Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • GXP BB Recommendations?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I saw one on Chain Reaction at about £20 but there some of the reviews suggested the BB shells were made of cheese and then that the seals weren’t fantastic.

I don’t want to spend a fortune as this is a budget build for a winter bike. Just need something that has a good probability of doing the job with as little trouble as possible.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A normal Hope one with a GPX converter?

martib

+1 for mrblobby

My new bike at the beginning of the year came with a GXP BB, I have had a couple of problems with it the seals are poor and despite a couple of attempts to nurse it, it got to the point it needed replacing. It has now been replaced with a Hope BB & GXP Converter, a lot smoother and maintainable.

IMO I doubt the GXP BB will last the winter, don’t waste your money.

Northwind

Token do a GXP I think- pretty decent bearings and a lot cheaper than Hope. The Truvativ/SRAM ones are absolute shit unfortunately, I’ve had them go rough after just a couple of wet rides.

The smart money might be on changing crankset instead, for a cheap used Shimano or Raceface that’ll use a standard 24mm BB

smett72

Had virtually the same experience as martib. GXP BB lasting about a year on a new bike. Also replaced with Hope BB and GXP converter. Only been on 2-3 months now, but so far, so good.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

GXP adapter & Shimano BB 🙂

Cheap X01 cranks, direct mount ring = a lot lighter than any Shimano crank.

I use one of the cheap Brightline adapters on an XT BB, which i found a seller on Ebay knocking them out for a tenner.

Best of both worlds then.

scuttler

Hope adapter – I went through 2 or 3 GXPs before putting the adapter in about 3 years ago. It could probably do with some attention now but it’s been so much better.

jekkyl

I ride my bike 2/3 times a week for a min of 18-20 per ride almost every week of the year. I have a gxp crankset on and the BB’s last about 6/8 months. Is this any better than the shimano ones? the gxp bbs go for about 20 quid everywhere and the shimano ones are about 12 quid. I also use a little rubber O ring to hold the top hat in place against the bearing, it works very well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘GXP BB Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.