Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Guy Martin Bike Cleaner.
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Guy’s never far away from our collective minds, but it seems between racing robots and building tanks he’s come up with a really good idea for bike cleaner.

Guy Wash

With the obvious caveat of it ‘not being shit’ it seems a brilliant idea, I’ve bought concentrated Fenwicks and Much-Off in the past, but they’re pretty hard to find in the shops and still not as concentrated as this.

I’ve got 4-5 empty Muc-Off bottles laying around the place, once the last one is used I’m going to order a couple of slugs in.

dirkpitt74

Just started my last bottle of muc-off.
    I’m gonna give this a go when I run out.

scotroutes

Not his new career then?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is it just rebranded hope shit shifter packaged differently?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

Possibly, but as the packaging is it’s USP that may not be a bad thing.

redthunder
    Free Member

Your right, their is a Home Page.

I just looked 🙂

dirkpitt74

Gary_M – Member

Never used the Hope shit shifter – any good?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Dunno, I don’t use stuff like that. It’s money down the drain.

hambl90
    Free Member

Just got some fenwicks concentrate from merlin for £8.99 , enough for 10ltrs . Makes guys stuff seem expensive.

akira

Also the Fenwick’s stuff can be used as degreaser when at full strength.

Bruce

Hope sh1t shifter is really good it is much better in my opinion than Fenicks or Mucoff but hard to find in shops sometimes.

nealglover
    Free Member

And as always, a £8 5 litre tub of TFR will make a thousand litres of bike cleaner for less than a penny a litre.
    Whoever came up with idea to sell the same stuff in Muckoff bottles for 500 times more money is a bloody genius.

burko73

Where can you get this tfr?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Tfr = traffic film remover. Available on eBay

nealglover
    Free Member

Get a (non caustic) TFR off eBay or from local car shop.
    Mix in a spray bottle as directed (normally 100/1 or 200/1 ratio)
    Roughly a penny a litre as mixed.

Spray on, leave a minute, brush and rinse.
    Job done.

Muckoff is basically TFR premixed in a fancy bottle with a logo on it.
    (And a Five Thousand % markup)

should really be called MugOff 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Muckoff is basically TFR premixed in a fancy bottle with a logo on it.

Yeah but it’s pink ! Pink means good right ?

ibnchris

I like Guy. And Hope. But really?! Cheap squeezy in a bucket of lovely warm water works fine. If I’m feeling flush I do a bit of a spray with an all purpose cleaner (supermarket cheapo brand of course…)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Proper TFR is really really caustic & does, in neat form, actually remove anodising. (I know cos I had a petrol station with a jet wash & used to buy it for £25 for 25ltrs)

I very much doubt if Muc Off or Fenwicks, which I now use, is actual nasty TFR. (Health & Safety etc)

chakaping
    Free Member

Not his new career then?

I was thinking they must be struggling for programme ideas, I can just see the Radio Times now…

Guy Martin: Bike Cleaner
    Sideburned TT motorbike racer and tea-loving eccentric visits lazy MTBers, showing them how to get their Hope components nice and shiny with a bit of proper graft.
    (subtitles recommended)

nealglover
    Free Member

Proper TFR is really really caustic

Caustic TFR is really Caustic.

No caustic TFR isn’t.
    And mixed as described is perfect for cleaning bikes/cars etc.

I very much doubt if Muc Off or Fenwicks, which I now use, is actual nasty TFR. (Health & Safety etc)

It’s exactly what it is, mixed as described, and it’s perfect for cleaning bikes.

But it’s 99% water , and costs a fortune.

Mix it yourself with water from the tap and save £5/litre.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yeah but it’s pink ! Pink means good right ?

You can buy pink TFR if that’s what floats your boat 😆

(TFR is also great for cleaning boats)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

@nealglover, I wish I still had my contact for the stuff I used to buy. I could add some ‘pink’, dilute it to death & make a bloody fortune!
    FWIW, I’d get around 300 car washes out of 25 ltrs of TFR (@£1.00 a litre) Each was was a minimum of £1.30. This was 1995/2000.
    I de-anodised all kinds of stuff with it, including some blue Middleburn chainrings.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just buy it in bulk off eBay ….

Ebay Link.

Mixed at a ratio of 1/100 as described.

You have 2500 litres or ready to use bike cleaner for £19.80

That’s £0.08p for every 10 litres.

Or less than a penny per litre.

And it’s already PINK. 😆

Northwind

I dunno, I got some TFR and while it works great, it also messes with my skin in a way mucoff etc never have (even when fully diluted).

Seems to me that the part of this that’d be worth reinventing, is the squirty bottle- never had one last all that long.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Tfr on a bike is lethal even when diluted check the chemicals out .spend five grand on a bike and whinge about a few pounds on appropriate cleaner just doesn’t make sense .muc off been tfr re branded whilst not it’s biggest fan is like saying fearne cotton and fearne Britton are the same .leave the fairy liquid in the kitchen and stop trying to be so bravodo.oh look at me I use the dogs urine to wash my bike and the cats arse to dry it and my own special sauce to lube the chain . Cough

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I thought I recently watched a GBN video that said washing up liquid doesn’t have any corrosive salt in it and they were cleaning their well expensive bikes with it? I use a bio degradable chain cleaner (forgot the brand) but basically it is Fairy for me now on the bike.

zilog6128

Rarely clean my bike tbh but have used fairy in the past with no ill effects. Surely if you wash it off properly it wouldn’t matter anyway?

New dehydrated aspect of GM cleaner is commendable, although the cynic in me says the whole bike cleaner sector only exists because it’s a very high markup product and people are susceptible to marketing 🙂 (not that I haven’t bought muc off, etc in the past!)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or pound land sell it for a pound.

Saves having to store a 25l drum of tfr for life.

Northwind

eddiebaby – Member

I thought I recently watched a GBN video that said washing up liquid doesn’t have any corrosive salt in it

It can have salt in it, it just doesn’t matter. Bikes don’t evaporate when you put a tiny amount of salt on them then wash it straight off. It’s not great at the job, is the real reason not to use washing up liquid on mountain bikes, it doesn’t shift much that a hose alone doesn’t- could be decent for road bikes though, never tried.

four
    Free Member

Muck off, Fenwixks, Rhino etc……..

Ime no difference to car shampoo or even washing up liquid in a bucket of warm water.

Only caveat is on mat finish carbon frames – they can be made shiny by some products, otherwise it’s car shampoo for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

spend five grand on a bike and whinge about a few pounds on appropriate cleaner

Some of us just think Muc-Off and the like are for newbies, mugs or bike tarts.

Fairy Liquid, warm water and a bit of brushing work fine, though I usually just hose it down and wipe/oil the chain.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

My thought may be it is from the same guys doing Peaty’s stuff. The graphics and marketing approach seem identical.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin Bike Cleaner.’ is closed to new replies.