Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Guy Martin on C4 now, robot cars
  • davosaurusrex

Looks like it could be a good one

Drac

Transformers?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Skidz!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I wonder if GeoHot aka George Hotz will be on. His kit is about a grand iirc

Drac

Is the project looking like it might be a disaster if their luck doesn’t change soon.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Makes tea reeet.. crack on 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sadly all they are interested in is how fast an AI car can go..

So electric cars and self driving cars are only perceived good, if they can go fast.. 🙄

jekkyl

Yeah then you can get there faster

MoreCashThanDash

The robot put the milk in the cup first 🙄

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody good to see Young intelligent folks into this sort of thing, so talented and such nice personalities too.

Fabulous.. 8)

tthew

That was one of his best yet. Really enjoyed that, especially the computer test where his opinion was ‘The people in the killing machine die every time. Easy!’

orangeboy
    Free Member

I thought it was good.

But there are so many issues about driverless cars out in the real world , I’m just not sure we will see them soon.

As for plug in electric well that won’t be long before mass usage

Harry_the_Spider

I thought that was excellent. Much better than the ones where Guy “builds” a tank/Spitfire/space station… but I like those too.

crosshair
    Free Member

A simple set of tyre warmers could have removed the variable no?

Enjoyed the program 🙂

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Sadly all they are interested in is how fast an AI car can go..

It was a race car on a track and the whole point of the program was to see if a robot controlled car is quicker than a human, what were you expecting 😆

The main thing in my mind was answered near the start of the program about how accurate the GPS was, 1cm 😯 Was worth watching just to see Guys Volvo in action and as a petrolhead seeing the car stuck in the gravel under robot control made my day 8)

jimw
    Free Member

I Think the point with the tyre temp was that they needed to add an algorithm that allowed the vehicle to realise the lack of grip had caused an oversteer and to then back off untill it could ‘feel’ the tyres were back up to max grip. But the more they test the sooner this will happen

burko73

Pretty amazing that old Volvo though!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Didn’t the race car have stability control? If so why did it spin out even on cold tyres? I would have thought that fitting any modern Ferrari, McLaren or Mercedes supercar with the robot system they fitted the Transit with and letting the car’s systems override the robot if necessary, just like it would a human, would have given better result and still be fully autonomous.

bikebouy
    Free Member

MarkBrewer – Member
    It was a race car on a track and the whole point of the program was to see if a robot controlled car is quicker than a human, what were you expecting

I’m not sure if you actually watched the programme. 🙄

Don’t suppose you watched the Tesla vs Guys Volvo, nah.. you probably went and made tea 🙄

julians
    Free Member

Didn’t the race car have stability control? If so why did it spin out even on cold tyres? I would have thought that fitting any modern Ferrari, McLaren or Mercedes supercar with the robot system they fitted the Transit with and letting the car’s systems override the robot if necessary, just like it would a human, would have given better result and still be fully autonomous

I’m presuming/assuming that the race series that the car is destined for does not allow the use of traction control/stability control in the traditional sense like you have on normal cars.

richmars

Simple tyre temperature sensors would be the simple solution to the spin.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’m presuming/assuming that the race series that the car is destined for does not allow the use of traction control/stability control in the traditional sense like you have on normal cars.

If that was the case then without some sensors to detect side slip and wheel spin the robot never had a chance. A human driver can sense all that through their hands and feet and ears so to ensure a level playing field the robot should have had ESC, ABS and traction control. If it had I reckon Guy wouldn’t have stood a chance. I can’t help thinking that outfit were a bit amateurish.

richmars

I can’t help thinking that outfit were a bit amateurish.

The fact that none of them were prepared to sit in the car at the same speeds that GM was showed they didn’t have much confidence in their work.

matt_outandabout

Perhaps more racers and mechanics rather than geeks needed?

PePPeR

The point about them being more geeky than racers is apt, they need to know how a car responds at the limits to be able to build this into the commands.

Even Guy span the car 4 times, it looked a little tricky.

prawny

The robot put the milk in the cup first

That’s how Guy does it, it was in one of his older series. Something about mixture vs emulsion, I have no idea.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’d like to see blind taste-tests with a batch of Yorkshire-men vs robots vs milk-first vs teabag-first

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

without some sensors to detect side slip and wheel spin the robot never had a chance. A human driver can sense all that through their hands and feet and ears

Although Guy span the car he recognised the fact where as the robot didn’t seem to know what was going on and was already focusing on the next corner.

It would definitely need more sensors to detect when things were going wrong. I think that’s the part of driving on the limit where it’ll be pretty hard to replicate human input. I think they would need rain sensors too 😆

zilog6128

where as the robot didn’t seem to know what was going on and was already focusing on the next corner.

Even an iPhone would know which way it was pointing vs which way it was moving i.e. is it skidding. AI in the car actually seemed very dumb; they were re-programming it before every lap. Especially as previous segments in the programme had highlighted learning AI, etc. Also poster above is correct, team needs someone (like Guy!) with experience & common sense, not just eggheads!!

Great episode though, very interesting. Loved the robot transit!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Also poster above is correct, team needs someone (like Guy!) with experience & common sense, not just eggheads!!

How about Audi?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol3g7i64RAI[/video]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It worried me that the team building the race car appeared to miss out such a simple thing ie they were just turning up the dial of power on the computer. So all the car did was just use more throttle.

All modern cars have traction control systems that sense when the wheels are slipping, this thing obviously didn’t or it was very crude ? They need to employ someone from F1 / Motor racing, they obviously are techy guys at heart, but worrying they are developing a system without all the right skill sets on hand.

maxtorque

FunkyDunc – Member
    It worried me that the team building the race car appeared to miss out such a simple thing ie they were just turning up the dial of power on the computer. So all the car did was just use more throttle.

and you know this ^^ how exactly?

(I suspect the bit they were “turning up” was in fact the target mU value…..)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do you lot realise how many people will become unemployed once robot/driverless cars become the norm?

shifter
    Free Member

Great episode. Loved the house with truck sized garage.

epicyclo

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Do you lot realise how many people will become unemployed once robot/driverless cars become the norm?

Defence lawyers for entitled speedy arseholes? 🙂

mrhoppy

esselgruntfuttock – Member

They did say that number in the program, but as pointed out in the program too, automation has taken place in other industries where there was a direct job loss but that was more than offset by other job creation.

franksinatra

Well those fake taxi videos are going to be a bit dull for a start when the driver is no longer required

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well those fake taxi videos are going to be a bit dull for a start when the driver is no longer required

That’s what reminded me Frank. I was driving through Dewsbury yesterday (doors locked, baseball bat by my side) & I noticed how many taxis there were driving about. This was at 1pm so god knows how many are in action later on, & I thought, ‘hmm, when driverless cars come in,all these poor drivers will be on the dole’ (or selling drugs, or something)

CountZero

Yeah, and? If I put the milk in first, I then know when to take the bag out, by the colour, ‘cos I then know it’s strong enough.
    It’s also the way tea was traditionally made by Victorians, the milk stopped fragile porcelain cups cracking when hot water was poured in.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

and you know this ^^ how exactly?

I don’t but they changed a value that allowed the car to lap quicker. However because the car hadn’t been programmed correctly or had sensors fitted that let it learn that tyre grip alters (baffling) it just assumed it could go at the max speed possible through the corner. That’s not AI, that’s someone missing out a key bit of programming. How much more have they left out ?

A normal road car these days will allow you to go full throttle through a corner like that without spinning as the computers will work out the max throttle to enable the car to continue. That thing didn’t it just went straight back to too much on the throttle.

Even Guy said they had missed a load of programming with how jerky it was.

Geniuses at what they do but that’s computing, not working out how to drive a car quickly and they need to get that skill set on board in their project

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin on C4 now, robot cars’ is closed to new replies.