisI

Just converted over from HTII to GXP for XX1 on my Hope BB. Everything seems to be fine. As chief said above, the adapters can bind on the plastic outer seal/cover, but other than that its all good and spins as freely as before so its not binding or anything. Added benefit of Hope is you can run a BB mounted guide such as the MRP AMG which you cant do with SRAM GXP as they dont use a spacer whereas Hope uses one spacer by default. I’ll be getting an AMG next pay day I think to keep the XX1 protected from strikes.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nope – no probs with the GXP Hope convertor spacers to date 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘GXP cranks on a Hope External Bottom Bracket – any problems?’ is closed to new replies.