Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)
  • Gwinn leaves $pecialized. Where too now?
  • honourablegeorge

aarongwin1Woke up to some new team rumors posted as “facts” and I’m just over here like…

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAka2T2lSm8/

jmatlock
    Free Member

I would love to see a return to when teams rebadged other makes bikes. Like when Thomas Missier rode a Turner Burner DH with a Kona sticker on it.

Gwinn on a new Demo, with a YT sticker on it.

thepodge
    Free Member

The classic days of everyone riding a sintesi

chrismac

Interesting. Im wondering what Audi get out of it? I accept it will be peanuts to them to do it

sweaman2
    Free Member

People who pay $10k for a bike are high income earners who can probably if they desire also buy an Audi. It probably also fits with their adventurous image, they already sponsor a lot of the skiing downhill etc which is (I think) aiming at a similar demographic.

rs
    Free Member

Im wondering what Audi get out of it?

not much, everybody on STW already owns one don’t they!

km79
    Free Member

Interesting. Im wondering what Audi get out of it? I accept it will be peanuts to them to do it

They could probably make a pretty good tv advert out of it.

chakaping
    Free Member
    munrobiker
    Free Member

With regard to the KTM/Audi together thing (given that Audi own Ducati) stranger things are happening-

cokie

There you have it! Gwinn on YT
    More here

wrecker
    Free Member

So still not confirmed and just the same gossip everyone else has been spouting

😆

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Nevermind YT, what about the real news?!?

Gwin on Onza tyres 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Nice use of Yeti turquoise in the logo highlights in the above photo. Very 2014-15.

bubs

He doesn’t look very happy it.

thepodge
    Free Member

wrecker – So still not confirmed and just the same gossip everyone else has been spouting

Just because its correct now doesn’t change the fact that it was still gossip back then. There is also a distinct lack of Audi and KTM, so you managed to get 1 out of 3 correct.

kimbers

The Onza Ibex is a great tyre, do they have the all important fast rear tho, rock razor/slaughter/minion ss. ?

wrecker
    Free Member

Just because its correct now doesn’t change the fact that it was still gossip back then.

Put it away, I’m just teasing.

There is also a distinct lack of Audi and KTM, so you managed to get 1 out of 3 correct.

Actually I didn’t say it would be any of the above, so I got 0/3. Or 0/1. Whatever.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bit of a damp squib at this point innit?

The most news-worthy part of the news seems to be that he doesn’t have a drivetrain sponsor that makes mechs and shifters.

Maybe after Leogang last year he’s decided to just save the weight?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

With regard to the KTM/Audi together thing (given that Audi own Ducati) stranger things are happening-

That’s Hyundai Power Engineering, not Hyundai cars, the Korean equivalent of the difference between Rolls-Royce engines and Rolls Royce cars (although in this case I think they are still the same company). Similarly your iPhone probably arrived in the UK on a ship built by Samsung.

Although being a competitor to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries you’d still think there would be some conflict in the branding.

thepodge
    Free Member

chakaping – The most news-worthy part of the news seems to be that he doesn’t have a drivetrain sponsor that makes mechs and shifters.

Doesn’t list a fork sponsor either though the pics clearly show fox, I’d have thought they’d have been happy to work with him

legend
    Free Member

Doesn’t list a fork sponsor either though the pics clearly show fox, I’d have thought they’d have been happy to work with him

There’s a big Fox logo on his jersey….

wrecker
    Free Member

Its because Fox aren’t sponsoring the team, just Gwinn.

Trimix
    Free Member

So, will YT now cost more ?

cokie

YT have already gone up in price on their new releases.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Interesting mix of parts.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

TRP brakes! will be interesting to see them in action.

honourablegeorge

Interesting that neither Shimano nor SRAM are onboard. Wonder if the big brands lean on them to keep away from that nasty direct sales YT lot?

Someone like Hope could’ve been in there.

chakaping
    Free Member

“YT Mob”.

I’m sure any similarities to “SC Syndicate” are purely coincidental.

chakaping
    Free Member

Interview with YT boss is interesting, I like the cut of his jib…
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/interview-marhus-flossman-yt-2016.html

Even if he does look alarmingly like James Franco.

coogan
    Free Member

Needs to update his website, still has Spesh’s logo on it as he stands with his YT.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s a big Fox logo on his jersey….

Fox suspension and fox clothing were founded seperately by two brothers. Legend has it they flipped a coin to decide who got which logo hence the fox head on jerseys and the tail on the suspension.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s the point of being associated with a guy who runs his suspension rock solid… 8)

DanW
    Free Member

Interview with YT boss is interesting, I like the cut of his jib…

I am too cynical 🙂 He says a lot without saying much, much like anyone involved in sales/ marketing. That isn’t to say YT come across badly, just that everything is as expected and predictable. At least he knows what to say to get the PB audience onside which is more than can be said for most companies who seem to be stumbling around a little at the moment!

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I don’t see the point in buying into the ‘marketing machine’ when that marketing machine’s only notable video production commissioned by himself in 2015 was a motocross video that wasn’t for his major sponsor.

alpin
    Free Member

Friend of mine started at Specialized last week as their enduro mechanic and I got a guided tour of the workshops, offices bike storage and canteen….
    One of their guys was saying that Bruno and the other two young French guys (along with their own mechanic and support) are costing Specialized less than what Gwinn was asking.

I hope that it is already common knowledge that Bruni and Co are riding for Specialized….

hexhamstu
    Free Member

One of their guys was saying that Bruno and the other two young French guys

??

chakaping
    Free Member

It said Fox were suspension sponsors on the PB story I thought?

And that’s the Fox suspension logo on his jersey (with Alpinestars being his clothing sponsor).

One of their guys was saying that Bruno and the other two young French guys (along with their own mechanic and support) are costing Specialized less than what Gwinn was asking.

I think this had kind of been worked out, but the question is whether they’re worth more or not. Bruni is a really likeable lad but I’d expect him to win maybe 1/3 of what Gwin will.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1/3 overall or from now? Bruni has at least 10 more years at the top. From here on in he’s a better bet

chakaping
    Free Member

They must have signed Bruni for three years.

He’s previously won one top race while Gwin has won 14.

I think it’s a reasonable forecast for the next three years, assuming Gwin wins a bit less and Bruni a bit more.

What’s more interesting to me is that Spesh don’t seem too fussed on having an all-American hero any more.

wrecker
    Free Member

I read it that $pesh decided to put more money into enduro (Graves) than DH with Gwinn. Getting Bruni at a fraction of the cost is a no-brainer.

It said Fox were suspension sponsors on the PB story I thought?

I don’t think so. Note the lack of fox logo on Gwinns team mates’ shirt.

In addition to YT as title sponsor, the YT Mob will have the following co-sponsors: e*thirteen, Onza Tires, TRP, Renthal, SDG, Motorex, ODI, Cane Creek and Alpinestars.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘Gwinn leaves $pecialized. Where too now?’ is closed to new replies.