Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • GXP BB bearing life question (gone past the point of no return but..)
  • Saccades
    Free Member

I have a PX london road and it’s been creaking a bit since a spin in the rain 2-3 weeks ago. I thought it might be the saddle (I’ve been playing with position) or the seatpost (it has a shim and a thomson collar).

Riding home today was a creaking nightmare and I’ve tracked it down to the rusty drive side GXP Bottom Bracket (There is rust leaking out from there).

I’ve done ~350km on it since the rain and I need to get another 250km out of it before I can get to a shop to replace it.

Will it just get harder/nosier to peddle or will it seize up? Is it possible to damage the frame?

It’s only done 1800km commuting too, quite disappointed with it.

jamj1974

I have about 2000km off-road on an xx-1 BB. I’ve re-greased the bearings twice in that time.

Saccades
    Free Member

Off road I’d class that as ok/good, on the road it’s pretty poor compared to the HT2 stuff I replace once a year as preventative maintenance.

jamj1974

Sorry. Was suggesting that you haven’t got the performance you have paid for. I should have been a lot clearer!

Saccades
    Free Member

No worries, not just me that thinks it then.

I’ve been watching videos and I can strip the crank off with the tools I have (first time for everything), so I’m going to phone a not so local LBS so see if I bring the bike in if he’ll replace the GXP whilst I’m in the shop.

I’m v short on time and can’t make 2 commutes but have had 2 lovely spins planned for months and would hate to miss them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘GXP BB bearing life question (gone past the point of no return but..)’ is closed to new replies.