Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Guns Don't Kill People. 9 Year Olds Do.
  • RaveyDavey
    Free Member

What are the laws for an officer using there gun.

There don’t appear to be many if any. They just let fly with as much firepower as they have and sod the consequences. I’m glad I live in a country where the plod only get gas and telescopic batons unless they have rigorous training in firearms.

crankboy
    Free Member

LHS you repeatedly state one can’t compare different countries but that is exactly what you sought to do when you posted:-
    “One things for sure, look at the levels of violent crime by country and the UK is number 2 in the world. Highest in Europe.”
    Which is also nonsense as has been pointed out.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m glad I live in a country where the plod only get gas and telescopic batons unless they have rigorous training in firearms.

LOL! You wish! You should hear some of the stories about coppers weapon handling skills from squaddies when they’ve had to train with them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wanmankylung
    Free Member

chip
    Free Member

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

LOL! You wish! You should hear some of the stories about coppers weapon handling skills from squaddies when they’ve had to train with them.

Ha Ha best post ever! As an ex squaddie mate let me tell you that most of us couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a shovel let alone control a Browning Hi-Power! We were told a hand gun was a back up weapon and if you ever got in a situation where you had to draw one you were probably not getting out of it alive. I don’t even think squaddies are issued side arms any more but I could be wrong.

chip
    Free Member

I could hit a coke can at 30 yards with a berreta 9mm , what are they teaching you soldier boys.

badllama
    Free Member

Hi-Powers were total shit IMO. Me being of an age when we were allowed hand guns I shot them every other weekend.

Always found it had a very wippy recoil hated shooting the bloody thing now a Colt 45 was a completely different beast cracking gun super smooth very accurate. 🙂

The story goes when the bans were coming in every one bought up any old second hand shit as they got full price compo for when the police carted them away and paid up 🙂

Still miss shooting them though 😐
    Edit
    I could hit a coke can at 30 yards with a bow and arrow 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

chip – Member
    I could hit a coke can at 30 yards with a berreta 9mm , what are they teaching you soldier boys.
    POSTED 24 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

here we go!

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I’m not doubting you fellas could give wyatt earp a run for his money 😀 just saying that your average squaddie isn’t blessed with shooting skills especially with a handgun. Hi-Power was ok and reliable but crap compared to baretta or fancy Sig and Glocks. I don’t think side arms are standard issue now but SA80 not much bigger.

chip
    Free Member

After the boer war where the British were shown they could not shoot for shit by the Dutch the British government pushed for all men folk to shoot for a pastime.
    Encouraging shooting clubs all round the country and even in pubs.
    Through tunnel type contraptions.

Because if the country could shoot well they would have readymade marksman when and if needed to be called up.

So that really surprises me that the don’t teach the army to shoot well because they learnt a long time ago an army that can’t shoot is like a chocolate fire guard.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, looks like I’ve started a flame war. My work here is done. :mrgreen:

So that really surprises me that the don’t teach the army to shoot well because they learnt a long time ago an army that can’t shoot is like a chocolate fire guard.

On a serious note….times changed, it’s all about lobbing as much HE and automatic fire down range into the vicinity of the enemy. Historically, soldiers were notoriously bad at drawing a bead on someone and killing them…..you know…what with having a sense of humanity and all.

In the days when most troops were armed with bolt action rifles that had a relatively slow rate of fire and shot rather large rounds that limited the amount of ammo that a soldier carried, then aimed shots were the norm. After the second world war people slowly started to realize that most troops didn’t aimed to kill, that about 10 percent of frontline soldiers did most of the killing and that most of the fighting took place under 300 yards. Hence the move to automatic weapons using smaller calibers, this lead to wars such as the vietnam war seeing a hell of a lot more ammunition expended per engagement/kill.

chip
    Free Member

If there is someone willing to kill me , I would rather mark my target and get him shot the sooner the better.
    But I see your point but still would expect them to be able to shoot well even if they are not expected to do so.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    I am amazed a nine year old could actually hold an Uzi

Big grip on an uzi too. Doubt the kid would have had a proper grip and when they pressed the trigger it would have risen up and to the left probs.

Silly. Just silly.

LHS
    Free Member

LHS you repeatedly state one can’t compare different countries but that is exactly what you sought to do when you posted:-
    “One things for sure, look at the levels of violent crime by country and the UK is number 2 in the world. Highest in Europe.”
    Which is also nonsense as has been pointed out

I think it is fair to compare the UK with other European countries. Comparing the UK with the rest of Europe as an entirity would be different. Very easy to generalise.

miketually
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Unless you triple the penalty for any crime where use of a handgun is involved.

At what point does the robber have nothing to lose by opening fire rather than being caught?[/quote]

You make the penalty for just having the weapon on you bigger, for using it even bigger. If you’ve a choice between 18 months or 18 years, you’ve something to lose. (Numbers chosen largely at random; no idea what sentencing is like in the States.)

We did it here fairly recently for knives or other weapons, sentencing guidelines now suggest a mandatory jail term for anyone who uses a knife or offensive weapon to threaten and endanger others.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I agree on the increased penalties and jail terms but this is where the US has the advantage. They just keep building prisons to cope with the increased numbers. In the UK the criminals know that the prison system is at breaking point and you will probably get suspended sentence and community service for a simple possession.

rossatease
    Free Member

chip – Member
    After the boer war where the British were shown they could not shoot for shit by the Dutch the British government pushed for all men folk to shoot for a pastime.
    Encouraging shooting clubs all round the country and even in pubs.
    Through tunnel type contraptions.

Because if the country could shoot well they would have readymade marksman when and if needed to be called up.

I can assure you they still teach them, living as we do not far from the ranges, they’re on the go night and bloody day at times. There used to be a small arms school next to where I live, went there myself when I was a kid and they let the boy scouts do badges on the subject and there were clubs anyone could attend and learn to eventually fire full bore.

But you only got to full bore once you were competent at .22 and nobody went near Automatics until they were 16 minimum. The yanks are beyond help.

jfletch
    Free Member

Again, you can’t compare a country like the US to the UK. Completely different system.

This is total horse shit

I am assuming you haven’t travelled to or lived in the US. Go to Georgia, Alabama, NY, California, Iowa… and compare the people, lifestyle. Then try and get your head around local, county, state, and federal law system.

Add on top of that a land area the size of the entirity of Europe and a population 6 times that of the UK, you will realise you can’t directly compare the two countries.[/quote]

You can compare anything you want.

Ironically you can even compare apples and oranges. An apple is green/red but an orange is orange, both are edible, both are fruit and so on.

Just as I can compare the UK and the USA, both are member states of the UN, both have a democratically elected government, the USA runs a federal system but the UK does not. The USA has a very high number of firearms related deaths compared to the UK.

Your lower level of detail gives some insight into why this is the case but it doesn’t mean a top level comparison to say the USA as a whole is a very backward society when it comes to guns is not a valid comparision.

LHS
    Free Member

Your lower level of detail gives some insight into why this is the case but it doesn’t mean a top level comparison to say the USA as a whole is a very backward society when it comes to guns is not a valid comparision.

It’s a gross generalisation. If you are happy with that then ok, but it’s exactly the same as saying:

British people as a whole have bad teeth or British people as a whole love Football.

Texas has a bigger land area than France. That is just one of 50 states. Go to Dallas or Houston then go to San Francisco or New York and tell me the people are the same. If California was a country, it would have a larger land area than Germany and it would have the 8th largest economy in the world.

LHS
    Free Member

Or to put it another way in terms of gun ownership.

By state, the percentage of gun ownership is as follows:

New York – 18%
    California – 23%
    Alabama – 51%

Big differences between states that are bigger than most European countries.

chip
    Free Member

Lots of Americans own guns for protection .
    Lots of Americans own guns for recreation.
    Lots of Americans believe that if the government took there guns and right to own them.
    They would be left unable to protect them selfs from the government itself because as long as they have weapons it would be a guarantee against a government turning dictator, and if they did they would have the weapons needed for a reveloution.

crankboy
    Free Member

LHS …and despite you saying it is so, the UK is not the second most violent country in the world . and despite you saying it is not so the murder rate in the US is 4x greater than in the UK.

In the UK there are great regional differences between gun ownership and gun crime.

The special pleading does not obviate the clear fact that the US has a very real problem with gun crime and accidental firearms fatalities , specifically because of an “American” way.

Any similar country is by any standard 3rd world.

athgray
    Free Member

I feel sorry for the girl. I am sure it will haunt her for the rest of her life. Did the footage leading up to the shooting have to be put in the public domain? It is out there now forever.

konabunny
    Free Member

Perhaps surprisingly, the kind of dickheads that roll around unlawfully carrying guns aren’t dissuaded from doing so by mandatory minimum sentences. Various jurisdictions in the US have tried mandatory minimum sentences for loads of crimes and it doesn’t do sod all to cut criminal activity.

sentencing guidelines now suggest a mandatory jail term

Well, which is it? Is it suggested or mandatory?

jfletch
    Free Member

It’s a gross generalisation. If you are happy with that then ok, but it’s exactly the same as saying:

British people as a whole have bad teeth or British people as a whole love Football.

Saying British people have bad teeth isn’t the same as this isn’t backed up by facts or stats regarding dental hygene.

But saying British people love football is the same. It not only the same but it also correct in the same way. British people do love football. That doesn’t mean every one of us loves football but as a nation we do love football. It’s our national sport.

Trying to argue that the USA don’t have a gun problem becuase the number of guns varies between New York and Alabama is about as ludicrous as saying Britain doesn’t love football becuase you don’t like football.

Britain is a nation of football lovers (relative to other sports)
    The USA is a nation of gun lovers (relative to other nations)

Both facts

Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Guns Don't Kill People. 9 Year Olds Do.’ is closed to new replies.