Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • Guy Martin – Hovercraft (contains spoilers)
  • boltonjon

Best one yet

Great bits about mountain biking – there was even a Cotic Rocket on it!!

A nice piece on Hope, some great flirting – with Guy not thinking she’ll like Grimsbry after living in Geneva and an epic crash which he laughed about before he’d got pout of the cark

Top bloke and top entertainment

Makes Top Gear look pretty sh*te 🙂

lerk
    Free Member

ampthill – Member
    I’d like to see him just have a crack at a few cycling events just to see how it goes.

Err, you do realise he’s an avid 24hr MTB Racer in his spare time don’t you???
    2nd Solo Male at the strathpuffer this year!

MoreCashThanDash

Couples come dine with me featuring Guy and the French lady?

Harry_the_Spider

Couples come dine with me featuring Guy and the French lady?

Keeenwaar anyone?

jimjam
    Free Member

Obviously it’s a tv show, so what they chose to show and leave out is based on it’s entertainment factor, but I was surprised they didn’t look at hubs (especially with Hope involved) and how they might contribute to the bike’s speed.

I thought they might have looked at rim and tyre width a bit more too.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry, we need to show a lady pulling a truck. No time to show any of that technical rubbish.

Harry_the_Spider

But ladies pulling trucks is more interesting. I’ve never thought “blimey, that’s impressive” about a hub.

Jamie
    Free Member

+never

I know, I wasn’t being serious. It’s obvious what goes in and why.

Harry_the_Spider

Stealth edit

psling
    Free Member

They concluded that 20″ was better than 26″ as it offered less air resistance. That was enough to put me off 29″ for a goodly time to come…
    And didn’t they look at tyre width / pressure and their effects on handling on the runs at Mt Ventoux.

edhornby

“she’s from Geneva, can she weld ?” this should be on a t-shirt

the one thing we didn’t see was them checking the wind direction and speed, this can be pretty fierce on ventoux – although they were in the tree covered section nearer the bottom

some clip on wheel discs would have bought a few mph as well

ampthill

Err, you do realise he’s an avid 24hr MTB Racer in his spare time don’t you???

Yes I did

But for telly I thought Fort Bill would be better. Oh and its to do with trying new things.

I hope Ms Schmitt saw “the pull” in America before saying yes. Assuming she is hoping for sole access

convert

Just watched it (work avoidance).

Was a good one I thought. Still a bit made for TV though -a very clear emphasis to make this an all female support programme. Quite a bit of air time spent on the female bobsleigh team which translated into very half arsed pushing on the day in a vehicle not modded in any way to make pushing a big deal. If the push off was such a big deal why not add a couple of pop away handles like a bobsleigh and rope in a couple of massive (male)sprinters/bob sleighers? Then a complete absence of airtime of the welding up of the steel frame and only minimal airtime on the cadcam and layup of the shell – maybe these were too male dominated filming to fit with the editor’s aims for the programme.

The programme also requires Guy playing the idiot for the purposes of telly from time to time – if there is anyone in Britian that didn’t need a ‘lesson’ on braking distance having an exponential relationship to speed it is probably Guy Martin!

It’s still compulsive viewing though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Quite a bit of air time spent on the female bobsleigh team which translated into very half arsed pushing on the day in a vehicle not modded in any way to make pushing a big deal.

Yes, this stood out to me as well and just reinforced the way they’ve produced all this Guy series ie putting in completely puzzling arbitrary stuff for no apparent reason. Still enjoyed it tho.

Jamie
    Free Member

The programme also requires Guy playing the idiot for the purposes of telly from time to time – if there is anyone in Britian that didn’t need a ‘lesson’ on braking distance having an exponential relationship to speed it is probably Guy Martin!

I think that’s the main boner of contention with this episode. You don’t go round the Isle of Man like he does, and not know about braking distances.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I think that’s the main boner of contention with this episode. You don’t go round the Isle of Man like he does, and not know about braking distances.

Read his book, there’s not much that bloke doesn’t know about squeezing every inch out of braking distances. He’s just one of those people that can take it much closer to the limit than the rest of us.

Klunk
    Free Member

some clip on wheel discs would have bought a few mph as well

strange they didn’t have them as it was in the original cg/cad design.

Bunnyhop

I was a bit worried when liquid started to leak out after the crash, then quickly realised it was water and not Guy’s bodily fluids 😳

terrahawk
    Free Member

the programme isn’t really about teaching Guy Martin things, it’s about showing science stuff to the viewers.

convert

the programme isn’t really about teaching Guy Martin things, it’s about showing science stuff to the viewers.

Until the science stuff gets too boring/techy/geeky (like the aerodynamics of the wheels/efficiency of the hubs) – then the viewers get to watch a big lass pulling a truck 😀

Northwind

ampthill – Member

But for telly I thought Fort Bill would be better. Oh and its to do with trying new things.

He’s raced dh before- did the fort william endurance dh twice so presumably he’s done some normal dh too. (did I beat him? Well I thought you’d never ask! Yes I did.)

terrahawk
    Free Member

Until the science stuff gets too boring/techy/geeky (like the aerodynamics of the wheels/efficiency of the hubs) – then the viewers get to watch a big lass pulling a truck

Sunday evening telly. It’s not the OU.

convert

Sunday evening telly. It’s not the OU.

Yes, absolutely. Everyone watching telly on a Sunday evening has been lobotomised. Best to dumb down to the lowest common denominator 😉

I really enjoyed this series but I’d say series one was better (for me), mainly because the producers seemed to be less concerned about making it ‘accessible’.

mick_r

I think Channel 4 had a science remit in it’s licence agreement for x number of hours airtime. Hence why they had things like Scrapheap Challenge (which my kids used to love).

At the end of last night both boys declared “we want to do all of that” (build it, drive it etc). So yes, it was basic and a bit contrived at times but in terms of general interest science and entertainment for the masses it was job done as far as I’m concerned.

terrahawk
    Free Member

At the end of last night both boys declared “we want to do all of that” (build it, drive it etc). So yes, it was basic and a bit contrived at times but in terms of general interest science and entertainment for the masses it was job done as far as I’m concerned.

what he said.

tomkerton
    Free Member

I’d have liked to have seen a bit more of the frame and shell being built.

But good telly just cos it’s him.

Harry_the_Spider

It is about making accessible TV and selling advertising space.

I doubt very much that a program with loads of time dedicated to TIG welding and composite construction would interest anybody other than us lot on here.

As it stands my missus sat through an hour of TV about a grown man going down a big hill on a go kart without saying “what the #### is this rubbish?”. So I guess that they know what they are doing when it comes to making Sunday night TV.

Looking forward to series 3.

mick_r

Terrahawk – unfortunately this has fuelled the fire of me having to make a pedal car for them to do next year’s “Darwen pedal car grand prix”. You and Guy not fancy making a guest appearance? It won’t be hard to beat our efforts in team Sparkle this year (DFL) 🙂 (luckily this year’s car was nothing to do with me).

zilog6128

Very entertaining; more than made up for last week’s episode!

Although I agree with the comments about the show being dumbed-down compared to the previous series. Still way better than Top Gear though!

RustySpanner

I really like these programs – Top Gear without the twattery.

As it stands my missus sat through an hour of TV about a grown man going down a big hill on a go kart without saying “what the #### is this rubbish?”. So I guess that they know what they are doing when it comes to making Sunday night TV.

Yup – Mrs S will happily watch.
    He has a great ability to make this stuff accessible to everyone.
    Can only be a good thing, right?

slowoldman – Member

I’d like to see him do a program where he wins a TT.

Me too.

He’s been unbelievably unlucky with machinery, lots of breakdowns when his engines were built by other people.

He’s also had Bruce Anstey, Hutchy, McGuinness and now Michael Dunlop to contend with – golden age of road racing, innit?

hooli

I can never understand why people moan about stuff like this on telly. Even an average episode is still a thousand times better than anything else on. I bet it costs less to make too than I’m (not) a celebrity on ice/bake off/sitting in a house all day…

Jamie
    Free Member

That realisation did finally plop into my consciousness, around the exact same time the edit window closed.

MoreCashThanDash

Maybe for the next series he could revisit all the previous challenges but his support team will have to be made up entirely of the armchair experts/critics on this forum. Coz they can always do it better. 🙄

chrismac

Enjoyed the episode but the push off from the start was pathetic after doing a section on it earlier. I was expecting some sort of retractable push bars and a starting block on the road ala bobsleigh. That would have given him a few more mph

vondally
    Free Member

agreed

so can we have Guy Martin, Brian Cox and Dara O’Brien as a group?

Houns

Nice to see last of the summer wine back on a Sunday night. Compo still after Nora Batty I see

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No its nothing to do with teaching him things, its all about him having has much fun as possible. Lucky sod !

jekkyl

do you get the feeling that guy is a little socially inept around women? It seems that he could have pulled any of those ‘birds’ but probably didn’t!! just a bit sexist ‘go awn say something french for me’ was a bit cringey and calling them birds.
    that tall lass came running over crying when he crashed for eg. ‘Oh Guy’ she was hot for him clearly. 8)

DaRC_L

do you get the feeling that guy is a little socially inept around women?

Yes – I think he leaves all that to his brother. It’s probably best ‘cos a girlfriend would only try to change him

RustySpanner

He’s a world famous motorcycle racer with a sense of humour and his own TV series.
    I’m surprised he’s still got the energy to brew his own tea.

I think you may be worrying unnecessarily.
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin – Hovercraft (contains spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.