• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Guy Garvey….. surely the nicest man on the planet?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Listened to many an interview with him, including the one on Lauren’s show on Six Music today.
    He always sounds so nice I want to invite him out for a beer.
    Also has the most soothing voice on the planet.
    Top bloke by the sound of it.
    That is all.

edhornby

I want to invite him out for a beer.

that bit wouldn’t end well for you I fear 🙂 but yes I think he probably is one of the decent ones, I like his show on 6music because I have a similar taste in music

MoreCashThanDash

I’d sooner listen to him talking than singing, but I know what you mean.

Spin
    Free Member

Likes a schwally I believe.

choppersquad
    Free Member

What’s a schwally?

Edric64
    Free Member

Who is he ?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Lead singer of well known pop combo Elbow.
    Or were you just joking?

bomberpork
    Free Member

Him and the rest of the band rented out a stately home nearby and frequented the local pub for food and drink often. I didn’t meet them unfortunately.

rOcKeTdOg

Funny how we are all different, I think it’s awful & I’ve yet to hear a song he sings I’d want to listen again.

So these radio “dj’s have run out of people to interview so they are chatting to each other?

binners

I liked Alex Petredis description of him, after interviewing him:

“A Labrador of a man!”

🙂 he does come across as a brilliant bloke. Still always drinks in the Britons Protection in town, so has good taste in boozers. And I imagine he’s been in most of ’em

Edric64
    Free Member

No ,I had never heard of him

BigJohn

I listen to his 6Music show and I like it a lot. But I like the music he likes more than the music he plays.

Spin
    Free Member

What’s a schwally?

A good bevvy.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

But I like the music he likes more than the music he plays.

His show is great but like others I’ve always found Elbow too ‘easy listening’/nice. His new solo material is a lot more interesting.

Harry_the_Spider

He lives just up the road from me and this week he married Rachael Stirling, which means that Rachael Stirling lives just up the road from me too. Perhaps.

He seems like an absolutely top bloke.

julianwilson
    Free Member

My best mate used to know him around albums 3-4, when they had the same musical publishers (zomba iirc) and would occasionally meet at ‘work’/industry events -he reports that Garvey is indeed a lovely lovely man.

binners

The later Elbow stuff can be a bit Radio 2 for my tastes, but they’ve been around for ever. Leaders of the Free World is the best Album by far, and is quite political. The title track is about Dubya..

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZGGrHcC_xM[/video]

I also like his new solo stuff. A bit more challenging. It sounds like he was getting a bit bored of the Elbow stuff himself

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’ve seen Elbow in concert a couple of times now. At the last gig that I went to of theirs at the 02 he invited a guy who was celebrating his birthday up to the front and gave him his Fender Strat. He’s a great front man and has such brilliant rapport with the crowd. Top bloke.

fatmax

Listened to the same interview, always seems such a genuine and warm hearted bloke.

fatmax

Listened to the same interview, always seems such a genuine and warm hearted bloke.

grizedaleforest

I love the early Elbow albums, less so the recent stuff. Must have a listen to his new solo work.

binners

Going back a few years, I was working at an agency in town. One of the illustrators arrived in late, and very, very hungover. Apparently Guy had bought the house next door, and just moved in. He’d knocked round to introduce himself to his new neighbours, and brought some rather nice wine round as a gift. They than sat chatting for ages while he carried on supplying more wine.

His condition the next morning proved what I’ve heard the likes of Mark Radcliffe say on a few occasions: don’t go out drinking, and try to keep up with Guy Garvey. It won’t end well.

kcal

he’s been on interviews for last week on Radio 3, too, and does seem a genuine enthusiast for music. Sounds OK too me.. Never listened to Elbow though.

CountZero

Funny how we are all different, I think it’s awful & I’ve yet to hear a song he sings I’d want to listen again.

So these radio “dj’s have run out of people to interview so they are chatting to each other?
    Well, considering a fair number of presenters/DJ’s on 6Music are also recording artists themselves, with on-going careers, it’s almost inevitable that there’s going to be a point on the Venn diagram where they’re going to have something to talk to people who listen to 6Music about, so of course they’re going to be interviewed by their co-presenters.
    Unlikely you’ll ever hear LaLa being interviewed about a new Kenickie album, or Jarvis a Pulp album, but it’s quite possible that you may hear Cerys being interviewed about a new album, and Iggy has been interviewed about his recent album.
    To imagine otherwise seems remarkably ignorant of how 6Music works.

CountZero

Regarding Mr Garvey, he’s a terrific front man, I’ve seen Elbow half a dozen times, starting at the O2 Academy in Bristol, going up to three times at the main O2, and Elbow possess the remarkable ability to make a 4-500 capacity venue seem like an arena, and an arena seem like a pub gig! I was at the O2 when Guy gave the bloke his Strat, it was an amazing moment, I’m not sure a lot of people thought Guy was really serious, but a couple of minutes after the bloke got the guitar, one of the crew went down to the end of the runway extension and beckoned the bloke down, and handed over the case to put it in.
    Guy’s song-writing and arranging skills are outstanding, one of the best in the business, as the NME listed recently; hearing 17,000 people singing One Day Like This at the top of their voices is pretty uplifting.

rOcKeTdOg

To imagine otherwise seems remarkably ignorant of how 6Music works.

That’ll be because I don’t listen to it so imagination is all I can base it on and that comment confirms all my preconceptions about the station & those who listen to it

redstripe
    Free Member

I’m sure he’s a nice chap but I do find him a bit boring to listen to on his show, and ditto his own / Elbow’s music. Usually retune when he comes on. That said he’s not as bad as some they have on like Shaun Keaveney.

DezB
    Free Member

“Nice?! Nice?! Music isn’t supposed to be NICE!” Alexei Sayle 8)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Guy Garvey….. surely the nicest man on the planet?’ is closed to new replies.