Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • GXP Crank install issue
  • afrothunder88

Having an odd problem with a set of Stylo GXP cranks, I had them on my 456SS with a Superstar BB and had no issues, span freely etc. Moved them to a 2006 SX Trail with a 73mm BB shell, installed the BB with no spacers as per SRAM’s instructions and put the cranks on, torquing down the 8mm bolt until there is no play in the cranks means they won’t spin at all, its like they’re too tight. Loosening the 8mm bolt until they spin results in about 1mm of play in the cranks.

What’s going on?

I’ve tried adding in BB spacers also but that results in the same issue.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

My Yeti DJ was like that. Had to run a couple of 1 or 2mm spacers between crank arm and bb.

sam_underhill

I’m new to GXP but I’ve got the new 1×11 cranks on a new build.

If I understand correctly the torque on the bolt is high as it doesn’t transfer the load onto the bearings. The crank arm should butt against the end of the splines on the spindle.

So if things are tightening up then something is effectively making the BB too wide which means you are now tightening the crank arms into the bearing. It could be something as trivial as muck / compacted grease (effectively shortening the spindle) or something like threads not long enough in the BB shell or even the shell is too wide.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘GXP Crank install issue’ is closed to new replies.