• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • guys (and gals) do you protect your bits ?
  • beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Ok so.i just noticed on the muc off packaging that it’s “formulated” to be safe on disc brake pads !!!!!!
    Do any of you protect your brake pads and callipers when cleaning your bikes with cleaning products ? I always have in the past as a pair of xt pads ain’t cheap .

soobalias
    Free Member

i ride my bike, not look at it.

if it aint broke dont clean it – bit a wipe and oil for the chain/forks is the only regular ‘cleaning’

end of the ride saturday, i was handed a free mini bottle of muc off – think the guy was a little offended when i said i didnt want it.

seavers
    Free Member

This thread is not what I expected.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

When you go out and come back and the muds filled the gap between the forks and the tyre it needs washing . I do ride my bike and don’t just look at it thankyou . Sonny .

Northwind

I have a bottle of muc off that gets used when I want to sell things. Not sure why it’d be useful on the bike though, on the rare occasions I wash one water and a brush does the job.

ThePinkster

I’ve never even thought about it.

Rinse it.
    Squirt with Fenwick’s.
    Wash it down.
    Job done. Never had a pad fail yet (OK, I know I’ve tempted fate now).

Onzadog
    Free Member

WUL has never hurt my pads or discs.

seavers
    Free Member

Rinse it.
    Squirt with Fenwick’s.
    Wash it down.
    Job done.

OK, Now it is.

soobalias
    Free Member

When you go out and come back and the muds filled the gap between the forks and the tyre it needs

…the mud clearing, the wheels and drivetrain spinning, drying and then bounce/knock/brush the dry mud off.

apologies if you keep your pride and joy above the mantlepiece, i guess i would have to clean it if that were me.

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

I keep mine clean, purely from the habit of keeping my motorbikes clean. I dont use mucoff though, just wup

scc999

I do so love the way that even a thread about bike cleaning can lead to arguments / veiled insults.

My car hardly ever gets cleaned, I don’t look down on people that clean theirs, nor do I feel the need to imply that they don’t drive their cars just because they keep them clean. Maybe I’m just too tolerant when people do things differently.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I do so love the way that even a thread about bike cleaning can lead to arguments / veiled insults.

^^ THIS ^^

Bikes are expensive. It’s common sense to want to look after them and keep them clean. It must be nice to ride a filthy, crunchy piece of junk all the time…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

beermonst3r44 – Member
    When you go out and come back and the muds filled the gap between the forks and the tyre it needs washing . I do ride my bike and don’t just look at it thankyou . Sonny .

😀 😀

Time spent washing your bike is time that could be spent riding it, or talking about it on the internet. Only girls clean their bikes; I bet you drink shandy and watch wendyball aswell.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ll ask my mechanic. Although the silly sod is probably busy watching the tennis.

😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I never think about it, though I do check the label on all the puddles I ride through to make sure they are safe to use 😉

Bikes are expensive. It’s common sense to want to look after them and keep them clean. It must be nice to ride a filthy, crunchy piece of junk all the time…

I can clean the important bits, I don’t suffer from premature destruction of components like some appear to so I guess I’m either the exception or just doing fine.

spooky_b329

When you go out and come back and the muds filled the gap between the forks and the tyre it needs washing

I’ll wash the mud off the bike, but I just use plain water/hosepipe.

Otherwise it just gets the mud brushed off, runs lovely and quiet. Tend to clean in the nooks and crannies whenever I’m removing components in those areas. It gets a proper wash about once a year 🙂

When I used to keep my bike washed and lubed I was forever missing bits and getting squeaks, and overspray onto pads.

nickc

I can manage wash my bike without worrying about brake pads, or that people I don’t know think differently.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

This was my issue , a few years back when I was washing my bike my pads kept failing . Which is why I cover them with a plastic bag or something now . My bike was quite expensive for me so yes I do look after it , and for the record (I’m struggling posting pics) it lives hung up in my living room . A.for as the tics and B. Because I don’t have tonnes of space .

soobalias
    Free Member

i would kill to keep my bikes in the house.
    sorry, what i meant was, i would be killed if i tried to keep my bikes in the house.
    i also enjoy football.
    vive la difference
    :o)

(this post wouldnt be complete without suggesting that the pads which disintegrated just due to washing came from………)

ahwiles
    Free Member

do i protect my brake pads/discs when i wash my bike?

no.

do i protect my brake pads/discs when i use* spray lube?

yes, an old Tshirt wrapped around seems to work.

(*i try not to, tends to cause more problems than it solves)

DickBarton

I give mine a wash…but rather than worrying about the wasted 5 minutes of ride time doing this, I accept I’ll have 5 minutes less in bed…far easier concept to accept.

IanMunro
    Free Member

In answer to the OP – no.
    Besides brakes aren’t very strava.

DezB
    Free Member

I think people who don’t wash stuff are probably a bit, you know… whiffy.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘guys (and gals) do you protect your bits ?’ is closed to new replies.