• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by paton.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Guy Martins death wish
  • Mooly
    Free Member

So does Guy Martin genuinely have a death wish?
    Watched his wall of death last night and seemed to want to keep going even though apparently, as few weeks later he admitted, that he couldn’t actually see anything. There must be a legitimate condition for people who have no idea of where the limits are and take some sort of weird pleasure in pushing past the point of safety and sanity.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Don’t believe the hype, its a TV programme.

If you don’t get why people like doing dangerous things, there is no point trying to explain.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Nah…

scud
    Free Member

I think he is probably your average TT racer, willing to go right to the edge of what is possible confident in the knowledge of his skill level, so probably not a death wish, but an ability to really push himself to the limit.

BoardinBob

There must be a legitimate condition for people who have no idea of where the limits are and take some sort of weird pleasure in pushing past the point of safety and sanity

Also known as The Conservative Party

Onzadog
    Free Member

He might be exploring his limits but as he didn’t crash or die, I don’t think he’s gone past them.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

After reading his first book, i’m pretty sure these TT guys have a a sense of control that we mere mortals can only dream of. He talks about making adjustments at 180 miles an hour like he’s doing 20 on a Honda C90.

as he put it, “when you dead, you dead”

jam-bo

Anyone else read the thread title and think there was a new series out?

mos

has anybody noticed the line and word spacing in his latest book? Could be half the number of pages.

Harry_the_Spider

Perhaps they are breathy pauses so you can sound like the narrator.

sbob
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

Anyone else read the thread title and think there was a new series out?

Yes. 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think he is probably your average TT racer, willing to go right to the edge of what is possible confident in the knowledge of his skill level, so probably not a death wish, but an ability to really push himself to the limit.

Most TT riders are pretty level headed. They know what they do can kill them very easily but they don’t race flat out as such. It’s rare you see a knee on the floor in a corner, for instance. They keep something in reserve. It’s not ridden like a short circuit.

BoardinBob

they don’t race flat out as such

Aye, it looks like they’re holding back…

Northwind

Yeah, I remember Bruce Anstey saying something like “We must all look mental, but if you were mental, you’d die in your first TT”.

As for Guy Martin, do bear in mind he’s a born storyteller. You know how, over time and retelling, you can end up with a sort of ideal story and a couple of years on you don’t necessarily remember the truth, just the story? With Guy Martin, I’ve watched this happen in realtime 😆 He’s not dishonest, he’s just telling the story as it should have been.

firestarter
    Free Member

Did you ever see the speed record thing on the salt flats he had one eye closed all the time as the screen distorted his vision

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Read the book “That near death thing” gives a real view of the top TT racers, they aren’t all deranged except Micheal Dunlop who functions in a different way almost “angry with the mountain” his sub 17 minute lap has raised the bar again. Terrifying

singlesman
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks the front runners at the TT are ‘holding something in reserve’ obviously hasn’t been for quite some time.

paton
    Free Member

Closer to the Edge
    gives an insight into Guy Martin and into the IoM TT

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXwyhMunrXY[/video]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXwyhMunrXY

Guy Martin meets Danny MacAskill

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNSePLh8zeU[/video]

CountZero

Seeing as how Guy is giving up the TT, I would say the one thing he doesnt have is a death-wish, any more than any extreme sport participants do; watching the paraglider pilots attempting to film the diving eagle sequence for Planet Earth II is pretty terrifying, but I’m pretty sure every pilot would deny they’re trying to kill themselves every time they take flight.

paton
    Free Member

Ulster GP crash 2015

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdm0_urUjw[/video]

IoM TT Crash 2010
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QffTMlzfRog[/video]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martins death wish’ is closed to new replies.