• This topic has 62 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Guy Martin crash
  • Harry_the_Spider
    sandwicheater

Blooming heck.

IMO it looked like the marshals were trying to remove his helmet. Thought that was a no no.

pondo

Or supporting his head.

theotherjonv

I don’t think they were, guy in green (maybe a paramedic) was holding it straight.

But if he wasn’t breathing / had no airway, then that has to be the first thing to deal with, and if that means the helmet comes off, so be it.

allthepies
    Free Member

By eck chief.

sandwicheater

Fair enough, not enough of a clip to say. Hope he gets up and back on the bike quickly. I’d have broken every bone in my body and burst into flames if that had been me.

terrahawk
    Free Member

he’s broken a few bones (some really important ones too) but still alive and no permanent damage. Our big ride the week after next might not happen… 😉

theotherjonv

LINCOLNSHIRE racer Guy Martin is set to undergo surgery after his Ulster Grand Prix crash.

The 33-year-old, who works as a truck mechanic in Grimsby, has suffered unstable fractures and remains in hospital.

Martin, who has won the main Ulster event 11 times, crashed his Tyco BMW yesterday while leading the Dundrod 150 Superbike race.

He has suffered breaks to his ribs, sternum and vertebrae but is said to be in good spirits with family alongside him in hospital.

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Guy-Martin-undergo-surgery-Ulster-Grand-Prix/story-27564069-detail/story.html#ixzz3i83gGH1G
    Follow us: @GrimsbyTel on Twitter | grimsbytel on Facebook

Northwind

Sair one, classic wee highside… Article says he’s escaped serious injury, so I guess he doesn’t need those vertebrae 😆 He didn’t hit anything but the bike and the ground

sobriety
    Free Member

English rider Guy Martin escapes serious injury when he comes off during the Dundrod 150 race on Thursday.

Although in road-racing ‘escapes serious injury’ basically means not dead or paralyzed.

badnewz
    Free Member

He’s a lucky boy (again), no wall or telegraph polls to hit just some very muddy grass!

munrobiker
    Free Member

“Escaped major injury”- how major is major? Broken bones or punctured lungs? Watching it it looked like the bike was going to mow him down, which I suspect would have hurt, but fortunately it didn’t.

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, nasty. Wonder why the bike flipped… did the front wheel slip sideways?

mintimperial

Ooof. Glad there wasn’t anything much between the field and the road there. Hope he mends quickly.

convert

You see, yesterday I was having slight motorbike curious thoughts – and now I see this. Thoughts returned to the back of mind for the foreseeable.

Can you drink tea through a straw whilst flat on your back?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

@ DezB

Back wheel steps out then finds grip = high side. Get off!

almightydutch
    Free Member

DezB, classic highside. He’s gone for the throttle and the rear tyre didn’t have the grip he expected. Bingo out the top door!!

Lucky it happened as quick as it did as that tree was very close.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Maybe this angry driver marshall’s bike races at the weekend ? 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

this puts me off ever wanting a motorbike. Sure he was hammering it, but hes meant to know what hes doing. If a bike can jump up and bite the arse of Guy Martin out of nowhere, then it tells me mere mortals are just asking for trouble..

weeksy

tpbiker – Member

this puts me off ever wanting a motorbike. Sure he was hammering it, but hes meant to know what hes doing. If a bike can jump up and bite the arse of Guy Martin out of nowhere, then it tells me mere mortals are just asking for trouble..

He was running at a pace quicker than the 2nd fastest blokes in the world… he was lapping at lap record pace I expect on the edge of adhesion and grip.

His road riding has as much in common with other peoples as cycling to the shops does with Gwin doing downhill.

sobriety
    Free Member

it tells me mere mortals are just asking for trouble..

Except that a ‘mere mortal’ should never get that close to the limit, except on a racetrack.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Hope he heals quickly. That looked like it could have ended much worse than it did.

sobriety
    Free Member

Looking at that again, that looks like an intentionally created run off area, they had them at the Armoy Road Races last month. The fences of the farmers fields are removable so that an area without anything too hard to hit can be created wherever possible in the most likely areas for accidents to happen.

Euro
    Free Member

I once took a job in Lisburn just so i could ride the majority of the circuit on my commute to work. That particular corner is very nice when you get it right.

Get well soon Mr Guy.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Except that a ‘mere mortal’ should never get that close to the limit, except on a racetrack.

But they invariably do..hence the reason so many bikers crash.

He was running at a pace quicker than the 2nd fastest blokes in the world… he was lapping at lap record pace I expect on the edge of adhesion and grip.

I appreciate he was going alot faster than your average biker, but then again he has alot more skill…

His road riding has as much in common with other peoples as cycling to the shops does with Gwin doing downhill.

My riding may have very little in common with Gwin, but the one thing I do have in common is when I push too hard I fall off. Luckily on a bike when I fall off I’m not travelling at 70mph + with a car coming the other way…

teenrat

Could that be the last time he races a bike? I reckon this crash will make up his mind about retiring.

Very lucky that he didnt hit anything except the foam padding. Hope he fixes OK.

pondo

Not really, you don’t see many highsides on the road. SMIDSY, on the other hand…

weeksy

No they don’t.

They may reach their limit… which is different…

They’re far more likely to crash for 1000 other reasons than the reason Guy MArtin crashed.

sobriety
    Free Member

When I push too hard I fall off.

The trick is not to push to hard on a public road. As someone pointed out on another thread, motorbikes are pretty darwinian in weeding out those who make that mistake.

sv

Great presentation from John Hinds on the injuries that happen, he does talk about helmet removal also.

Such a sad loss for us here in Ulster, RIP to the flying doctor.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg[/video]

tpbiker
    Free Member

They may reach their limit… which is different…

I thought it was fairly obvious that is what I was referring to…either way the result is just the same.

I’m not knocking motorbikes…I’d love one. But they do strike me as rather dangerous and I imagine the temptation to go faster than you ought to is always there.

Anyhow…hope Mr Martin gets better soon.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone reading this thread who hasn’t seen “Road” the documentary about the Dunlop family: Watch it!

weeksy

But they do strike me as rather dangerous and I imagine the temptation to go faster than you ought to is always there.

Of course they are and a lot of us do yes… But that doesn’t necessarily make them dangerous. Sure I’ve broken bones crashing bikes, but I’ve broken them on cycles too.

This is what ‘we’ do… push ourselves, boundaries, fun, speed…. etc.

I’d go racing again tomorrow if it wasn’t for an eyesight issue, despite the fact I wouldn’t do well, would finish close to last… I’d race again in a heartbeat.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ooof it’s a fine line they walk… grip slip grip and you’re cartwheeling through a field!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not knocking motorbikes…I’d love one. But they do strike me as rather dangerous and I imagine the temptation to go faster than you ought to is always there.

Depends what you buy/ride. That’s why the likes of ER6’s exist alongside ZX6r or even a R6 and a R1, pick the bike that’s not going to kill you. If you wanted to do trackdays every weekend then get an R1, if you want to ride around with nothing more than the occasional wheelie get the ER6.

toby1

Either way, when he watches that back I’m sure he’ll be glad it was the bike that picked the tree and not him! If he does get back and race again then he’s a far braver man than me (which lets face it we all know he is anyway!).

qwerty
    Free Member

Awesome fella, i trust he’ll return to whatever he chooses with his reknowned intensity. Heal well.

edlong
    Free Member

I appreciate he was going alot faster than your average biker, but then again he has alot more skill…

The thing with racing is that it’s not about going “a lot faster than average” – it is, done properly, about being at the absolute limit, just this side of crashing. If you’re not riding right on that line, then you’re not going as fast as you could be, and someone else will do, and you’ll lose.

Of course, the corrolarly coralory corororaly flip side of that is that you’re constantly a gnat’s whisker away from disaster.

This is why anyone who thinks or says they drive / ride “like a racer” on roads is a BSer, or a complete psycho. You can’t do that when there’s traffic doing things other than going the same way you are, at the same speeds, and cornering in the same fashion, it just doesn’t work, well not for very long.

You occasionally get racers who aren’t very good at working out exactly where that fine line is. They are very, very fast, except when they’re crashing, which is far too often. imho Marco Simoncelli, certainly when he stepped up to the 500s, was one such rider and I took no pleasure in a prediction I made about him being proved correct not long after I made it…

Guy’s a racer, and a fast one. Occasional crashes go with the territory.

Northwind

sobriety – Member

Not really- a highside isn’t something that only happens on the limit. They’re not common, mind, but especially in the cold or wet it doesn’t need you to be going mad, it can be bad road conditions or a moment’s bad riding. Wee loss of traction, recovery at the wrong moment (ie whatever slippy thing you were spinning up on ends) or you shut the throttle, snap. Physics can be cruel.

Course, you’ll usually not be cracking on like he was there. Practically nobody has the ability and those who do mostly have the sense not to do it on the road.

(I genuinely did it in my driveway while crabbing up some sheet ice at about 1mph- spin spin spin, back wheel caught on some grass growing through a crack in the slabs, bike snaps upright, northwind falls off the side. Imagine my delight.)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Quote Great presentation from John Hinds on the injuries that happen, he does talk about helmet removal also.

Such a sad loss for us here in Ulster, RIP to the flying doctor. Quote

That was a fascinating presentation, these are the guys you want near you when you have a big off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin crash’ is closed to new replies.