Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • GXP BB's
  • shanta
    Free Member

I need to replace the BB on my missus’s 5 which has got a Descendant crank. At the moment it has a HOPE BB with the adaptors in, however i dont wont to use anothe HOPE BB as, in my experience they dont last any longer than cheaper BB’s. So, can the adaptors be removed and fitted to a good old Shimano BB or is the the best option:

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3477&g=249222&p=53345&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Bottom%20Brackets&gclid=CILm_6vUjbcCFWbKtAodnUoAHQ

Cheers

Northwind

I had a look at that with an SLX, wouldn’t work- the inside of the shell prevented the adaptor from being fitted.

The latest Truvativ BBs are still absolute shit, incidentally, they might as well just ship them out full of mud. I’m not a member of the church of Hope but you really ought to get better life from them than from a cheapy.

Token have a GXP option I think?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My current GXP (Fire-x) cranks have lasted 10x longer so far than my first set (SRAM something or others), that’s about 20 rides as opposed to 2 though so time will tell if the have actually changed.

Wastefull as it seems, you could pick up some 2nd hand shimano cranks for peanuts, and a XTR BB from germany for £15 and have some change over a Hope BB (and some better cranks)!

Simon

Never got more than a few months out of a GXP bb. Changed to a Hope Stainless with adaptors as they’re designed to have the bearings swapped.
    Over 2 years later and I’m still on the original bearings….

shanta
    Free Member

Oh..suppose i could get some replacementbbearkngs from Katec but not sure if i can get the adaptors without knackering them up….

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Gxp 2 bb now on 2 years life here dunno what the issue is

shanta
    Free Member

So is the GXP in the link what i need ?

backinireland
    Free Member

any recommendations for a press fit 92 BB for an on one whippet?

orangeboy
    Free Member

If it were me I’d just change the bearings in the hope one your have , those step down adapters will come
    Out with a little effort

frogstomp

Just fitting a new GXP for my new cranks and was wondering whether the people who are finding their BBs short-lived are following the service intervals?

Road Bikes: 100hrs use in dry conditions.
    Mountain Bikes: 50hrs use in dry conditions.

Re-grease bearings immediately following any significant exposure to water (heavy rain; water crossings).

I probably wouldn’t have noticed the instructions if I wasn’t be doubly careful as the cranks are new and expensive!

Northwind

frogstomp – Member

Road Bikes: 100hrs use in dry conditions.
    Mountain Bikes: 50hrs use in dry conditions.

I got at most 70 hours out of the one in my road bike, never a drop of rain, before it was dead as a rock.

But yeah, I didn’t know that and it’s the final nail in the coffin for me, a BB you need to service every time it rains? What a joke.

shanta
    Free Member

I cant be arsed with that TBH. Looks like i will prob whack some new bearing in Hope cups , if i can get adaptors out without butchering them!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘GXP BB's’ is closed to new replies.