Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Guy martins latest challenge
  • bigjim

can’t help but think that many miles on UK roads in winter is probably the most dangerous thing he’s done yet 😯

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Where can I find info on the route with progress etc ?

Andy_K

AFAIK You can’t.

franksinatra

That is very commited Puffer training

Sandwich

I suspect his Puffer appearance may not happen this year.

ratherbeintobago

What’re the rules for this? Is it roads as close to the coastline as possible, or the actual coastline?

tjagain

Shame we don’t know the route and timing – he will go right past my door at some point.

andeh

Presumably he’s not making a big deal of it on purpose, he doesn’t seem keen on attention at the best of times. For him it’s a personal thing, he doesn’t care if other folk know or not….at least, that’s the impression I get.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s a bloody good average speed for so long, 250 miles a day @ 20 mph is 12.5 hours riding if it drops to 15 the would be over 16, what happens when he hits a 25mph headwind ? Won’t be getting much sleep to stay on schedule.

epicyclo

Klunk – Member
    …what happens when he hits a 25mph headwind ?..

Or a 38mph one as expected on north coast today, but it will drop to high 20s. 🙂

greentricky
    Free Member

Doesn’t anti clockwise mean he will have a headwind all down the west coast JoG to Lands End?

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes but it means getting Hull over and done with nice and early.

Rachel

scotroutes

“Well it’s not gone quite to plan.
    “I”ve cycled over 11,000 miles this year, including the Tour Divide in America, to and from work most days and I spent three weeks in China in October, back for a few days at work, straight to New Zealand for ten days racing motorbikes, back for a few days at work and then off.
    “I badly pulled my achilles tendon on the left side after a day or so but thought I’d just get my head down and work through it. I kept good miles up and got to John O’Groats from Grimsby in 4 days and 8 hours, about 800 miles. But my leg was getting worse and I thought I could keep going and maybe do the whole lot in 30 days but I knew I’d be jiggered for a long time after and maybe even have serious long term damage, which would mean I couldn’t do the serious cycle trip I’ve got in my head for next year.
    So I’ve put my push bike back in the shed for the rest of the year, giving my leg a chance to recover. I’m back at work and I realise I need to listen to my body more. By just manning up I was papering over the cracks. Thanks very much for the support, loads of folk wishing me well and that was mega.
    “It is what it is and like I said ‘Ive got to stop it before it stops me’ and it did stop me.”

ads678

😥 Good on him for giving it a go though.

snownrock

I’m struggling with an iffy left Achilles too, a real bother on my 16 miles per day commute, I feel his pain… 😳

jekkyl

wonder what his plans are for next year, Grimsby to Grimsby via the rest of the world perhaps? now that would be mega!

zippykona

He is due to ride his motorbike back from India at some point.
    That will be proper mega.

bland

which would mean I couldn’t do the serious cycle trip I’ve got in my head for next year.

Taking on Mikes round the world record by the looks of it!

CountZero

Having watched Guy’s desert ride in China, no real preparation before hand, apart from loading up with a couple of Kebabs, no fancy kit apart from his commute single-speed and some energy bars and stuff, then knocking nineteen hours off the previous ride, I’m convinced that whatever he attempts, he’ll do it or die trying!
    I’d like to see the mad bastard have a go at the Iditabike!

Spin
    Free Member

then knocking nineteen hours off the previous ride,

I got the impression the previous ‘record holders’ hadn’t really set out to set a record and rode it fully loaded with touring kit so not really surprising he took that much off.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

aye it was a soft record to take, but 300 odd miles across a desert is still 300 odd mile across a desert,

why a salsa cutthroat for this record? because he’d done plenty of miles during the divide on it? surely the wrong bike though for the job?

and its a mega job

ratherbeintobago

He did the TD on a Fargo, IIRC.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ambitious project, sadly ended short.

Best wishes Guy, you’re a lad.

scotroutes

I got the impression the previous ‘record holders’ hadn’t really set out to set a record and rode it fully loaded with touring kit so not really surprising he took that much off.

Careful. You’ll have the disciples of St. Guy after you.

Spin
    Free Member

Careful. You’ll have the disciples of St. Guy after you.

My card’s already marked on that front.

natrix
    Free Member

I wonder if they have enough footage for the TV program?? It is due to go out on 29 December Ch4…………….

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Guy martins latest challenge’ is closed to new replies.