Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • GX Eagle or XT Dilemma
  • lotto
    Free Member

Get Eagle. You’ll never wish you had XT. Buy XT you’ll always wonder about Eagle.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I.ll soon have Xt/ XTR shifter with 32/34t oval chainrings and 11-46 on 3 of my bikes I like it, got 11 speed SRAM and its good also, the eagle price puts me off

Got a 1×10 sunrace cassette 11-42t and that runs superb too.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Eagle, I’m just coming up to 58 and can get up all the Peak District climbs I did on 2 X 10.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

get up all the Peak District climbs I did on 2 X 10

haha

2×10 not really the thread here – but I love Deore 2×10 low cost stuff (M6000 with short cage).

rear 11…42
    front 24 + 34
    24 front / 42 rear = ratio 0.57 very, very hard to beat!
    When going for long, long uphill plus heavy backpack…this M6000 Deore is just great!
    :mrgreen:
    (my biking friends with 1×11 suffer on these uphill trips 😥 )

Northwind

I have an 11-speed XT/SRAM mixup and tbh it’s no better than alright. I’d go Eagle without a second’s hesitation if I was buying today. I definitely wouldn’t put a Shimano 1x cassette on anything, they’re a poor offering.

chilled76
    Free Member

Whats this Eagle horror story everyone is going on about?

olly2097
    Free Member

I’ve gone from 10 speed XT to Eagle GX.

It’s awesome. I do find that the GX lacks the mud shredding abilities of the Shimano drivetrain though. Or maybe it’s just the time of year and conditions are worse but the jockey wheels clog up quite easily with leaves and mud etc.

simondbarnes

Can I achieve a decent climbing set up with the XT?

Yup. 22/30/40 Xt M8000 chainset, 11/40 XT M8000 cassette.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I bought a full XT M8000 groupset out of habit. Poor overall for a XT. Cassette is medieval, 11t is medieval (I knew about that bit though!), brakes are leaking.
    I am slowly moving to SRAM though, starting with XD and GX cassette.

Shifter and rear mech next.

Shimano have assumed they didn’t to innovate and just rely on their reputation which only works so far as the quality is down compared to their 10-speed kit.

Northwind

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that the levers on my XT shifter rub together sometimes, which doens’t really matter and I wouldn’t mind on Deore or an unnamed but it’s not cool on XT

kimbers

Well my xt 11-46 with sram gx shifter, NX mech was spot on today, no back-pedaling issues, all seems great, but the NX jockey wheels did pull in a lot of mud and leaves

nickfrog
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that the levers on my XT shifter rub together sometimes, which doens’t really matter and I wouldn’t mind on Deore or an unnamed but it’s not cool on XT

The only XT thing in the current XT is the name. It can’t match NX for feel or shifting smoothness / precision. They have seriously dropped the ball, and that’s coming from a massive Shimano fan.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘GX Eagle or XT Dilemma’ is closed to new replies.