Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gunnera manicata
  • Ambrose

I really want one of these in my garden. I have loads of room and an old abandoned pond. Has anyone on here got any experience of this leviathan of the plant world? Can I plant now? What preparation do I need to do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gunnera_manicata3.JPG

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What preparation do I need to do?

You’ll need lots and lots of this

Hohum
    Free Member

They can grow into huge plants if the conditions are right for them.

From what I have read about them they love moisture, the more, the better!

So planting it by your pond where the roots can get down into a constant supply of water should serve it well.

They are a very old plant and would have been the food of dinosaurs many years ago.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I grew one at a previous house.

They love water and don’t like winter. I planted it in a hollow lined with polythene to retain moisture. And then covered the plant with compost when it died back in the winter to protect it.

It your pond is empty, plant it in there after filling the pond with soil.

Hohum
    Free Member

Cold is not too much of a problem for them, unless you live in a really cold place.

I have seen ones growing up here in Scotland that will often go below -10C in the winter.

The best thing to do with them is when the frost gets the leaves fold them back over the heart of the plant to protect it from the worst of the winter.

Ambrose

Would now be a good time to plant one?

Hohum
    Free Member

Depends how big it is and where you live in the country.

Even for the more favoured parts of the UK it is getting close to cut off time for planting in the ground, particularly if we have another nasty winter.

Ambrose

I’m in South Wales, north facing slope, overshadowed by a big oak tree or two. I might need to wait I’m thinking.

Hohum
    Free Member

Agreed Ambrose.

Particularly as where you want to plant it is north facing.

bassspine
    Free Member

is that the things that look like giant spiky rhubarb with the caustic sap? cool! they’re like plants from the jurassic.

Ambrose

‘giant spiky rhubarb’ tick

‘with the caustic sap’ I was unaware of that. Do I need to worry?

bassspine
    Free Member

When I first encountered the plants I was warned to keep clear, some people have bad reactions from the sap.

Hohum
    Free Member

Ambrose – Member
    ‘giant spiky rhubarb’ tick

‘with the caustic sap’ I was unaware of that. Do I need to worry?

Never heard of Gunnera having nasty sap.

Euphorbias have nasty sap for some people.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, but in damp conditions at our old house Gunnera Magellanica (dwarf carpet version) grew really well and survived many winters without any maintenance.

Divagirl
    Free Member

Mine nearly died last winter but pulled through. It’s by my pond, not much room so its roots are bit constricted but it keeps it a reasonable size in my small garden. Not heard about sap problem before and never had any problems with it – another poster mentioned euphorbia – have these all over my garden and am v careful. Gunnerers like very wet conditions – north facing slope under a tree sounds quite dry to me, even for Wales 😉 I tend to plant any time of the year. Lovely plants 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gunnera manicata’ is closed to new replies.