Viewing 33 posts - 161 through 193 (of 193 total)
  • Guy Martin doing Great Divide race?
  • alansd1980

He is on route and doing it as an itt

A good friend also doing the ride had lunch with him yesterday.

zilog6128

I hope someone emails Terry Smith about this thread after the event & he has a good chuckle about the international intrigue he’s caused all the lovestruck teenagers. 🙂

JohnClimber
    Free Member
    jekkyl

Using a route map from 2011!!?
    I’m sorry but what a **** moron. Is he trying to be deliberately more stupid as he believes it gives him more character?

Rik
    Free Member

What is wrong with this forum!!!!

That man is riding 2700+ miles averaging over 140 miles and your calling him a moron?

What ever guys intentions he’s doing stuff most can’t manage and the rest dream of but only the few do.

scotroutes

Makes some sense. He can write about/present a programme on doing the TDR without it impinging on anyone else’s event. If there is any support at all for him then he was never really competing the 2016 race anyway.

jekkyl

Guy Martin…. can cycle 2700+ miles averaging over 120 a day but can’t download an up to date route card. Gets lost several times and cycles over 100 extra miles… gets disqualified from his ITT. Okay maybe moron was a bit strong! 😐

dazh

This thread is funny. 5 pages about a man doing a bike ride. I could understand if it was about the ride, as it’s a bloody remarkable thing to do, and anyone who does it deserves all the kudos and plaudits on offer. But has it occured to those who are questioning him, calling him names or who are annoyed that he’s not got a tracker or live-blogging every time he goes for a pee that he might not be doing it to impress you?

ninfan
    Free Member

can cycle 2700+ miles averaging over 120 a day but can’t download an up to date route card. Gets lost several times and cycles over 100 extra miles… gets disqualified from his ITT.

Sounds very much like the classic type of day to day difficulties that someone living with an autistic spectrum disorder might have.

Nothing to do with being a moron.

metalheart
    Free Member

Sounds very much like the classic type of day to day difficulties that someone living with an autistic spectrum disorder might have.

^^^This ,plus he’s just a truck mechanic from Grimsby…

Sounds exactly the kind of shit I would do (except the 140 miles a day part… 😳 ).

And, by the photos, he looks to be enjoying himself.

epicyclo

jekkyl – Member
    Guy Martin…. can cycle 2700+ miles averaging over 120 a day but can’t download an up to date route card. Gets lost several times and cycles over 100 extra miles…

Knowing how foggy my mind gets after a 24 hour, I doubt I would have many functioning brain cells after a week, let alone the distance he’s covered, so getting lost seems perfectly reasonable to me. 🙂

Regardless of whether he’s on the wrong route, or been DQed, it’s still a huge ride, and if it’s personal achievement he’s aiming for rather than a win, he’s got it.

bigrich

I’m sorry but what a **** moron.

he gets to ride bikes in amazing places, hit trucks with hammers and gets paid loads for his trouble.

I don’t think he’s a moron.

ratherbeintobago

If there is any support at all for him then he was never really competing the 2016 race anyway.

I thought he was just doing this for the sake of doing it? If he was competing he’d have set off with the others, and someone said above that the man Miles doing it with him was tied to the TV – no TV, hence no Jason.

jameso

can cycle 2700+ miles averaging over 120 a day but can’t download an up to date route card. Gets lost several times and cycles over 100 extra miles… gets disqualified from his ITT

Maybe you’re applying rules to his ride?

People do the race without GPS at times and get lost. Easily done. Others do the older route for whatever reason they like, maybe at the same time as the TD happens. Some don’t spend days worth of time planning the details and wing it, maybe don’t spend any time on forums planning it at all. ITTs are a personal challenge so who cares if it’s the ‘official’ route, the route’s different most years somehow anyway. Can’t blame someone for skipping 40 miles of clag to ride a different route, etc. The GDMTBR is a route that’s got all mixed up with the TDR. One is a fixed route, the other isn’t.

cokie

He’s lost a bit of weight, eh! Looking very trim.
    Looks to be having fun, so he’s doing it right.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

He’s lost a bit of weight, eh! Looking very trim.

You’re not doing the whole “STW has a man crush on Guy” trope any favors!

ads678

Guy Martin…. can cycle 2700+ miles averaging over 120 a day but can’t download an up to date route card.

I don’t understand the link between riding a bike and IT proficiency!?!

monksie
    Free Member

Looks to me like he’s having a great time and not caring one bit that Jekyl’s head has burst with the inconsideration of not following ‘the correct route’,
    How do you disqualify yourself from your own “individual” ride anyway?
    I’m in for it next year and if I’ve got half the inclination to have a chat and a laugh with somebody at the mileage that this bloke’s at, I’ll be pretty amazed and I like a laugh and a chat as much as the next person.

VanHalen

im just reading one of his books – basically he doesnt like teh fame and all the shit that goes with it he just wants to ride his bikes with no fuss.

jam-bo

im just reading one of his books – basically he doesnt like teh fame and all the shit that goes with it

like writing books? 😉

acidtest
    Free Member

…and being on a TV show with his name in the title.

xyeti
    Free Member

And cutting about in Bentley,,,,,

midlifecrashes

Are they going to catch the heatwave in SW US? Bits of Arizona were up around 49 deg C!!!!!! this week.

ninfan
    Free Member

Mikes now sitting with 400 miles to go, and about 21 hours up on Kato’s record, butty my reckoning a sleep down.

Kato seemed to do a huge final push at this point last year, covering whats left in 36 hours.

Its a superhuman effort so far, Just how much will Mike end up putting into the record?

epicyclo

Meanwhile… ?

teamslug
    Free Member

“You’re not doing the whole “STW has a man crush on Guy” trope any favors!”

Well I wouldn’t sleep him…not til he’s had a wash

shifter
    Free Member

I looked up trope and I still don’t know what it means, or how it applies to GM. You lot must move in some strange circles to use fancy words like that.

epicyclo

teamslug – Member
    “You’re not doing the whole “STW has a man crush on Guy” trope any favors!”

Well I wouldn’t sleep him…not til he’s had a wash

I’ve been in the same race as him so I’m entitled to be interested.

Did I ever mention my TT lap time?

Oh, hang on, it was the ‘Puffer. 🙂

nedrapier

Terry Smith is a few hundred yards from finishing.

andyg1966

I think he (Terry!) has finished, the last ‘ping’ was 12 hours ago at the border.

nedrapier

Yeah, wondered that after I posted! I thought the flags disappeared after they finished, but he’s got a different thinger, hasn’t he?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I don’t understand the link between riding a bike and IT proficiency!?!

er, this is STW?

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Mikes now sitting with 400 miles to go, and about 21 hours up on Kato’s record, butty my reckoning a sleep down.

Kato seemed to do a huge final push at this point last year, covering whats left in 36 hours.

Its a superhuman effort so far, Just how much will Mike end up putting into the record?

And the answer is – rather a lot! It was a superhuman effort to the end. Averaging less than four hours sleep/night at those average speeds/miles covered – truly epic.

The SS record got smashed by four days as well by Chris Plesko in second place. He was pushing a 32/16 on a 29er.

Viewing 33 posts - 161 through 193 (of 193 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin doing Great Divide race?’ is closed to new replies.