Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • GXP BB replacement?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Something is making an almighty creaking noise from the BB area of my fatty, so I suspect the BB has given up the ghost, seeing as it’s been sat unused for the best part of 9 months due to moving house I suspect it’s seized rather than worn, and it’s done a reasonable mileage*.

Is there anything better (and comparably cheap) than another SRAM BB? Don’t really want to splash out on a Hope BB as I’ve plans to sell the bike so it’s not really worthwhile. Token?

*unlike my first one, so I’m prepared to accept that they’ve gotten better since the early days of “GXP is crap, get shimano”.

Northwind

I’ve not used it, because I’d rather eat my own toes than fit another sram crank, but I saw Gusset do one for GXP now. Their HT2 BB is excellent- pretty long lived but also easily serviced and uses standard bearings. So if it was me, I’d try that.

acidtest
    Free Member

Before you replace it spray some GT85 around the casing but not into the actual bb. That solved some serious creaking on mine and has been good as gold since. Might not make a difference but worth a try if you’re gonna replace it anyway.

dovebiker

You could simply try a Hope GXP adaptor with an HT2 BB? The adaptor is a 24 to 22mm reducer bush that you fit to the NDS bearing. GXP has no means of adjusting axial bearing load except wavey washer so you may have to use shims to get it right.

matt_outandabout

Shimano cranks and BB.

I wish I had done it 4 years and about 11 GXP bottom brackets earlier on my Stylo’s…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘GXP BB replacement?’ is closed to new replies.