Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Gumtree : "Is this still for sale?"
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

The standard one-off email to any ad you post. Had 5 of these so far on a karcher I’m selling.

Where do these people come from?

jam-bo

I had someone ask if they could borrow the tent i was trying to sell.

wiggles
    Free Member

I was selling a kids car seat for £12 to just get rid and I kept getting offered stupid things like “I’ll give you £8 if you deliver it” why are you buying a car seat if you don’t have a car?

Pick it up and give me £10 and it’s a deal and it never sold…

nealglover
    Free Member

I was selling a kids car seat for £12 to just get rid and I kept getting offered stupid things like “I’ll give you £8 if you deliver it” why are you buying a car seat if you don’t have a car?

To sell on eBay for £25 obvs.

Northwind

I buy a fair amount of stuff off gumtree and at least half the time, when I contact a seller it’s already gone. So “do you still have this” is a pretty reasonable opener I think

maccruiskeen

Is this still for sale?

Seems like a perfectly legitimate question – on ebay if an item sells the listing reflects that. Nothing about a gumtree ad reflects whether an item is still available or not and in some instances gumtree listings can sell in minutes.

However I asked ‘is this still for sale?” recently about something that was listed nearly a month ago… and it was… and now its mine.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yeah failing to see the issue asking if something is still for sale.

Plenty of times I’ve gone in with an offer and a time I can pick up that evening eager beaver only to be told it sold last week.

Maybe if OP replied to one of them he might sell the item!

kelron
    Free Member

They’re probably scammers or foreign, better safe than sorry.

wiggles
    Free Member

I think the op is having the same thing I did. Loads is it still for sale?

Fair enough but you reply “yes £10 and it’s yours” and then nothing they never reply so why ask?

Davesport

Try selling an inflatable boat and engine. Someone turned up who had no money to pay for it and no means of getting it home! He looked genuinely shocked that I wanted the money before he could have the boat. He had to go away to the cash machine and then round a lot of supermarkets to get cash-back. 20 minutes after the transaction was completed the doorbell went again. He couldn’t get the thing in his car! (A small two seater with an electric roof that stows into the boot) I managed to get the outboard into the boot but was skeptical that it could ever be removed again. The boat which was rolled up in a valise I spent 20 min physically kicking the thing through the door into the passenger seat for which the new owner was eternally gratefull 🙂

That was better than the bloke from Newcastle who wanted it delivered from East Lothian for half of the asking price.

Gumtree is top for entertainment!

bikebouy
    Free Member

But is it still for sale, you’ve not mentioned that.

doris5000

yeah i think that’s a reasonable question – i often start with that if the ad is over a week old.

placed my first ever listing this week. An air purifier. So far:

Random: Is it still for sale?
    Me: Yes it is.
    Random: Is it a dehumidifier?
    Me: No, it’s an air purifier.
    Random: …..

mrmoofo

I think if you find that perfectly reasonable question tiring, then Gumtree is not for you ….
    Both the sellers and buyers seem to be populated by people you spend the rest of your life trying to avoid …. 😕

jambourgie
    Free Member

I sold a drill for £15. Guy turns up with a twenty, asks if I have change. I don’t, but offer to hold on to it for him. Guy say’s “Oh well, nevermind” and walks off…

nealglover
    Free Member

I sold a drill for £15. Guy turns up with a twenty, asks if I have change. I don’t, but offer to hold on to it for him. Guy say’s “Oh well, nevermind” and walks off…

Fake £20.

I’m on a roll in this quick fire round 😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

I would’ve accepted the fake twenty!

matt_outandabout

I had someone ask to hire a bike I was selling… They did offer £50 deposit to be fair…

bigjim

It’s because as a buyer on gumtree 75% of the time when you ask about it it’s already sold. If you don’t want people to ask if something is on sale maybe don’t sell anything :p

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I get those questions on the same day it was listed.
    yeah, it is still for sale cos it was listed at 8am and I’m at work so can’t really have flogged it in the last 90 mins.

I put up a drumkit this morning for £200. Two hours later I get an offer of £75. My response was “this seems unlikely”, then got a torrent of abuse for not understanding haggling.
    I emailed back saying it was £250. Then that I only wanted £50. Then that I’d give him £35 to take it away. Then that the price was £250.

We’ll see what I get back.

devash
    Free Member

Just listed a bike I have for sale on a couple of Facebook marketplaces. A couple of genuine enquiries so far but lots of “is this still for sale?” from lads whose FB profile content (pictures of stolen bikes, chav cars and tracksuits) makes me not want to give them my address. 😆

wordnumb
    Free Member

I had someone ask to hire a bike I was selling… They did offer £50 deposit to be fair…

Fake £50 note.
    Am I playing the game right?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

wiggles – Member
    I think the op is having the same thing I did. Loads is it still for sale?

Fair enough but you reply “yes £10 and it’s yours” and then nothing they never reply so why ask?

You’re the only one that gets it!

Yes… i reply and say ‘yes’, then silence!

nealglover
    Free Member

I would’ve accepted the fake twenty

That would have messed up his carefully calculated margins though.

Buy fake £20 with real £5
    Buy drill with fake £20 and get real £5 back in change.
    Buy some snouts and a brick with real £5
    Sell drill on eBay for £22 + £5 p+p
    Post brick for £5
    Buy lager and snouts for £22.

It’s all accounted for. :lol

jambourgie
    Free Member

Just listed a bike I have for sale on a couple of Facebook marketplaces. A couple of genuine enquiries so far but lots of “is this still for sale?” from lads whose FB profile content (pictures of stolen bikes, chav cars and tracksuits) makes me not want to give them my address.

Hi. Is the bike still available?

antimony
    Free Member

I’ve just had a bloke (with a strong foreign accent) phone me about the wheels and winter tyres I’ve currently listed on Gumtree, he seems very keen and is apparently coming tomorrow to buy them – he’s already knocked me down £20 to £180. He asked about the best route to get here from Kensington London, I’m in Cheshire!!!!!! We’ll see if he turns up?

ransos
    Free Member

Try selling an inflatable boat and engine.

Did you win it on Bullseye?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Someone bought a mattress I was selling and arrived with a roll of clingfilm to wrap it in… There was no way this was going to work but he tried anyway. Held it upright, then went around it with clingfilm, only to find the mattress bent over and the clingfilm was sticking to itself.

THis went on for about 20 minutes until the entire roll of clingfilm had stuck to itself and not the mattress, then he strapped it to his roof and drove home via the m25.

It’s probably still at the side of the m25 somewhere.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Any Gumtree ad I post the first line is always:-

PLEASE NOTE: I MANAGE MY GUMTREE ADS AND IF AN ITEM IS SOLD I REMOVE THE AD. IF YOU CAN STILL SEE THE AD, THE ITEM IS STILL FOR SALE.

If anyone still asks I ignore them (haven’t had any yet). I don’t know why people don’t remove ads when the item is sold (well I do really).

Jamie
    Free Member

Most of those replies are bots.

cbike
    Free Member

I ask that question by default. Seems reasonable before wasting either parties time. Often it is sold and they just haven’t got round to deleting their ad. But since it seems to offend what do you suggest instead?

I like decisive proactive buyers that move fast. I try to buy myself in the same style. and often you get sellers that don’t offer a time for collection, then get annoyed when you make that decision for them. I also give people time to get organised.

Be civil to them when they come as well. Nothing worse than taking the cash and abandoning folk in your garage when they might need a hand.

Basically Chill.

funkmasterp

I always get the random “will you swap for” replies. A Guy offered me fishing tackle and (I quote) a really good torch for a bike I was selling. I asked loads of questions about how good the torch was and he didn’t respond 😥

jambourgie
    Free Member

I would’ve been well excited about a really good torch.

sirromj

Did it have Duracell batteries?

deadkenny
    Free Member

antimony – Member
    He asked about the best route to get here from Kensington London, I’m in Cheshire!!!!!! We’ll see if he turns up?

He’ll then ring and say he’s arranged a courier to pick it up and he’s given a wad of cash (fake notes) to the courier 😀 (probably scammed the courier also, or he’s got a mate in Cheshire).

dmorts

I discovered Hotmail/Outlook junks email replies from sellers, hence the prospective buyer never gets the reply…. unless they check junk mail regularly

codybrennan
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    The standard one-off email to any ad you post. Had 5 of these so far on a karcher I’m selling.

Where do these people come from?

I am one of these people, reason being: no-one on Gumtree seems to know how to delete an advert when its sold.

Clue- its in the ‘manage my adverts’ section.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Sold a few things on gumtree and had a few real hotties turn up, although had a few crackpots too ,0)

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up about Gumtree guys. Never been on it before but this thread caught my interest. Really keen to buy something through it especially if a hottie is selling it.

Not sure what to buy though. Choices range from a £1 Princess Diana life story book to a £19950 burger van traiiler. Which one will the hottie be selling? Any advice folks?

oldtalent
    Free Member

Contact them and ask for a picture to verify.

antimony
    Free Member

antimony – Member
    I’ve just had a bloke (with a strong foreign accent) phone me about the wheels and winter tyres I’ve currently listed on Gumtree, he seems very keen and is apparently coming tomorrow to buy them – he’s already knocked me down £20 to £180. He asked about the best route to get here from Kensington London, I’m in Cheshire!!!!!! We’ll see if he turns up?

Unbelievable!!! He turned up when he said, 4 hours drive from London. Turns out he’s going to Austria later this week and must have winter tyres, mine were the easiest option. My faith in humanity is restored

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Gumtree : "Is this still for sale?"’ is closed to new replies.